Readers Against Prejudice and Racism discussion

Group Discussions > Do you think that prejudice and racism still exists today?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (last edited Jan 19, 2011 08:38PM) (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 688 comments Mod
For many years, prejudice and racism has existed in society. Now, it seems that it is no longer a present issue, or is it? Do you think prejudice and racism still exists?

I think prejudice and racism still exists to this very day. It was very evident after 9/11. It is just more concealed than it was during the 1900s - 1960s, however this could present a problem in the future. If there is no way to expose the prejudice and racism still going on in today's society, then this could blow over in many years and there's no telling what damage could happen in the future throughout the world.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) I'm sorry to have to say this, but I think it will always exist. Human nature being what it is, some people need to find something to hate 'others' about. Skin color, religion, gender - whatever bigots and haters will find something to focus on. At least now most of the civilized world frowns upon slavery and lynchings.

message 3: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Yes exactly! I agree that many people in present times do indeed frown upon slavery and lynchings, unfortunately, since hatred is apart of human nature, you can't really get rid of the racism and prejudice going on in the world, but you can always try to prevent it from becoming a major problem in the world.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 100 comments YES! When I was younger I thought that if everyone were purple then no one could be prejudiced about skin color. Then I realized that people would categorize themselves as "lilac" or "eggplant". "Periwinkles" might be.... while "Grape"skinned people would be... People have a need to feel superior to others and we'll always have this. Although I'll always be hopeful that we can continue to work on our particular prejudices and winnow them down. I must confess I'm somewhat prejudiced against stupid people.

message 5: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

LOL!! I loved the purple skinned people reference Kathy!!

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Yes to all of the above - including, especially, the fact that we still have to try. I mean, I couldn't live with myself if I didn't do what I can to fight bigotry. At the very least I'm raising my kids carefully.

message 7: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Yeah! I just can't stand by and let prejudice go on!

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 100 comments When you think about it, we actually have come quite far. Lord, even my parents no longer thinks that gay people are evil!

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Mitchell I still occasionally meet older people who seem nice enough until they start casually using the N-word to talk about 'those people' down the street in the apartment complex. I could go on and on about my discomfort and disgust during those situations, when that ugly words comes out, and the position it puts me in, to either try to ignore it or make a clear objection. It's a situation that's come up many times in my life with different people, but much less frequently over the years.

message 10: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (last edited Jan 25, 2011 12:28AM) (new)

Joseph wrote: "I still occasionally meet older people who seem nice enough until they start casually using the N-word to talk about 'those people' down the street in the apartment complex. I could go on and on a..."

Yeah, I'm usually offended whenever the N-words pokes up in a conversation and what is sad is that I still hear so many people use that word like it's nothing. That word is clearly an insult and should never be used in a causal conversation.

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne (ladyanniee1) | 5 comments Had anyone read the book called "Race" by the author Marc Aronson? I am interested in it

message 12: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Anne wrote: "Had anyone read the book called "Race" by the author Marc Aronson? I am interested in it"

I haven't read that book yet, but it sounds interesting! Adding it to the shelf!

message 13: by Kristl (new)

Kristl I disagree that there will always be racism. Americans have invented a particularly evil form of racism that has never existed in any other country or time. American racism is founded on a coalition of rich whites who encourage poor whites to despise other, non-white, poor people. The coalition is designed to allow the rich to get richer because poor whites vote to keep them in power. I am including a link to a blog post that details a short history of racism.
https://abagond.wordpress.com/2015/02...
If you like this post, consider subscribing to his feed via email. I consider him to be the encyclopedia of white supremacy and colonialism.

message 14: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Kristl wrote: "I disagree that there will always be racism. Americans have invented a particularly evil form of racism that has never existed in any other country or time. American racism is founded on a coalitio..."

Hmmm...that's an interesting point...I knew there were problems in the societal classes as of late, but I've never looked at it from this angle.

message 15: by Kristl (last edited Feb 22, 2015 09:12AM) (new)

Kristl (Warning: Shameless self promotion follows)
Roynell -
This is one of several themes of my book
The Wheat Money 1865 - 2015 by Kristl Tyler
one of many lessons I learned by reading the works of giants like Michelle Alexander, Isabel Wilkerson, etc

message 16: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Kristl wrote: "(Warning: Shameless self promotion follows)
Roynell -
This is one of several themes of my book
The Wheat Money 1865 - 2015 by Kristl Tyler
one of many lessons I learned by reading the work..."

Oh, this deals with racism and prejudice during the 1800s?

message 17: by Kristl (new)

Kristl It traces our two families from the end of the Civil War to today. 150 years. It talks about every bit of dirt the US did to blacks while also covering how my family was lifted up. You can read the first chapter on my website www.TheWheatMoney.com

It can be thought of almost as a primer or whirlwind tour of American systemic racism. I am getting a lot of good feedback.

message 18: by Anne (new)

Anne (ladyanniee1) | 5 comments Of course there will always be prejudice and racism. As unfortunate as this thought is, I dont see how every person in this world can be convinced how destructive these feelings are.

message 19: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Kristl wrote: "It traces our two families from the end of the Civil War to today. 150 years. It talks about every bit of dirt the US did to blacks while also covering how my family was lifted up. You can read the..."

Interesting! Adding it to the shelf!

message 20: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Anne wrote: "Of course there will always be prejudice and racism. As unfortunate as this thought is, I dont see how every person in this world can be convinced how destructive these feelings are."

Yeah, that's the sad part. Even though most people know that racism and prejudice is wrong, it will always be there since some people will still develop a reason to hate someone, even if that race and culture is accepted in society.