CoS Forums discussion

An obvious one for CoS

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui | 24 comments Mod
What's your favourite Harry Potter book?

message 2: by Yoana (new)

Yoana | 22 comments Half-Blood Prince and Goblet of Fire, and I can never decide which one I like better. As with most everything else in my life that I like excessively, the reasons for both are primarily personal, and not objective - GoF marked the start of my serious obsession with HP (couldn't put it down, read until 3 am when I had to be up before 7, started having vivid HP dreams); and HBP was the first book I pre-ordered, and the reason I found CoS (I had to find out who R.A.B. was!) - also the book I kept re-reading while I was in India, thus founding out just how engrossing HP could be. Also, Snape!!!

message 3: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui | 24 comments Mod
For me, it's PoA. It was the first one I read and I've always enjoyed it. It also seems to be the one I've read the least, for some reason.

message 4: by Daph (new)

Daph (Loving Books) (lvngbooks) | 3 comments Hmm tough one, since mine seem to vary every few weeks, but right now (and most often) it's Deathly Hallows. It's the epic finale and I went through all sorts of emotions on this one - sadness, anger, relief, confusion, everything. I didn't see the Snape 360 turn coming. The book was a complete rollercoaster for me and I loved the ride. Second favorite is HBP: it's so dark, so tense.. I love it.

message 5: by Melaszka (last edited Jan 20, 2011 11:20AM) (new)

Melaszka | 17 comments Like Yoana, I think it's a toss-up between GoF and HBP.

GoF was the first one I read and has lots of "OMG! I didn't see that one coming!" moments. HBP is basically all about Snape!

Mind you, I also like OOtP. Those are definitely my favourite three. I love the longer, meatier volumes that all the critics said were unfocused and self-indulgent.

message 6: by Leah (new)

Leah (leah49) | 13 comments Half-Blood Prince, I think. Sometimes I prefer PoA, but I think overall it's HBP.

message 7: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucybird) | 6 comments CoS and HBP, can you see the common theme?

message 8: by Yoana (new)

Yoana | 22 comments Melaszka said: "I love the longer, meatier volumes that all the critics said were unfocused and self-indulgent."

Those critics must not have been HP fans. :p

message 9: by Sara (last edited Jan 21, 2011 03:54AM) (new)

Sara (sarasakr) | 11 comments Wow, HBP seems to be the 'favorite' here; it ranks a bit low on my list, though. People often complain how annoying Harry is, in OotP, but I think he's much more so in HBP, with his obsession with Draco.

Anyways, my favourite would be Deathly Hallows, it just has some of the greatest moments in the series! Order of the Pheonix is a close second.

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Krakover (rockets2writing) | 5 comments Prisoner of Azkaban but order of the phoenix is a close second, it'd be first if Sirius didnt die in it

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (escapeebee) | 4 comments I'm another one with a lot of love for HBP! I think despite the dark tone of it I've always loved the comedy bits, and my two favourite couples get together in this book so that influences my choice quite a lot as well because I'm a bit of a sucker for that kind of thing. I was just thinking about why it's my favourite and only just realised that the first time I read it I was the same age as the trio and in the same year at school, so I could probably relate to it a lot at that time :)

The last three are pretty close though, I re-read those most often. And PoA was my childhood favourite so I have a lot of love for that one.

message 12: by Anum (new)

Anum (anumraza) My favorite would have to be PoA. I think that was the book that made me really hooked onto the series so I'm still fond of it because of that.

After that I think I like DH because some scenes in there are my favorites in the whole series, but the flaws in it made it less impressive to me than PoA.

message 13: by RainaWeather (new)

RainaWeather | 5 comments Mod
I love Half-Blood Prince AND I thought Harry was very annoying in that book. But I still love it. That and Deathly Hallows are my favorites.

But I also love Sorcerer's Stone because I find Harry's complete ignorance to be amusing.

message 14: by Melaszka (new)

Melaszka | 17 comments @lilyrose I loved the Voldemort backstory! Merope is one of my favourite characters in the series.

Thinking about it, I think the amount of backstory in HBP is probably why I like it so much (although it's also why a lot of people don't like it - my niece, who is a big HP fan, was very disappointed with that book because of its concentration on backstory, rather than plot and action)

message 15: by Leah (new)

Leah (leah49) | 13 comments Sometimes I say DH is my favorite. Sometimes it is HBP and on rare occasion it is PoA (like I said before). Why HBP? I hate Ron with Lavender, but I love what he learns from the relationship. I am a huge Ron fan and a huge Ron/Hermione shipper. I think Ron is funnier here than in any previous book. The tone of the book feels different from the others as well. I don't think I can explain that part of it well, but I just feel different reading it than I do the others. I dislike Ron and Hermione fighting in this one, but I know how necessary it is for both of them.

message 16: by Yoana (new)

Yoana | 22 comments @Leah - I agree, I think one of the main reasons why I like HBP so much, apart from Snape, is the romance absurdity. I love hopw Ron and Hermione suddenly turn all irrational and hysterical on Harry and he's left there wondering what the hell is wrong with the world. It makes me laugh every time I read it.

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarasakr) | 11 comments @Melaszka: I loved Voldemort's backstory, too! In fact it's the only thing that kept me interested in the book. It made up for ROn and Hermione's fights, Harry's obsession with what Draco is up to and the Potions book..

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie (rosiecotton_dancing) Prisoner of Azkaban for me. I don't know what it is about it... I guess it just has all the right things. Also Harry becomes less of a 'just got lucky' young boy to a real, capable hero.