Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > First new Sherlock Holmes book approved by his estate in close to a century....Sherlock Holmes talk in general

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments The estate of the Sherlock Holmes author has approved the first new "official" Sherlock Holmes book in almost a century:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/bo...

Anthony Horowitz, the author of the Alex Rider books, will write the book. Thoughts? General thoughts on Sherlock Holmes?

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I love the Sherlock Holmes stories and reread them every couple years. This new one however just sounds like schlock.

message 3: by Heidi (last edited Jan 19, 2011 06:42AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments When my dad lived in Baton Rouge, LA, on foggy overcast days, we'd go for a long bike ride around the neighborhood which was sort of on the outskirts of the city... and surrounded by large fields of live oak trees draped in Spanish moss.

It'd often be chilly outside, considering that cold weather in combination with high winds and humidity meant the bike rides would be very bracing, at minimum.

When we'd return home, everyone would slip into warm cozy sweats or flannel and curl up in the den near the fireplace. We'd settle there and Dad would read a story from his large collection of Sherlock Holmes to us. We'd do this on dark, stormy days, also.

I have fond memories of and associations with Sherlock Holmes. You know how some people have their favorite comfort foods? Sherlock Holmes is my favorite comfort read. My go-to in the collection is The Hound of the Baskervilles. Goodness gracious! That story would make my hair stand on end when Dad would read it to us... especially when it was dark and stormy while he was reading it!

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I love Sherlock Holmes books. I hope that they keep to the same style of writing, and that they are not just going to dump books on the market because they need money.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Oh, no, not Horowitz!

By the way, the updated Holmes series, Sherlock, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, is wonderful. It's not about car chases and guns, although there's a little of that, but those things are incidental. It's about deductive reasoning and amazing powers of observation.

message 6: by Jammies (new)

Jammies What Jackie said about Horrorwitz. *is appalled*

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Oh crap! How'd I miss the Horowitz bit?! Please don't touch Sherlock. Leave him alone.

message 8: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i have never read any sherlock holmes, but i really liked the holmes tv series. when i was in london i saw holmes' house from a bus. that's all.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24358 comments Mod
I've read a few of the stories and seen more of the made-for-tv episodes (with various actors). They're ok, but I'm not a devotee or anything. I did however very much enjoy The Exploits and Adventures of Brigadier Gerard.

message 10: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments well, I'll try it. hard to re-create the original though. I have the complete Sherlock and reread it every couple of years. I especially like "The Redheaded League". It always makes me laugh.

message 11: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I've read so many Sherlock books by other writers, and most of them sucked. The only exceptions were The Beekeeper's Apprentice and A Slight Trick of the Mind. I'll wait for the reviews on Amazon and GR to determine if I'll pick this one up.

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "I'm generally against any iconic character being written by anyone other than their creator."

Exactly. What he said...

::points to KD::

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Oh good, now I know what will happen the first time it happens to me :-)

message 14: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "Wha-? Someone agrees with me? My head is spinning..."

YES!

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Jim wrote: "Oh good, now I know what will happen the first time it happens to me :-)"

I agree with Jim.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Usually, I am, too, but I'm glad for the readers of the series that the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time books are being finished by someone else.

He really should have wrapped them up himself about five books ago, but that's another story.

I liked The Beekeeper's Apprentice, but didn't like where Laurie King took the series after that. Holmes is NOT the marrying kind!

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Phil wrote: "Jim wrote: "Oh good, now I know what will happen the first time it happens to me :-)"

I agree with Jim."

Oh wow, my head is spinning.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Mr. Doyle's birthday is coming up...

May 22 - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859 - 1930)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.