Readers Against Prejudice and Racism discussion

Group Discussions > World Peace

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 688 comments Mod
You noticed that in many beauty pagaents, many contestants respond that they want world peace in the world? Well, in this discussion, we want to know how we can actually attain world peace, so it would be great to hear from everyone about what they think we should do to actually attain world peace!

I think to actually achieve world peace, there should be no wars in the world since that is the main cause for prejudice and racism in the world and even though people may still disagree a bit with other cultures' customs, people can actually have better communication with each other without wars complicating things.

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 100 comments Eliminate religion!

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) I have to say, it might help, Kathy. Horrible things are done 'in the name of' deities. Even 'kind' things are not always so good, like what missionaries have done. Otoh, as we mentioned in another thread, people will make new reasons to fight as fast, it seems, as we eliminate the old ones.

I'm assuming the prejudice we're talking about in this group references not only skin color but also sexism, homophobia, religious intolerance - any sort of bigotry and disrespect for others and others' points-of-view. If not, then I don't belong here.

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 49 comments Mod
Yes Cheryl, any type of prejudice against another person.

message 5: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Yes Cheryl, this group refers to all types of prejudices besides skin color. I'm definitely against prejudice relating to sexism, religious intolerance, disrespect for other cultures' point of view, just about anything that deals with prejudice.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 100 comments I know, we're only human...dang it. OTOH, if we eliminate religion, it seems as though it would be harder to get all het' up about going to war because people are fat or wear big hats...

message 7: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I have to say, it might help, Kathy. Horrible things are done 'in the name of' deities. Even 'kind' things are not always so good, like what missionaries have done. Otoh, as we mentioned in anot..."

Also, politics plays a huge role in preventing World Peace from actually happening since in politics, it's like some countries have a mentatlity about how their politics are better than the other countries which causes other countries to disagree and fights to break out.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) The Sneetches and Other Stories - 'big hats' isn't all that far-fetched...

message 9: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

The Sneetches is for the book list or is it stating world peace in a way?

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 100 comments I dunno. When you boil down the political reasons for war it always seems to be about economics.

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Sorry - I thought everyone here would be familiar with the Sneetches. Unless I'm confused. Weren't they the characters created by Dr. Seuss who got into a big fight because some had stars on the bellies and some didn't?

We could do it as a group read, or at least put it on the bookshelf. But my point was simply that people fight over the stupidest things, according to Dr. Seuss's perception, and mine.

Kathy is right though, too. Look at, for example, the first George Bush's war. If he was fighting for the people, why did he choose those people? Why not other oppressed peoples? Because he wanted their oil, of course.

message 12: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Oh! I haven't read the Sneetches for a long time Cheryl, so I really didn't remember that! LOL!!! But, I'm going to put it in the bookshelf right now, as well as some of Dr. Seuss' other books! I also agree with you Cheryl about how George Bush should have never attacked those people just to get their oil. It just proves that some people will start wars just to get what they want and not think about the consequences it would have on the people.

message 13: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 49 comments Mod
lol, now that you reminded me Cheryl, that is an excellent book for the kid's discussion. I'm gonna get it for my son and I to read together.

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Let us know if I remember correctly, ok? Maybe start a topic for that book, or for Dr. Seuss?

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 100 comments I never read Dr.Seuss as a kid. I'd better put him on my to-reads.

message 16: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 49 comments Mod
Cheryl wrote: "Let us know if I remember correctly, ok? Maybe start a topic for that book, or for Dr. Seuss?"

We definately need a topic for suggested kid book reads and a seperate one for the adult pick.

Ronyell, do you want me to do that or are you ok doing it?

message 17: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Yes! That would be great if you could do it Tammy!!!

message 18: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 49 comments Mod
It's there...yay. When do we start voting for March?

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 100 comments Okay, another book, a series actually. Orson Scott Card's Tales of Alvin Maker. It's a fantasy series which twists early American history. Its overt interest is in the "knacks" or magical abilities individuals possess while the covert moral of the tale is tolerance of/for/towards everyone.

message 20: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

That's sounds great Kathy! I'll add it to the bookshelf!

Tammy, I think we should start voting for the March books on February 17 or should we start either later or earlier than February 17?

message 21: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 49 comments Mod
I think thats a great idea Ronyell! Lemme know what I can do to help...

message 22: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Alright! I'll let you know what needs to be done when the time comes!

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 100 comments How many books do we have on the adult and kids' reading lists??

message 24: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

We have 6 adult books and 10 children's books so far.