Art Lovers discussion

Just for fun!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 115 (115 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Heather (last edited Jan 19, 2011 05:28PM) (new)

Heather | 4 comments

Can you spot the hidden man in this scene?

http://www.moillusions.com/

message 2: by Heather (last edited Jan 19, 2011 05:29PM) (new)

Heather | 4 comments

As you can see, the woman is hanging a bath towel on a clothesline, but is unaware of the sensual illusion to which we have fallen victim. No, the woman isn’t really nude. You’ll probably want to check this again!

The towel depicts motive of five dolphins playing in the algae (sea grass), which “accidentally” resembles something else. If you don’t believe me, check out the window reflection in background – it clearly shows that the woman is decent and wearing her clothes as she should.

http://www.moillusions.com/

message 3: by Heather (last edited Jan 19, 2011 05:27PM) (new)

Heather | 4 comments

At first glance the photographs appear remarkably realistic, but rather than brave the elements, the artist prefers to create his own landscapes entirely out of food. Over the past 10 years, Warner has been making these kind landscapes and even published a book about them!

http://www.moillusions.com/2011/01/ca...

message 4: by Ed (last edited Jan 21, 2011 09:13PM) (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments I hope you all know the Look Alikes books by Joan Steiner?

She builds scenes out of small objects.
You might see Grand Central Station, but on closer examination it is shaving mugs and matches and postage stamps and dice, pocket mirrors and slinkies and peppermints.
Look Alikes

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments The Price of Gas in France

A thief in Paris planned to steal some paintings from the Louvre.

After careful planning, he got past security, stole the paintings, and made it safely to his van. However, he was captured only two blocks away when his van ran out of gas.
When asked how he could mastermind such a crime and then make such an obvious error, he replied, 'Monsieur, that is the reason I stole the paintings.'

I had no Monet

To buy Degas

[image error]
To make the Van Gogh

I posted this because I figured I have nothing Toulouse

message 6: by Pete (new)

Pete daPixie | 52 comments Heather, you never miss a lautrec!

message 7: by Dvora (new)

Dvora Pretty silly but got a chuckle from me. Thanks Heather.
Heather wrote: "The Price of Gas in France

A thief in Paris planned to steal some paintings from the Louvre.

After careful planning, he got past security, stole the paintings, and made it safely to his van. ..."

message 8: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments There is a scotch tape art contest. Some
pretty amazing stuff....

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments Interesting Ed! The scotch tape contest makes me think of the duct tape contest (although not art focused). But one year the winning couple had outfits that matched the pattern on the wall in Picasso's Girl before a mirror.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments
William and Kate Paper Dolls by Tom Tierney
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/99...

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments Fred imagined himself a brilliant artist. But his teacher said he was so bad it was a wonder he could draw breath.

What do you get if you cross a painter with a boxer?- Mohammed Dali

Vincent van Gough walks into a bar, and the bartender offers him a drink...No thank -you, said Vincent, I've got one 'ere.

The Mona Lisa was brought up in court on charges of murder,-but it turned out that she'd been framed...

message 12: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments Thumbs up for not taking art so seriously!

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Heather you are a jokester. I liked the Van Gogh, that was funny.

message 14: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Japanese artists So Kanno and Takahiro Yamaguchi have created a robot that can wield a spray can....

http://vimeo.com/30780208
It's all in the wrist! LOL.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments interesting! Looks like some modern graffiti!

message 16: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments I thought this was pretty hilarious, an Agony column of the Arts:

The Art Lover: Relationship Advice on Abstract Art, the Perils of Primitivism, and How to Pick a Museum to Set the Mood

Some excerpts:
"..Piet, you may think of it, in painting form, as something like the moan of a lover brought on by passion at its most bestial and exhalted...."

"What I can tell you about your conundrum is this: A good romantic pairing is like the issue of “quality” in the theory of art. To ruthlessly simplify, you could say... something is “art” simply because someone says it is, and that ultimately that choice has no meaning...."

"...“The Renaissance Portrait” will present you with the most delicate of aesthetic delights. And yet its themes of marriage, death, and fidelity may not be the best first-date material...."

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments That is fun, Ed. I like it when he replied "I ignore at the outset the fact that by the terms of the question you are slimy and I am socially awkward.". lol

message 18: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Salvador Dali's Dizzying Dinner Party
"The party was at a posh hotel in Monterey, California and theme was 'Night in a Surrealist Forest,' obviously. There were Unicorn costumes, red velvet beds, and baby lion cubs, meaning that it was another run of the mill dinner party, right? This is just one more reason why our mustachioed, lobster-loving artist friend Dali sounds like the funnest dinner date ever...."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01...

message 19: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Art joke:

Why shouldn't you draw with a broken pencil?
(view spoiler)

message 20: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Robinson | 4 comments Heather wrote: "

Can you spot the hidden man in this scene?

http://www.moillusions.com/"

Yup!

message 21: by Ed (last edited Jan 21, 2013 10:17PM) (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments "Heather wrote: "

Can you spot the hidden man in this scene?...

Dali did a few of those:

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Ed (last edited Jan 21, 2013 10:31PM) (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Tilt-shift van Gogh... three paintings photoshopped to get a tilt-shift effect...tilt shift is a kind of photography that uses a short range of focus to create photographs that look miniature....

More...

message 23: by Albin (new)

Albin Winters | 106 comments Heather wrote: "

As you can see, the woman is hanging a bath towel on a clothesline, but is unaware of the sensual illusion to which we have fallen victim. No, the woman isn’t really nude. You’ll probably want to..."

Quite a "Gotcha"!

message 24: by Albin (new)

Albin Winters | 106 comments Heather wrote: "

At first glance the photographs appear remarkably realistic, but rather than brave the elements, the artist prefers to create his own landscapes entirely out of food. Over the past 10 years, Warn..."

Clever!

message 26: by Dvora (new)

Dvora Good job, Heather!
Heather wrote: "http://www.theartwolf.com/games/

Kinda fun:
"

message 27: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments thanks, Dvora

message 28: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments A parody of art criticism by the inimitable Ze Frank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=...

message 29: by Ed (new)

message 30: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments
Amazing art by Jennifer Maestre

message 31: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Grodecki (lawrencegrodecki) Ed wrote: "A parody of art criticism by the inimitable Ze Frank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=..."

Thanks Ed, as you can see, "I'm running a little behind."

Now I understand what they mean when they say my art stinks!

message 32: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Grodecki (lawrencegrodecki) Heather wrote: ""

Funny Heather...I can see here that the monkey grew up? By the looks of things, I wouldn't want to criticize him too much!

message 33: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Grodecki (lawrencegrodecki) Here's a little art history, just for fun. I especially like the French "impressionism", as in the dancing and the "can, can" - oh my!

http://bit.ly/ZaCfG3

message 34: by Albin (new)

Albin Winters | 106 comments Amazing how much a (ahem!) certain generation learned about art and music from Looney Tunes!!

message 35: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Grodecki (lawrencegrodecki) Nah, that's not so amazing. What's really amazing is how one can get a PhD without actually studying any philosophy!

message 36: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Grodecki (lawrencegrodecki) By the way Albin, your book sounds quite fascinating, I never get tired of a good mystery.

message 37: by Dan's (new)

Dan's | 31 comments Lawrence wrote: "Here's a little art history, just for fun. I especially like the French "impressionism", as in the dancing and the "can, can" - oh my!

Well I had no idea this was part of amovie that was launched.. (seeing this on YT layout I caught up with some remarks)
they say it was a tottal failure, no ads , generate no bucks. But I always though that the last movie was that where they go head on against those monsters from space on a basketball rampage Game. Do U have any links with the movie, or a title perhaps?

message 38: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Grodecki (lawrencegrodecki) Sorry Dan, you'll have to satisfy your curiosity with your own search. I just posted it because it's pretty funny, not here to review or analyze it. However, out of curiosity, who are "they", or is that private?

message 39: by Heather (last edited May 27, 2013 07:05PM) (new)

Heather | 4 comments Lawrence wrote: "Here's a little art history, just for fun. I especially like the French "impressionism", as in the dancing and the "can, can" - oh my!

http://bit.ly/ZaCfG3"

That was funny Lawrence. Thanks!

message 40: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments Ed wrote: "Artistic flash mob.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video..."

SO cool, Ed! I had to post it on my friend's FB page, she got her Bachelors in Humanities. I think she would appreciate it.

message 41: by Dan's (last edited May 27, 2013 07:18PM) (new)

Dan's | 31 comments Well I concur with Heather.. The way Elmer was handled in that Toulouse Lautrec painting was ...giggles.. ( I got no words)

But Lawrence, I am not implying much , just some commentator, who mentioned this on the YT page.
@ Albin: About the way kids are handed down bits of culture and arts. What can I say my generation was never even given that chance , sadly I think that the Avg kid with the storming of data that it has to savour one is more likely to pass by the stunning imagery of those paintings.

message 42: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Grodecki (lawrencegrodecki) Thanks Heather, and I'm glad you liked that part Dan.

For me art is very much about "that inner child" and there just has to be some kind of humor in it.

I found this other Dali video this morning, so a big thank you Ed. It really hit a personal chord, so much so that I wrote my current blog around it, much of it anyway.

Here's the link to it, and I hope you notice the chuckle when he describes some of his works as "comics". I also get a real kick of how one lady coughs when the issue of "being blindfolded" comes up...enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7SSkV...

message 43: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Lawrence wrote: "Thanks Heather, and I'm glad you liked that part Dan.

For me art is very much about "that inner child" and there just has to be some kind of humor in it.

I found this other Dali video this morning..."

Yes.

message 44: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Grodecki (lawrencegrodecki) Funny Ed!

I just finished reading a blog on social media that ends with the following question, "Do you trust opinions posted online by other customers?"

What could I say, but "yes and no".

message 45: by Dan's (new)

Dan's | 31 comments Lawrence wrote: For me art is very much about "that inner child" and there just has to be some kind of humor in it.

I found this other Dali video this mornin..."
]]

Tell me Laurence which parts did U liked best?

message 46: by Dan's (new)

Dan's | 31 comments for me the whole appearence of Dali on that show, was out of the ordinary, he had such an overwhelming persona.. though I tended to think that most Americans were unaware of his art, in other mediums.. as a writer that is. and what they did know was mostly from experiences of him as a provocateur if U will, a person out of borders, ideologies ( except that of making a shit-load of bucks) and art entrapments(*)

But back to the video, I really wonder what he was telling the "mediator" of that show in 5:40--5:45 any guesses anyone? He did seem to be able to produce completely different answers from that guy, but he was entangled. Or in 6:42 when the guy behind the mice had to announce his as a rather "unusual" person. Dubious answers, Yes & No at times peaked the audiences attention. nice overall. but it could have been so much more, if only the producers of the show were not so constricted by their commercial break...

(*) I was not that shocked to hear that a co-student taking art classes on the American University here, had teachers who told them that Surrealism is a dead end street, or opinions on him on how downgrading Dali is.

message 47: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Grodecki (lawrencegrodecki) If I had to pick a favorite part, it would be the part where Dali sees himself as a leader, while the MC uncomfortably denies that.

Dan, I'm not sure what mean by "out of borders" nor do I see the relevance of ideology or the money issue for that matter. That money issue is for me always a dead-end issue...economics and art just don't seem to mix.

Awhile ago I read that Dali never finished art school. He refused to write his final exams. He claimed he knew more than his teachers. Eventually they agreed with him.

Your comments on the American University reminds me of a few things my favorite thinker said; Einstein said that the only thing that interfered with his learning was his education, and he also said that eventually a person has to think for himself or herself.

That's it from me, now I'll wait for some more funny stuff!

message 48: by Albin (new)

Albin Winters | 106 comments Lawrence wrote: "By the way Albin, your book sounds quite fascinating, I never get tired of a good mystery."

Thank you, Lawrence! I'm currently in the midst of pursuing traditional publishing. I wish you every success with "Dancing With Tulips", and would love to hear which venue works best for you.

message 49: by Dan's (new)

Dan's | 31 comments Ya've hit dead center with that part of Dali taking a hike from his art school ( he also managed to send a bag of a peucliar substance to his dad bia mail at the time!)

And somehow, I think that a few teachers that represent the establishment, have grown to detest him ever since ( I dunno how else to explain this), the same goes for a few avant garde composers. Still the enormous degree of impact is still felt on our world today. ( sorry for my lack of English, stms I can't hit the right spot with my replies)

In my interpretation the MC sees himself
as some sort of imbecile pet, at the moment he straightens his tie knots. Ouch I recall the asker intervenes and asks him if he is a leader , right after he denounces he is meddling in sports (hilarious again he did consider himself a sports-man)

Have U tried any of his books, or have U heard of the deal he made with Jodorowski, as t how he wanted to be portrayed as an emperor in Dune !>? that's another reason for what I was saying referring to his "out of borders" , meaning that he di broke ties with the surrealist movement, he walked alone sortof, and that he did demande exemplary amounts of money. He didn't sell out, but he did sell in a stupendous price
( he even cheated his customers on occasion) ie water-graphs he reprinted, after selling all the "limited series ones"

*regarding Education I wouldn't mind posting a letter on that matter seperate from this thread to ya.

message 50: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Grodecki (lawrencegrodecki) For me the whole 9 minutes is light-hearted entertainment, a temporary escape from all the serious problems. This issue of money begs the question of pricing, value, etc. If you are against anyone making large amounts of money on art, then say so. If you think it's okay for others to make large amounts of money on art, but not the artist, then say so. It really is a kind of "Pandora's Box" on the entire concept of money, and value.

As for the MC, the guys just doing his job, one that I wouldn't want, and not everyone's a genius...it might have been quite nerve-wracking having to be in his position, sitting next to Dali. Have you ever noticed how little television exposure artists have overall? I suppose it is much safer to do interviews that wind up in print, compared to live interviews in front of an audience.

Sure, send me your letter. I think you can find my email quite easily.

« previous 1 3