Memoirs and Biographies We Love discussion

rock/country memoirs

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joyce (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Joyce | 1 comments There are many memoirs coming out from musicians, bands, and groupies of the 1960's.

What is your favorite?

I just read Patty Boyd's Wonderful Tonight. I had always heard the folklore of her marriages to George Harrison and Eric Clapton, but to read her account is so much richer. If you loved the songs she inspired, you have to read the complete story of her journey.

message 2: by Dina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Dina I've oly read 2 from the rock/country genre. Madonna and Cash. I can't remember much from Madonna, but it was ok. Cash was good, but especially touching for me because I've been a Johnny fan since I was wee. For those who want to know more about who he was and how he became big, this is pretty good.

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane  (DianeDJ) I just got Ronnie by Ronnie Wood for Christmas. YAY. Plan to start it tomorrow. I've skimmed it and I think it's going to be wild...but what else would it be, right? Maybe I should say it seems to be very candid.

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (dolphinsmile) | 1 comments My favorite so far is Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Rock and Roll's Legendary Neighborhood by Michael Walker.

message 5: by Diane (last edited Jan 18, 2008 01:43PM) (new)

Diane  (DianeDJ) Finished Ronnie by Ronnie Wood. I respect just how much Ronnie opened up his life in this book, the good and bad, including poor judgments from both business and personal standpoints. I'm sure it's not an easy thing to open up your life to the world like that. It was written simply, as though he were sitting across telling you his story. The last chapters focus on the tours, and tell just what they do before shows, after shows, etc. Very current book, finishing up with summer of 2007. In the early 60's, Ronnie tells about meeting and hanging with lots of other big names, Jeff Beck, Hendrix, Rod, etc. etc. Also lots of great photos throughout the book, including some of Ronnie's artwork....His marriage to Josephine has sustained it all, and it's great to hear him talk of her and their family too.

message 6: by karen (new)

karen reyes (Ancientreader) | 3 comments Not from the sixties, but I LOVED Scar Tissue, by lead singer Anthony Kiedis, from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. This is a great read with amazing insight into the life and troubles of a rock musician. After reading this book I thought, "How is it this man is still alive?" I read this book two times, just to make sure I read it right - and because it was sooooo good!

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane  (DianeDJ) Karen - I thought the same when reading Ronnie "how is this man still alive" ?

message 8: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 12 comments I just read "Coming Home to Myself" by Wynona Judd. Interesting reading about the family dynamics of the Judd family and the many struggles they have experienced.

message 9: by MBP (new)

MBP I just read I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon, by his former wife Crystal Zevon, and Clapton: The Autobiography. I enjoyed them both, although I wished there was a way to reach beyond the grave and slap Warren Zevon for some of the cruel things he did to his loved ones.

Clapton's book was more uplifting: he also came through the drug/alcohol addictions and seems to have reached a state of happiness. You can feel his love for his wife and family, and he's very generous in his praise of some of the great artists he's worked with.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (TRMite) I can't recommend this book strongly enough:

This Land Was Made for You and Me: The Life and Songs of Woody Guthrie

message 11: by JaYson (new)

JaYson | 1 comments I fell in love with REBA My Story the biography of Reba McEntire. I couldn't believe that such a small town girl made it so high in the ranks of music history. Unlike some autobiographies this one is good from page 1 all the way to the end!

message 12: by Shasta (new)

Shasta | 2 comments I read Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx
WOW an amazing story that everyone should read. He really takes all the glamour out of drugs, and shows the raw disgusting life of an addict. I can relate to the whole book...6years clean now though!!! If teenagers were required to read this, it would probably prevent a lot of them from trying drugs.