Stephen King Fans discussion

Movies & TV shows > What King books SHOULD be movies?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 158 (158 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2585 comments Mod
Of course the Dark Tower series... though I think it would be great if it was on like an HBO series.

message 2: by Moon (new)

Moon Wasn't there talks of the Dark Tower series being adapted into a series of films? Or was it all just a rumor?

message 3: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 83 comments I think Cell would make a great movie.

message 4: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Probably just a rumor about Dark Tower.. I have never heard anything about that yet!

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve | 247 comments I couldn't see DT as a series of films...the main issue is the time factor in producing theatrical films could be hindered by the age of the actors involved, particularly for an actor playing Jake (the puberty factor, which ABC's "Lost" solved with the young character of Walt by fast-fowarding his storylines into the future). An animated series might also be doable.

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments I personally think that a attemptat the D.T would ruin it i would hate it and i dont think it would come across to people the right way unless they read it,and those that did would be crushed because we all know what Roland,Jake,Eddie and Susannah look like in our mind and we would hate anyone that played the roles! on this note im going to start a thread lets see what we get!

message 7: by Robert (last edited Aug 08, 2008 12:34PM) (new)

Robert (restlessstranger) | 37 comments Two films have been on the cards for me to watch and yesterday i watched them back to back

Needful things;
i gave that book 3/5, i 'liked it' but its not the best book hes done. I watched the film yesterday and what a mess... Its not long enough, no characterisation at all, changed the main element of the story that being alan meeting gaunt right near the start of the film BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD!!!!!

Secret window;

Now anybody that read this story will know rainey's version of the story was called 'sowing season' and the other guy's version was ' secret window secret garden ' right???
So why make a great adaptation and change a small detail such as that?(they turned it around) right then i thought i would be dissapointed. Depp is great actor and possibly the sole reason why the film was great, the ending i didnt see coming since its completely different from the book version

So id like to see film versions of

as agreed with rob id like to see running man made like the book version. Same goes for firestarter as they slaughterd rainbird in the film

The long walk, The talisman(could it be done??), Eyes of the dragon

message 8: by Kasie (new)

Kasie | 24 comments i agree with hayley cell would be pretty good to see be made in the movie.

message 9: by Dan (new)

Dan | 34 comments The Talisman is actually being made right now as a TV mini-series.

BOO!

message 10: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (phantomphire93) Cell, Duma Key, and they should remake The Stand. The old one was good, but not great. it did stick to the book almost exactly. so, i dunno.I think they should do The Long Walk, as well.

message 11: by Tim (new)

Tim (sparklin) | 5 comments Just happen to come across this link - looks like quite a few King books have been made into movies, though seven versions of Children Of The Corn is a bit much

http://www.horrorking.com/movies1.html

message 12: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) A lot of SK's books were made into movies but I'd like to see them remade now that we have better technology in the movie world and better special affects. So many of SK's books would make great movies. I think if he did the DT series in a couple of different disks like he did with The Stand (though I think that they could make the movie better now) and Storm of the Century, that it could work or even do a series of movies like the Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, or Twilight Series. There are so many fans for DT series that I think it would do great.

The Long Walk would be a great one Nathan and many others but like I said, SK has tonz of movies-based-on-books already so doing DT would just be one more to add and I'd love to see it if he did :)

message 13: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) He also did Misery, Thinner, The Green Mile, Rose Red, Pet Semetary, as movies too.

message 14: by Mark (new)

Mark | 35 comments 'IT' desperately needs to be remade. I watched the whole thing again recently and I just can't get past the casting. John-Boy Walton with a pony-tail? John Ritter? Tim Curry as Pennywise saves the whole thing somewhat. But it was obviously done on a tight budget by a director who paid little attention to detail. In one scene near the beginning, John-Boy's makeup is melting off his face in his sweat. Ahh, what the hell, no one will notice.

I would love to see this remade for the big screen or as an HBO mini-series with the cast and budget it deserves.

I might take a stab at 'fantasy-casting' for IT. But there are sooo many characters that need both adult and child actors, it might be tough.

message 15: by J.C. (new)

J.C. Torre (jdelator) | 5 comments Hayley wrote: "I think Cell would make a great movie."

Definitely Cell...I loved that book and with zombie movies making a comeback (thank you Shaun of the Dead), I think it's a good time for it.

message 16: by Martin (new)

Martin Maher (martin87) | 72 comments With regards to the `Dark Tower`series, I think if they did something similiar as they did for his short story "N" from `Just after sunset`would be a really good idea. It uses illustrations in conjunction with someone narrating the story. I think that would be the way to go personally .

message 17: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4104 comments I agree that a re-do of the Running Man that was true to the novella could be really good.

I think the King books that's translate best to screen are those with very little of the supernatural in them. It's easy to imagine the "magic" as we are reading because King is such a genius with description. It's much, much harder to actually show it.

I think that's why the best adaptations of his books are Misery, Stand By Me (The Body), The Green Mile (a small amount of the supernatural) and The Shawshank Redemtion (Rita Hayworth and...). They were realistic for the most part and much more "That could really happen" than a lot of his stories.

message 18: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4104 comments No, Rob, you are absolutely right. Like Tony being his finger. How would he have "shown" us what we understood of Tony in the book? I think Kubrick made excellent choices, and I view his version of The Shining as a completely different entity than King's. They are both very, very good, just different and fitted to their mediums.

message 19: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Boo (betsyboo) | 195 comments I recently re-read ROSE MADDER (honestly, it gets better everytime I read it) and I would dearly love to see this as a movie provided they do it right...and let me cast it! I'd like to see LISEY'S STORY done as well, but I really think that one would be easy to screw up.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments Betsy wrote: "I recently re-read ROSE MADDER (honestly, it gets better everytime I read it) and I would dearly love to see this as a movie provided they do it right...and let me cast it! I'd like to see LISEY'S..."

I don't know Lisey's Story reminds me of Richard Matheson's What Dreams May Come which was made into an ok movie image wise.

message 21: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Boo (betsyboo) | 195 comments You know, I never thought of that! They probably could a good job of it visually. I would just hope that they remained faithful to the essence of the story.

message 22: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) You know I'm not convinced that any King book can be successfully made into a really good movie simply because his writing sets things up in such a way that can't be portrayed easily on screen. And its how the words get in the reader's mind which make his books truly terrifying.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Dark Tower, Insomnia, Duma Key...

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments I think Duma Key would work because it's got a lot of psychological elements to it. Plus ghosts can be done with make up and not cheesy FX.

message 25: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie Personally I would love to see anything King wrote be made into a GOOD movie. The problem is so many of his stories have been turned to crap on the silver screen.

I understand more of it now that I heard King’s point on the Shining mini-series commentary. It’s easier to make a short story into a movie because the lengths match up better. In order to make a novel into a movie you need more time. More time means a television mini-series which then means you are required to fit television standards. That is why I think so many of his ‘movies’ haven’t been all that great… they weren’t movies, they were mini-series (The Stand, It, Storm of the Century, Rose Red, etc.) And why some of the best movies are from short stories (Shawshank, 1408, The Mist, Stand by Me, etc.).

Maybe they could make the Dark Tower series into a series of feature movies (as suggested earlier) and use the CGI characterization like they used in 300 or Beowulf. That would give them plenty of footage to archive and use to slow the aging process. Not sure… I didn’t really care for 300 or Beowulf.

message 26: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Boo (betsyboo) | 195 comments I agree with you for the most part Lonnie. I usually prefer novels to be done as mini-series. On the other hand, I was pleased with how they did THE GREEN MILE and THE DEAD ZONE. Both of those movies proved that adaptations could be done well.

message 27: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie I completely agree Betsy (which is why those two movies weren't included in my above list). :)

message 28: by Stefu (new)

Stefu Smith Here is information on the Dark Tower movie project:

http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/200...

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments Umm...kinda my thoughts. A Dark Tower series of movies would be a hard sell to non-King fans. Hell, I think The Gunslinger might a hard sell. That being said, the JJ Abrams-lovin', Dark Tower adorin' geek in me really really wants to see this project done! Oh, and what's this about King "allegedly being a Lost fan? Read a lot of his EW columns around 2005 or 2004 i think and there's npthing alleged about it :)

message 30: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Ludeker (joshlud) | 12 comments Rachel,
Here's the thing about Roland Deschain. He's a lovable character. I think if they went the route of, lets say, Daredevil or Spiderman, they might get away with it.
I wonder how many became fans of Dark Tower after only reading the comic series..?
But, I alomst don't want to see it to film. The series brought such an emotional journey for me, there is no way to depict such a depth.

message 31: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie Hayley wrote: "I think Cell would make a great movie."

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEOyfQTQ...

Stephen King's popular horror novel Cell was originally supposed to be adapted for the big screen by director Eli Roth. Now that Roth has dropped out of the project, it seems that Cell will become a television miniseries instead of a feature film.

According to Fangorai, director John Harrison, who adapted Clive Barker's Book of Blood, is currently writing a four hour telefilm based on the contents of the novel. The story finds America being transformed into a population of mindless, rampaging killers after a signal is sent through a series of cell phone networks. The project is currently being shopped to various channels.

At this time, Harrison is not set to direct Cell, but has stated that he would love to jump aboard the project if the opportunity arose.

message 32: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4104 comments I think the problem with a mini-series will be the ending. Or non-ending. However you want to look at it. I think they would have to change it. I haven't seen The Mist, but I would guess something similiar to that situation, from what I've read.

message 33: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Boo (betsyboo) | 195 comments In the novella "The Mist" you are left hanging but not in the movie. Which makes me wonder if they would change THE CELL's ending? And this part gives me pause: "a four hour telefilm based on the contents of the novel."

message 34: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) I would hope that if thay did do the Cell thay would end it the way the book does.But i would love to see a remake of IT.The old one tried but it just sucked!And the D.T. movie IMO is wishfull thinking, even if thay started i don't see them going the distance 7 done right.Better to leave it alone.I've read them all at lest twice some more,but if thay do i'll spend the money to see how it works out .

message 35: by Lee (new)

Lee | 15 comments I couldn't see The Dark Tower series being made into a film. With the possible exception of Wizard and Glass. It would be out of the book order, but it's got a love story, it's got more straight forward villains, and even better, the actor that plays the young Roland won't ever have to be used again (at least I don't *think* young Roland really pops up in the other books much) so there's no worry about him aging throughout the series.

I think Rose Madder could go either way honestly. There's supernatural (divine?) elements in it but it's not really horror. Since it's very much focused only on the main character and her nutso husband, the choice of actor and actress for them could very well be the deciding factor.

I would like to see Needful Things remade. :/ Some of it wasn't that bad, but some of it was pretty cheesy. A lot of things were left out, and stupid crap was added in (a sex scene between Polly & Leland? where the fuck was that in the book?)

Eyes of the Dragon would make a cool movie or tv series, or even a comic <3

message 36: by Juli (new)

Juli Cady Ryan (artnut) Definately the Dark Tower series! It would be complicated to do, but with the right people doing it (including actors) I think it could be spectacular!

message 37: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4104 comments Rob wrote: "I'd like to see a movie version of Salem's Lot...NOT a tv movie."

Oh yes!!!!! I love that King's vamps weren't sexy or beautiful. I would want that to stay the same. Don't get me wrong, I love the newer style vamps as well, but a re-make of Salem's Lot would be more along the lines of 30 Days of Night vamps.

I could lose a lot of sleep:-)

message 38: by Jak (new)

Jak (blindjak) | 32 comments Eyes of the Dragon should be an easy film to make. Not too supernatural so even non King fans could get into it as well. But I’d really like to see the Talisman made properly.

message 39: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4104 comments Jak, I think "properly" is the problem. The supernatural things King writes are perfectly imaginable to me, but somehow always come across cheezy on film. It's not HIS fault, I just don't think they're able to do it yet.

What if George Lucas made The Talisman? WOW!

message 40: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4104 comments Rob wrote: "The he'd just digitally insert another Jar-Jar Binks. ;)"

Shaddap!!!

message 41: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) Rob wrote: "The he'd just digitally insert another Jar-Jar Binks. ;)"

Would it die a horrible death? Because I'd pay to see that ;p

message 42: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) I'd like to see them remake IT. I'm not a fan of remakes at all, but in this case i won't mind. The first IT was bad.

message 43: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

I think it would be good to see IT remade. Isn't the first one a TV movie?

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments yeah it is Angie. I'd love to see IT remade with better graphics and more of the story.

message 45: by Lee (new)

Lee | 15 comments I love that King's vamps weren't sexy or beautiful.

Well, there was one that was described as pretty sexy (not gonna name cause it could be a spoiler for some people)

I don't think the original IT was that bad, so I think if it was re-made it could be really, really good.

message 46: by Fatma (new)

Fatma I'd like to see a 2 hour movie of Cell not a 4 hour telefilm. I don't think it is necessary to put every detail of the novel in it.
The talisman will make a good movie too.

message 47: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) They could pick any book as long as they don't F it up. I'd like to see IT redone properly, that old movie sucks big time.

message 48: by Dewayne (new)

Dewayne | 12 comments Just wanted to let everyone know who has DirecTV, the entire miniseries (8 hours) of The Stand will be on tomorrow on the Chiller network (channel 257) from 9AM-5PM EST.

message 49: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

It is really hard to find The Stand in video stores so when it is on TV that's the best time to see it.

message 50: by Diane (new)

Diane (LadyDi4476) | 72 comments GERALD'S GAME!

« previous 1 3 4