Jonathan Livingston Seagull Jonathan Livingston Seagull discussion

i read this four times... and twice of its sequel

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Violeta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Violeta i was teary eyed when I read it the first time; emotionally moderate the second time; bit objective in the third time and sa pagka-fourth: "that's life, sometimes tragic."

-violy

message 2: by Irene (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Irene de la Torre why tragic madam? On the contrary, it should inspire you, i guess. The choices we have in life may sametimes be tragic, but life itself is beautiful.

message 3: by Violeta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Violeta i was referring to the unconsoled part of the man's heart after the death of his beloved. life is beautiful indeed but its tragic sometimes.

message 4: by Stephy (last edited Jul 03, 2008 08:56PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Stephy Do your own work, ya lazy bum! You want the credits, EARN THEM!
If you can't spell critique, naturally you can't write one of your own.

Pola I have just finished the book yesterday and what I have to say is that I loved it!!!!

Tricia Hoisington my dad actually told me i needed to read it because it is "life changing" not a bad book but not life changing either

Marcela I see a lot of bad reviews for this little tid bit book, but it helped me get through a deep depression and I will always have this on my real bookshelf at home. Has anyone seen the film with the Neil Diamond music? My mother checked it out from the library years ago when I was in high school and all we did was cry.

message 8: by Marilyn (last edited Sep 03, 2011 02:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marilyn Belleghem This book is a classic and I often recommended to clients when they feel stuck in their lives. I really enjoyed other Richard Bach books.

This book is a good one to take a look at how other people criticize those who want to step outside the box and reach for something new. It is a great book for those who have trouble trusting the process of change.

Gregory Violeta wrote: "i was teary eyed when I read it the first time; emotionally moderate the second time; bit objective in the third time and sa pagka-fourth: "that's life, sometimes tragic."

-violy"

Gregory Nicely stated, Very thoughtfull :)

Cátia Susana Silva This is one of my favorite books ever. I think most people identify or identified themselves with this seagull. Jonathan does not want to be like all the other gulls, looking fly higher and achieve something great.

Mihail I love this book and I have read it several times too. I think there is Jonathan in every one of us but we suppress him. We need to let him out from time to time and live our life without boundaries. The ones who fly high can see further than the rest.

Alethia <3 - it's a neat, neat one. I've given away quite a few and always replace them.

message 14: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Cooper Alethia, its funny you should mention that you have given away multiple copies of this book. The only book that I have ever repeatedly given away and then replaced is Illusions, also a little book by Richard Bach. It changed my view of life, and remains to this day one of the most influential books I have ever read - and continue to re-read about once a year.

message 15: by Mary (last edited Jan 13, 2013 11:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary McCoy-Dressel I read this book, and loved it, so many years ago. I still think of Jonathan. Recommended it to my son a short time ago. It's time to read it again.

Harshit Gupta Rememeber reading it for the first time when I was just out of college. Some 4 years ago. Then read it once more at some point of time. And meanwhile, I've gifted the book to at least two people.

Manuela I just read it last year again, after I finally got hold of a copy. I remember the first time I was a teenager and was awed by its message. I think it does make one think about one's own life and the changes one can achieve if willing.

Alethia Jen wrote: "Alethia, its funny you should mention that you have given away multiple copies of this book. The only book that I have ever repeatedly given away and then replaced is Illusions, also a little book..."

Illusions! I nearly forgot about that one. Thanks so much for reminding me. I'll grab on my kindle now. :)

message 19: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary McCoy-Dressel I just purchased both books in hard copy at Amazon as a package. Can't wait to get them.

Xavier Saer A fantastic book! I read it as a teenager and it motivated me to follow my path. It is written in a way that most people can understand its message. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to discover and follow their path too.

message 21: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary McCoy-Dressel I read it years ago, too. I just purchased it so my son can read it, too, and I'll have both in my collection. It seemed to have an effect on most who read it.

message 22: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary McCoy-Dressel My copies of Jonathan Livingston Seagull and Illusions came today. I can't wait to read Jonathan again, and Illusions for the first time.

Agamonee Barbaruah the book is a major soul lifter. i felt so much inspired after reading it. i should definitely read it again.

Yashvardhan I got this book as a gift from a friend when I wasn't even in highschool. I couldn't understand much of it then. So I recently read it again, and it resonated with a lot of what I believe now. Although I am very pragmatic, the central message of the book still feels very insightful and motivating. And I agree that it is not lifechanging, but a great read.

Saxonjus I read this book & I didn't see it as a self help positive book.I actually viewed it as religious.The other seagulls coming to Jonathan's side as Angels sent to help/nurture/listen to him.To me Jonathan became a disciple a follower wishing to spread the word to others.
Im surprised nobody else has expressed this opinion.I didn't feel it added to my life neither did it take anything awayit merely left me thinking we all find our own path eventually

Jesus Michel Richard Bach has a unique spiritual approach to helping people stay inspired and positive. I have yet to read other books by him.

Setlu Vairst I must admit, I love this book and I loved the film. The effects (by today's standard are dreadful but they do not distract me from the story). I loved the filming of the seagull in flight - you felt like you were up there with him - and I loved the music and songs. Not many people realise that it is Niel Diamond. Have always liked a few of his but I think his best 'stuff' is in this movie. I would recommend this film to people who like wildlife documentaries because some of the footage is breathtaking.

Girish Shirigannavar Because the expectations were high so it didn't reach to that. But its quite a good short book.

message 29: by Duane (new) - rated it 1 star

Duane Jen wrote: ".
The only book that I have ever repeatedly given away and then replaced is Illusions, also a little book..."

Hey watch out for that stuff... I once gave a copy of "The Zen Teachings of Huang Po" to some hippie and he went catatonic and his mommy and daddy had to come scrape him out of his room in the communal hippie-house and take him off to the skull ranch and I've felt guilty about it ever since, especially because I sort of liked him and one of the other hippies told me it was BECAUSE of that book that he went cuckoo... So I don't give them away any more.

But maybe you're safe handing out Jonathan Dopington Stonedgull (which is what we used to call it since the author obviously was)... it's mostly chaff and there's not enough of substance in there to run a hippie off the rails

On second thought though, with these twentynothing "Millenials" we've got nowadays, I dunno... with them it might not *take* much

Capt. JD Morgan Great book but were those crappy seagull pictures for NUMEROUS PAGES in the middle really necessary??? =P

Phani Raj Read five times till now and still feels fresh.