Writing Passionates discussion

Advice > New Ideas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I need help from EVERYONE in this group. How do you get a new idea so fast, and make it work so easily? It takes me so long just to think of a new idea!!

message 2: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) First do stuff in your house. Like, I start making stories about little things I do. I just made a cup of tea. What if I dropped it and glass flew everywhere and cut me very badly so I bled almost to death, and went into a coma. And then it could be a strange world I enter while I'm in the coma? Or maybe be told from the people outside of me? Or, what would happen if I survived? Look at headlines in a newspaper. If that doesn't work, look at some quotes and such.
-Riley

message 3: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
don't worry, cali. we all struggle to come up w/ideas, trust me. XD i don't feel like i ever "get" ideas... i feel like the ideas come to me on their own. it's like my head is this little office, and sometimes a character will suddenly come skipping in and start pitching this idea to me; plus they have like a trailer that comes w/their idea that goes flashing through my head. yeah i know i'm insane, but that's what it feels like to me. lol. i'll just be sitting there, and i'll suddenly see this character in my head, in some random place or situation, and i start wondering how he/she got there, and what he/she is going to do next. idk if that makes any sense.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) I get most of the components from ideas from movies and such, as said above. I've noticed though that the soul source of info comes from games my friends and I have played in the past and/or present. One of my stories is like that now. It's based on a game my friend and I are playing on Woogi World. Of course I tweak it a bit so that it's more exciting and such...but hey! XD

message 5: by Brigid ✩ (new)

well some of my stories are also "recycled" ideas, from stuff i wrote in like fifth grade. like Soul Stealer, for example... it was partly inspired by this thing i wrote in seventh grade i think. i only wrote one page, and it was just this girl in a park, looking around and thinking about how everything else in the world would grow old, and she wouldn't... but when i wrote it, i didn't know WHY. it took me a good two years or so to figure out that she was Eva... a Soul Stealer!!! XD that sort of thing happens to me sometimes...

message 6: by Tate (new)

Tate | 106 comments I recycle ideas often, too. Because sometimes I have nada ideas and just redo old ones, especially when I rather like them, but my writing is rather lame... yeah!

Often, i get inspired by like anything. Such as the sky. (Yay, current story!) or some random cup sitting in the window. Or a picture, or a book, or a stuffed animal, or a doll, or my younger sister, or... ok, you probably get the point. \
I get the most inspired when I read good stuff though. It just... just makes me want to write well, for some reason. And so I start to write, yay!

if I read good fantasy (I rather like fantasy) then it makes me want to write all the more, somehow inspiring me... it isn't that I take the ideas, it's just that it makes me want to write, yay!

Umm... yeah!

message 7: by Brigid ✩ (new)

yeah i know what u mean. when i read a good book, it makes me want to write a good book too! XD

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashocalypse) Personally my ideas for stories come from me thinking of characters. Like, I have one character who is really well-rounded and whose traits I have all planned out (in my head, normally) and then I think of "Well what if she was a princess who had to run away from her evil stepbrother" or "What if she was a sorceress who was being hunted by other beings". And then my story gets planned out from there.

Although, the problem with this is that I'll get another idea for a situation to put my character in - while I'm writing the current story, so I'll just forget all about the current story and start on the new one. Which is why I have about 15 beginnings on my hard drive, but never a middle or an end.

And, same with you guys, reading books just gives me more ideas. So maybe I should stop reading and shut myself in a box and I'll finally finish a story? LoL

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (ophelia17) | 67 comments what if........... this person did this but this thing wouldnt let them or it would explode and then this person pretends to like this person and the second person falls in love but then the world explodes? that kinda thing.
just think of what if questions and usually a good story idea will come
and i get ideas at random times (like when i'm swimming. grrrr...) so it help to write every idea down

message 11: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) Ideas enter my head at random. usually, I'll see a scene in my head. Sometimes it takes week for me to figure out where the scene goes, and sometimes in a moment, I have a whole story waiting to be written down in my head! I get ideas from my life and what happens. I get it from what I see happening. The world is the world. And I am a writer. Which pretty much means that I write what I see and feel. All my ideas are sparked off of the weather or a scene outside. (the first novel I ever finished I wrote during a bad case of writer's block. I remember looking out our window on a sunday afternoon and writing a description of the sky in my head. Then i imagined a girl huddled in the corner while her father scolded her. I wrote that first scene and it went on from there. I wrote that whole thing in a week!) But yeah... i think ideas come in various ways. I have no way to jsut sit down and say "okay! come at me! I'm ready!" That's never worked..... That's why I love doing dishes. I get all kinds of cool ideas!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, that is awesome, thanks it helps. But I keep having these problems where I try to come up with a new idea, but it's too much like the story I'm already writing, so I have to think of something entirely opposite of my story.
So, with all of your posts, I think it will help me a lot!

message 13: by Tate (new)

Tate | 106 comments Yay, glad to help!

message 14: by Brigid ✩ (new)

ditto. ;D
yes i agree w/laina. i was just trying to explain this to my dad yesterday, but it's almost like just being a writer is inspiration enough. i don't know about u guyz, but life is one big story to me. whatever i see around me, i just want to write it all down. there's constantly this stream of words in my head. everything i see and everything i read inspires me. and once in a while, i'll be looking at something random, and it'll trigger this image in my mind of a character somewhere. and i'll start wondering who the character is and how he/she got to that point. and there's my story right there. ;D

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Sometimes the ideas are experiences from my life, just placed in a whole different place, and with a whole different person.
I actually have a new idea coming on, about like 3 of them at the same time, and I'm hoping they'll work out.

message 16: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments It's not really my 'idea' when an idea comes to me. I can't really explain it...but I'll try. Think of it like this, there's this room full of people, four of them girls, five of them guys, a few cats, a fish or two, you get the picture, it's like a sitting room, waiting for the bigger picture to show up. One of the people in the room get chosen, they go into the room where another person just came out of for their 'turn'. The ones going in are starting, the ones going out are finished, the ones inside are being worked on. A story is like that to me, it chooses the time to show up, if you wait long enough a story will show up.
Like the other day when I was at Michigan's Adventure, my grandma was sitting eating, like the rest of us. And she says she's cold, and shivers. So I say, "involutarily shiver." and badabing badaboom, what do you know, the first few paragraphs of my new story pop up into my mind.
Don't try find an idea, let it come to you.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I just need to see things differently than the world.

message 18: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Sella Malin | 4530 comments Mod
I can't really search for or find ideas when I want to. They just sort of spring upon me when I'm least expecting it. I'll just be lying in my bed at night, starting to drift off to sleep, or eating breakfast absentmindedly, when BAM! an idea hits my mind, and I rush to the computer. They jump on you when you least expect it.

I find that my mind is also more idea-prone whenever I'm in nature. I'll be looking at the beautiful scene, all the senses washing over me, and something there inspires me...I got a lot of my story ideas that way.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

me too, that's why I want to travel the world. See all the historical monuments etc.

message 20: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) i think that when you're closer to nature, you're closer to yourself. that's why ideas come to you more... did that sound really cheesey? Ah well, I guess I am cheesey. yum. But back to what I was going to say.... nevermind! i can't remember. : )

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

that's alright.I'm going camping next weekend, maybe something will come to me.

message 22: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) hehe... my friend and i once were being dumb when we were camping and we carved our names with our crushes names in trees with hearts around them. the thing was, I had no crush, so I made up this kid who i met through my pen-pal in austria. he was a skiier and very cute. : ) My friend and I still refer to him as our own little joke.

message 23: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

i know who my crush is. *cough* archie *cough*

message 24: by Brigid ✩ (new)

ARCHIE!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, let's please not turn this conversation archie!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

ARCHIE IS MY CRUSH!!!!!!!!!
ok no more archie!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

i get ideas alot by listening to music, or just going and sitting outside and listening and watching and stuff.

s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§» I get ideas from others writing, or my own previous ones.

message 29: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Same here; music and my old writing help, too. XD

Wow, Rachel, every time I check the group you've changed your picture!! Lol. XD I liked the one you had before, with Archie lying in a pink shirt on the grass. XD

message 30: by Brigid ✩ (new)

that one was adorable. ;D so is the new one though... so is any pic w/archie in it... XD

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

All day yesterday, I listened to youtube vids. with some like really awesome songs, and read through my story. Some of the songs I was listening too totally fit the story at the time. It was awesome!!

message 32: by Brigid ✩ (new)

oh that happens to me sometimes too! it's so awesome... i have, like, a theme song for all my stories. lol.

message 33: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) sometimes when i'm frustrated and/or just really bored, i'll lay on my bed, pull the blinds down and listen to music to try and spark some ideas. (if i don't fall asleep) this usually works. especially william joseph : ) *sighs* good memories, good memories.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Me too, I like to turn on the radio and flip through stations of songs, and just sit at my desk staring at a blank sheet of lined paper.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Especially when there's nothing else to do . . . Music is my inspiration honestly.

message 36: by Brigid ✩ (new)

i don't usually get so inspired by music... it's just that sometimes a certain song kinda matches my story...

message 37: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Same here! I've found a lot of songs that seem to have been written exactly for one of my stories!! It's so cool when that happens. (Another Day in Paradise; David Archuleta, Mother Nature's Son; The Beatles, Apologize; Timbaland. I could go on...)

message 38: by Brigid ✩ (new)

my theme song for Soul Stealer is Bring Me To Life by Evanescence!!! it totally works w/the story; i practically started hyperventilating when i figured that out... lol. XD

message 39: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (last edited Aug 11, 2008 03:28PM) (new)

wow!! lol!! i haven't heard that song but even just the title sounds so fitting!! XD Yeah I have a song like that...Mother Nature's Son by The Beatles was practically written for my story Outcast...you know what's funny? That's how I came up with the idea for the story, by listening to the song!

And then, Another Day in Paradise goes really well with the setting of Star Soul. And Apologize is for later, the "love" part of outcast. xD

message 40: by Brigid ✩ (new)

OMG!!!! OMG!!! YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD BRING ME TO LIFE?! IT'S ONE OF THE BEST SONGS OF ALL TIME, EVER, I SWEAR!! ookay well u should definitely go look it up on youtube or something. but anyway, i'll post the lyrics so you get what i mean...

how can you see into my eyes like open doors
leading you down into my core
where I’ve become so numb without a soul my spirit sleeping somewhere cold
until you find it there and lead it back home

(Wake me up)
Wake me up inside
(I can’t wake up)
Wake me up inside
(Save me)
call my name and save me from the dark
(Wake me up)
bid my blood to run
(I can’t wake up)
before I come undone
(Save me)
save me from the nothing I’ve become

now that I know what I’m without
you can't just leave me
breathe into me and make me real
bring me to life

(Wake me up)
Wake me up inside
(I can’t wake up)
Wake me up inside
(Save me)
(Wake me up)
bid my blood to run
(I can’t wake up)
before I come undone
(Save me)

Bring me to life
(I've been living a lie, there's nothing inside)
Bring me to life

frozen inside without your touch without your love darling only you are the life among the dead

all this time I can't believe I couldn't see
kept in the dark but you were there in front of me
I’ve been sleeping a thousand years it seems
got to open my eyes to everything
without a thought without a voice without a soul
don't let me die here
there must be something more
bring me to life

(Wake me up)
Wake me up inside
(I can’t wake up)
Wake me up inside
(Save me)
(Wake me up)
bid my blood to run
(I can’t wake up)
before I come undone
(Save me)

(Bring me to life)
I’ve been living a lie, there’s nothing inside
(Bring me to life)

ISN'T THAT, LIKE, TOTALLY PERFECT!!! omg, it's like the song was WRITTEN to be the theme song of my book. lol. XD or maybe i just listened to it so many times that it subconsciously inspired me. idk. hahaha

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

For my story Fyre, I've kind of figured that part of the story revolves around Everybody's Fool by Evanescence.

message 42: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (last edited Aug 11, 2008 04:46PM) (new)

wow that's amazing, brigid! you're right! XD

here are the lyrics for mother nature's son for the beatles:

Born a poor young country boy--mother nature's son
All day long i'm sitting singing songs for everyone.
(mother nature's son)

Sit beside a mountain stream--see her waters rise
Listen to the pretty sound of music as she flies.
(mother nature's son)

Find me in my field of grass--mother nature's son
Swaying daises sing a lazy song beneath the sun.
(mother nature's son.)

Except it'd have to be changed from son to daughter.

That's how I got the idea for outcast XD

message 43: by Brigid ✩ (new)

wow awesome!! XD i luv when a song just clicks w/ur story like that... ;D

message 44: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

yeah i know it's cool! XD

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

YEAH!

message 46: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) hehe i won't post the lyrics, but my song was based on one my Nickel Creek. (love em!) I don't if I even remember the title... it's a sad, pitiful song, though, but the story added on and explained and added magic and twists and turns and greater forces *grins sheepishly* I tend to have too much fun with my writing. : )

message 47: by Brigid ✩ (new)

oh i've heard of nickel creek before... i can't remember which songs of theirs i've heard, but i remember liking them. XD

message 48: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) i love them! first cd is the best, second one I like, too, but third i don't like much on it because one of the members like took over the band and didn't let anyone else to anything, so that was annoying. i like how they sing old peoms to music! robert burns must definitely be an inspiration to them.

message 49: by Brigid ✩ (new)

that's cool. XD i luv poetry!!! i don't really like writing it, though... just reading it. ;D

message 50: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) ooo i love writing poetry but i have to have time to think and rework everything over and over again so i don't write it as much as i'd like. my best poems though i wrote in like thirty seconds because it was pure inspiration *sighs* colorado...

« previous 1 3