Books and the Silver Screen discussion

Genesis: What is your favorite adaptation?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.C. (new)

J.C. Burnham (jcburnham) | 22 comments Mod
Discuss your favorite book as it became a movie. How well did the writer and director capture the essence of the novel? Did you agree with the choice of setting and characters?

message 2: by J.C. (new)

To kick things off... I tend to think that To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the best adaptations of all time...

message 3: by ѦѺ™ (new)

ѦѺ™ (aobibliophile) i would have to go with Francis Ford Coppola's adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula. the 1992 film had me clapping and cheering at the end.

Caroline (Words & Whispers) (wordsandwhispers) | 1 comments I'm pretty sure this one wouldn't qualify as one of the best of all time, but my favorite book to movie adaption is A Walk to Remember. Since it seems like all of the books that have recently been made into movies are all worse than the books, I think A Walk to Remember is actually better as a film than a novel.

message 5: by J.C. (new)

I just finished this book this weekend and watched the movie as well. I agree with you. There were some amazing additions to make their romance more interesting and believable.

Here is the review I posted about the book:

A tale of pure love embracing both the wonders and sadness of life- Sparks' tale is simply complex, leaving the reader feeling the vast emptiness of heart ache and the sweet tones of love's melody. This tale is a measure by which romantics will compare other love stories and likely find them wanting. Sparks ability to share aspects of the heart is second to none.

message 6: by J.C. (last edited Jan 19, 2011 02:16PM) (new)

I also want to mention THE JOY LUCK CLUB. The book and the movie both open a window to the mind and soul of Chinese immigrants and the necessity and struggles of their American born children to balance both the old and new cultures. The book provides additional stories not in the script, but for an adaptation, the movie was very well done. This is one of those read the book first and then enjoy the movie. You will not be disappointed.

Katelyn (Tales of Books and Bands) (katelyntorrey) One of the worst adaptations I have seen was It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini. The book is really good. The movie was really good but together it just didn't work well as a movie adaptation. As far as the best on I have ever seen, that is a tough one. I'll have to get back to you on that.

message 8: by Maggi (new)

Maggi When Twilight came 2 the big screen, I thought the director did a pretty good job following the plot but Kristen Stewart was my evision of Bella. And the relationship between Edward and Bella seemed different. Less conpassionate.

message 9: by ѦѺ™ (new)

ѦѺ™ (aobibliophile) how could i have forgotten to mention The Lord of the Rings Trilogy! the film adaptations were amazing!

message 10: by Jenni (new)

Jenni (jennib01) Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk), Children of Men (P.D. James) and Big Fish (Daniel Wallace) are three of my very favorite movies that came from books.