StoryWeaving discussion

Role Playing > The Quest for Normalcy - Discussion

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by StoryWeaver (new)

StoryWeaver | 430 comments Mod
Let us for a moment assume that all Hell has broken loose.

The past, present and future overlap
Fact, fantasy and fiction are all 'real'

Any Human character is cursed to have two other 'mental' versions of himself or herself . So if you have this 18 year old guy talking to a girl , the 9 year old 'voice in the mind' is restless wanting to go play or eat and the 39 year old 'mental voice' is constantly trying to 'rationalize' and 'offer advice'

Characters from books/movies have some typical behavioural traits or dialogues.
The terminator always says either 'Trust Me' or "I'll be back" ,
R2D2 always adds in sarcastic beeps which C3PO translates,
Yoda is wise but has his typical 'funny way' of speaking

We can probably divide the 100 comments into 4 segments:
a) The meeting (one fine day..and the whole lot find themselves together...we can meet fantasy creatures later??)
b) Establishing hierarchy and discussing strategy/plan of action(who is to lead which group)
c)The Quest
d)The 'Climax'

This is a raw and crazy idea...I invite as many suggestions from you all as possible :-)

message 2: by Akanksha (new)

Akanksha  Singh (akankshasingh92) | 122 comments I looove the idea!!! Its so wild and crazy......chaos rules!!

message 3: by Prerak (new)

Prerak | 76 comments rather than actually considering the actual appearances of these fantasy creatures, we could have the basic traits of these characters being carried in. i mean, we create humans with the characteristics of the fantastical creatures...that would make it look more realistic and the characters would be deftly etched. otherwise, considering the whole lot of creatures all at once, it would make it sound like a gloated story with no sense (no offense). for example we could create a human named Sherlock and he would be a keen observer and spy like Sherlock Holmes himself or Albus displaying the characteristics of Dumbledor. then we go on developing a story plot and seriously guys, if we all go serious about it...it is ACTUALLY going to become a MAGNUM OPUS. i can see a fresh novel in the making...

message 4: by Akanksha (new)

Akanksha  Singh (akankshasingh92) | 122 comments That's the idea. The appearance n all are just for fun.

message 5: by StoryWeaver (new)

@Prerak, Very interesting :-)
Just to discuss various possibilities...

We all know the traits of these typical characters...like Dumbledore or Yoda. Making a person who is an 'imitation' of the original may not have the 'punch' factor when instead we attempt to make a spoof..The Humans have to be carefully chosen. For example we can have a 9 year old Ninja warrior or a 16 year old master of spells. We attempt to break the rule here. Imagine Dumbledore confronted by a much more powerful teen wizard and they end up in the same team. Whatever said and done talent ultimately wins respect..
We have characters like R2D2 & C3PO for the 'humor' ...they do significant small things in between...like R2D2 gives a beep, C3PO translates "new data? must be important, play it R2D2" and when R2D2 plays it is an episode of two and a half men or Big Bang Theory :-) C3PO scolds R2 ...can you please lay off those torrents for a while!...R2D2 beeps indignantly and starts rolling away, C3PO on his trail ...
Similarly you have this 'detective' kiddo with extrasensory perception and an array of gadgets 'teaches' Sherlock Holmes new tricks :-)

message 6: by StoryWeaver (last edited Jan 19, 2011 06:45AM) (new)

A character 'hero' could train a human.
We need a character called Hari and also a Punjabi character who keeps calling Hari , Hari Puttar :-)
We need a human who is crazy about his biceps and always has a dumbbell handy ...so he has a nickname dumbbell that sometimes confuses Dumbledore. For examble Dumbbell is seated close to the door and there's a knock on the door...someone says "Dumbbell!Door!" :-)
There's this female who develops a crush on Artemis Fowl and calls him Artoo Dear ....naturally R2D2 gets confused :-)

So we need a very very good assortment of 'humans '

message 7: by StoryWeaver (new)

We've got Humans, good special characters, even a dog named Samson who just fits into the narration...anyone can describe what the dog wants unless you want the dog to be able to communicate with someone?
Got the Riddler as bad guy number one...we'll have 'riddles' to solve :-)

message 8: by Prerak (new)

Prerak | 76 comments Ohkay! so you are basically living upto your favorite quote--Keep Grinning--cuz your ideas are making me grin a lot! Go on folks!

message 9: by Akanksha (new)

Akanksha  Singh (akankshasingh92) | 122 comments When r u joining Mr.? Create ur characters Prerak nd do it nw. Try using a charrie frm the novel ur writing or someone frm ur Stephen Kings!

message 10: by StoryWeaver (new)

We'll do a special with a R rating for Violence , Gore and you know ...:-)

For now I am sure , if we try hard enough, we just might tickle those 'funny muscles' at the corners of our mouths and the ones in our tummies :-) It should have the aura of seriousness and suspense and thrill...but the humor should be there too :-)

message 11: by Prerak (new)

Prerak | 76 comments @ Axe, AAHH! well, ohkay, wait for my characters, but what i wanted to ask was...can we have a pic of some other character and it might represent some other imaginary character.
i mean, i could use the pic of Voldemort and make a new villain. can i?

message 12: by Akanksha (new)

Akanksha  Singh (akankshasingh92) | 122 comments Sure, bt confirm with Ash too. I mean, i don't see any problem with it.

message 13: by StoryWeaver (new)

The nice thing about Voldemort is the humor factor " The One Whose Name (we/you) Better Avoid Telling

TOWN BAT !!

message 14: by Akanksha (new)

Akanksha  Singh (akankshasingh92) | 122 comments Ash when are we starting?

message 15: by Prerak (new)

Prerak | 76 comments Hmm...so how many bad characters do we have now? :P

message 16: by Akanksha (new)

Akanksha  Singh (akankshasingh92) | 122 comments @Prerak The Ultimate Baddie, huh?? Waise, quite an imagination:-D

message 17: by Prerak (new)

Prerak | 76 comments Hahah! i always had an affinity for dark and bad characters.

message 18: by StoryWeaver (new)

@Prerak We need 8 baddies to be equal...10 good, 10 bad...I consider Artemis Fowl 'Good'

So with TOWN BAT ...:-) ooops Voldemort we still need 7 more baddies...see character tally above

@Axe..we start tonite :-) Go for it Axe!

message 19: by StoryWeaver (new)

CHARACTER TALLY

HUMAN FEMALE - 2 required - aged 9, 2 req aged 39 (2 out of 6 done)
Fantasy Characters BAD - (5 required, 5 out of 10 done)

Fantasy Characters Good - 10 out of 10 Done
DROIDS - DONE
DOG - DONE
HUMAN MALE - 1 required - 18 yrs (3 out of 4 done)DONE - Ed

message 20: by Akanksha (new)

Akanksha  Singh (akankshasingh92) | 122 comments Hey Ash, no inverted commas, its RP.....

message 21: by StoryWeaver (new)

Ahh okay :-) Thanks!

message 22: by StoryWeaver (new)

As we are role playing more than one character it might help to identify the person by putting the ID in...like ASH: , R2D2 : and so on instead of having to use separate comments for each character?

message 23: by Akanksha (new)

Akanksha  Singh (akankshasingh92) | 122 comments Okay.....

message 24: by StoryWeaver (new)

Seems to be rolling along quite okay, We've gotten Jane,Hari,Deepinder, Ash, Tanya, R2, T2 and C3P0 in...we'll get all the humans in and one or two special characters , then we can gather to 'discuss' the quest ..

message 25: by StoryWeaver (new)

1.The group is gathering at a spot where the 'activity' has been reported to be more intense
2.Each member of the group has a "talent" they already know about (we can add them on in the character list area)
3. They are all aware of most fictional characters but have brought their specially modified iphones along pre loaded with an extensive character database and face recognition software
4. The characters are now 'real' but may need to be told about the situation so that their help can be solicited....

message 26: by StoryWeaver (new)

HUMANS : The main character is of a specified age (but in his/her mind there are two voices of the other two 'ages')

DROIDS : R2D2 beeps and C3Po translates

Special Fictional Characters : Each has a standard 'line(s)' they'd use and WE MUST USE the line(s) as often as possible :-)

T2 : "I'll be back" , "Trust Me"

Yoda :
“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.”
“Size matters not, ... Look at me. Judge me by size, do you?”
“Happens to every guy sometimes this does”

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

i thought it would be a bit difficult to assemble the story,full of chaos.i tried a thought,if its k then i vl continue,but b frank to express urself.i tried to read the discussions but too many comments so,i am sorry,but read the story and vl try to get involved.

message 28: by StoryWeaver (new)

For an idea about the theme I'd advise watching Hollywood flicks like Epic Movie or the 80s Hot Shots . These are movies that make a spoof out of current favorites. So it is like having characters out of Harry Potter, Da Vinci Code, Pirates of the Caribbean and more all rolled into one storyline. Not really difficult. Just have to go with the flow. Each set of 10 comments/messages becomes one 'sequence' like a TV Series...continuity is never going to be an issue and making 'sense' never ever is an issue coz u don't have to struggle to make sense....the reader does that :-) We just weave the story

message 29: by Akanksha (new)

Akanksha  Singh (akankshasingh92) | 122 comments Before u start, do look this up. An example of role play.
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

k aka,then i have to role play.....sure but u cant catch me,my thoughts would be too much fictional,like the impossible movies,so get ready to face me.....

message 31: by StoryWeaver (new)

:-) that's the spirit Sagar, so choose a nice evil character...or more than one ..

HUMAN FEMALE - 2 required - aged 9, 2 req aged 39 (2 out of 6 done)
Fantasy Characters BAD - (5 required, 5 out of 10 done)

Fantasy Characters Good - 10 out of 10 Done
DROIDS - DONE
DOG - DONE
HUMAN MALE - 1 required - 18 yrs (3 out of 4 done)DONE - Ed

message 32: by StoryWeaver (new)

To help tackle the voices....Ash recommends mental discipline...thus silencing the voices when required, if desired. But, then again, it is the 'voices' that reveal 'true human nature' and are often an important source of 'insight/intuition' . The Voices can be called upon by saying 'Voices?' at the end of a normal conversation :-)

message 33: by Akanksha (last edited Jan 22, 2011 08:38AM) (new)

Akanksha  Singh (akankshasingh92) | 122 comments Guys anything written within ( ) indicates what the charrie is thinking.

message 34: by StoryWeaver (new)

WOW! You folks have done some serious posting :-) The story is slowly shaping up and we're already into 60 comments...Looks like Prerak was right! We can keep at it for quite some time :-)