Beyond Reality discussion

Short story discussions > January 20, 2011 - RESTORATION OF FAITH by Jim Butcher

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (last edited Jan 19, 2011 06:48PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I apologize for getting this posted so late. I aim to have the stories selected at least 5 days or so in advance, but life got away from me this week.

Our Day 20 story for January, 2011 is a fairly brief one. It is a prequel story to the Dresden Files novels by Jim Butcher, taking place in the same universe but preceding the stories told in that series and offering a tidy introduction to that world. The story is included in the Dresden collection Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files.

The story can be found online at the author's website.

Print format: Restoration of Faith

(Please let us know if you have information about a free audio offering of this story.)

message 2: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Hey, folks. I've been out sick, and I've let this slide a bit. I've decided not to select a Day 5 story for this month, both because it's past Day 5 and because our Day 20 story from January is still sitting here dormant. I'm going to leave Jim Butcher's story as our most recent story until Feb. 20th, at which time I'll post links to a current release story as I usually do on for the 5th. I want everyone who's interested to have time to read this and discuss it. (I confess I haven't had a chance to read it myself, but I'll post my thoughts when I have.)

Has anyone read this yet? Does it provide a good introduction to the Dresden universe?

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I first read this story after I was already familiar with the Dresden stories, and I really enjoyed it. I do think it captures the essence of the character and the world, and the style of narration, so if people like the short story, I definitely think they would enjoy picking up the series.

message 4: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I read it and found it kind of "meh". I mean, it was an okay story, but I think it would serve better as a tidbit for someone already reading the series than an overall introduction. (When was it written, before or after the series was started? Does anyone know?)

But I admit to not being a Dresden fan. I read the first book and it just didn't really grab me and I never read any more. I felt the same way about the story. It doesn't excite me and make me want to go back to the series.

But I do think that in that way, it is a good introduction to the character and the series. Colleen says she really liked it and I get the impression she likes the series too. I found both to be kind of "meh". So it probably does give you a good feel for if you're going to like the series.

I did like the troll under the bridge though. Is the production of all those little trolls ever dealth with in the series proper?

message 5: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3330 comments Mod
I recently ordered Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files, so I'll check back to this thread after I get the book and read the story.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Kerry wrote: "I read it and found it kind of "meh". I mean, it was an okay story, but I think it would serve better as a tidbit for someone already reading the series than an overall introduction. (When was it w..."

I can't find an original date for when Restoration of Faith was written, so I have no idea, but my gut says it was probably written after, because the tone of it feels more like some of the later books in the series, when Butcher had settled himself down into it.

(Most people who like the series suggest at least giving it through the second book to decide, as the first is almost universally agreed to be not that strong of a start.)

I've only read through book 10 - but I don't recall the trolls being addressed in any of the other stories. Then again, there are a lot of little details strewn throughout the books that I forget - but nothing rang any bells.

message 7: by Lurple (new)

Lurple | 12 comments As a fan of the Dresden series I've been meaning to read Side Jobs for a while; I'll try to fit it in before the 20th.

As Collen mentions, the first book in the series isn't that good- I nearly dropped the series after reading Storm Front years ago. I wish I could just tell you to skip it, but the series probably makes more sense if you start at the beginning.

The good news is that it gets better, and I think Butcher has improved as a writer with nearly everything new he writes. I'm partway trough Changes, and thus far it's pretty good.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) Well anyone who knows me knows that I've loved the Dresden books from Storm Front on. But I'd suggest that if it doesn't grab you give the series to the THIRD book, even skip Fool Moon and go to the third if you don't think you'll want to hold on through 3 books (which I can see if you didn't like the first all that much). The series is top notch in my opinion, but it takes a huge step up in volumes 3 and 4 (again, just my opinion). I liked all the stories in Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files but again that's with the caveat that I seem to be a huge Butcher fan (I also like his Codex Alera books, though not as much as the Dresden books).

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I do agree that the series picks up in books 3 and 4, Mike - I think because that's when the overarching plotline starts to really take hold.

But I also liked the series from the beginning. I've just heard a lot of people say they don't like the first one much, but enjoyed it later.

As for Side Jobs, I'm going to avoid it until after I've read Changes, since I heard there's a story in it that takes places after Changes, and I don't want to spoil myself (anymore than I already have been spoiler).

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) Ya I can see that. It's the last story in the book, and I went straight to it. :)