Along The Enchanted Way discussion

General > What is your favorite fairy tale?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 11 comments Mod
The fairy tale I best like to read retellings of is Beauty and the Beast. I love the way the relationship develops. There is a lot of room for an author to expand on the idea. It can also translate well to modern retellings.

My favorite fairy tale in and of itself is probably The Little Mermaid. Reading it for the first time was a shock because it is so different from the Disney version. I find it terribly tragic, but at the same time I have to admire how strong this girl was to go through what she did for the person she loved. I like that the ending isn't perfectly happy. She still has a "sort-of" happy ending, and that seems truer to life.

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) I tend to really enjoy "East of the Sun, West of the Moon".

message 3: by Melissa (new)

I just recently heard of that story. (A benefit of Goodreads.) What about it do you like? Do you know of any good retellings of it?

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) It sounds silly, but I like the polar bear aspect of it.

I guess because I like it so much, I don't like any retelling of it to any great degree. There is [book:East|161887 which isn't so bad.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

That doesn't sound silly. It's no different than liking the "beast" aspect of Beauty and the Beast-- which I very much do! I've always thought that I would be a little sad, if my "beast" turned into a normal, regular man. Haha.

East has gotten a lot of good reviews, and I had been curious about reading it. The only reason I haven't yet was because I'm trying to buy everything on the Kindle now (just moved-- I have no room as it is, and I still have boxes of books to bring over, among other things). But hearing it one more time sealed the deal, and it's on its way! :)

message 6: by Noel (new)

Noel Maczko (noelmaczko) It's a tie between Snow White and Red Riding Hood.