Tudor History Lovers discussion

Tudors TV novel for Season 4?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary K | 1 comments Does anyone know if this has been written or if it's in the works?

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (g8rbucsgirl) | 22 comments I don't think it's out there yet. Elizabeth Massie wrote the last two. She's on goodreads. Maybe you can send her a message and ask her if she's working on the last one?

message 3: by CF (new)

CF (mrsclairef) | 149 comments ^ I bet it's TERRIBLE. I'd stick to regular historical fiction. >.>

message 4: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments I'm on the fence for these ones too... has anyone read them? Are they good?

message 5: by Charli (new)

Charli (Chazbee938) I've gotta say, i'm not a fan of The Tudors TV series..... at all. I'm all for artistic licence and all, but some of the historical inaccuracies are so bad it's almost offensive!

message 6: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (g8rbucsgirl) | 22 comments Jennifer, I started to read the first one but didn't finish it. Not because it was bad, I just had other books I wanted to get into. It follows the show pretty closely. And it does give some details that a newbie Tudor fan can appreciate.

I didn't know anything about The Tudor Dynasty before watching the show. But I understand where Charli is coming from. The show got me interested in learning more about those people and that time period. So now when I watch the show again, the inaccuracies stand out. Right now I'm watching "The Private Life of Henry VIII" from 1933 on TCM. There was a title card in the beginning of the film that basically said they were skipping over Catherine of Aragon because she was of "no importance". I had a world class tantrum over that one!

message 7: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Wow! Are you serious??? Of no importance....
I am at a loss for words...

message 8: by Colleen, Mod #3 (last edited Feb 03, 2011 03:52PM) (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments That's completely awful of them Tammy!!! The daughter of Isabella and Ferdinand "of no importance"??? Wow...

message 9: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (g8rbucsgirl) | 22 comments The movie was really odd. The funny part was when Henry is playing cards with Anne of Cleaves and he's lost all his pocket money to her. He asks if he can play on credit and she says "No, cash only."

message 10: by Kelly A. (last edited Feb 02, 2011 02:59PM) (new)

Kelly A. | 66 comments I saw bits of it too...I started watching right at Anne Boleyn's execution, but I thought Jane Seymour was passed over a lot too. The last time she is on screen is on AB's execution day...you never actually see her again. Weird.

message 11: by Denise (new)

Denise | 2 comments I've read the first two books and enjoyed them. I could totally see the actors (from the show the Tudors) playing the scenes out. I would consider them a light read. I loved watching the Tudors, despite the inaccuracies, so maybe my view is biased but I'm sure there are others out there who loved the Tudors and want to read more.

message 12: by CF (new)

CF (mrsclairef) | 149 comments ^ The funny thing is, that I have not found a historical fiction that I have liked better than an actual factual history book. People should be reading Weir, Starkey, Fraser, if they are looking for incredible Tudor information.

Haha xD

message 13: by annie (new)

annie (tellsnoemotion) | 147 comments I think the TV show is slightly excusable because even if it's inaccurate, at least you got some really hot eye candy.

The book would just be completely false though and I wouldn't be able to stomach through that!

message 14: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments LOL Claire!

message 15: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments Claire, I agree with you to a point. I've read some good Tudor HF but it has been few and far between. And now that I'm thinking about it, nothing comes to mind hahaha!!! I do like the eye candy of the show though, but the inaccuracies... Like Henry only having one sister named Margaret who is married to the king of Portugal?! Where did that come from?

message 16: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (g8rbucsgirl) | 22 comments Michael Hirst said he combined Margaret and Mary into one character because he thought the audience would be confused by having two Mary Tudor's. I thought that was a ridiculous excuse. And then I started to read a Jean Plaidy novel that was set towards the end of the War of the Roses. I had a really hard time keeping all the Richards, Edwards, Georges, Henrys, Annes and Elizabeths straight. His excuse to combine the characters didn't seem so ridiculous anymore.

message 17: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (g8rbucsgirl) | 22 comments There is one time during the show where JRM's hotness got in the way of the story. I did not understand why Catherine Howard would fool around with Thomas Culpepper when she had Henry. It wasn't until I read The Boleyn Inheritance that I finally got it. In that book, Henry is smelly and fat and disgusting. Totally opposite the handsome JRM's Henry.

Even though I didn't really know much about the real life Tudors, I knew for sure that Catherine Howard didn't practice using the block in her birthday suit. It would've been freezing cold!

message 18: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments Yeah PG likes to make her Henry extremely one dimensional. It really annoys me. But we also know he wasn't the beautiful JRM type at that point in his life. Now don't get me wrong I think JRM is beautiful, but I wish that they had gotten someone taller. Or even made him taller, because that was one of his distinguishing characteristics.
I understand getting names confused but the actresses (Henrys sister and his daughter) looked totally different. And why did she have to go to Portugal instead of France?

message 19: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (g8rbucsgirl) | 22 comments It would've been easier to keep the two Mary's straight because you can see who is who. No idea why she went to Portugal instead of France. That old king creeped me out!

message 20: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments Lol he was rather creepy!!!!!! It made me feel really sorry for her!

message 21: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (g8rbucsgirl) | 22 comments Mary, I tried googling again for this book and still couldn't find it. So I've written to Showtime to ask them if there will be a novelization of the 4th season. If I get a reply, I'll let you know. :)

message 22: by Carolyne (new)

Carolyne (ceekay1) | 2 comments As to the "Private Lives of Henry VIII" comments with Charles Laughton...his real life wife played Anne of Cleves which is why she, and thus Anne of Cleves, had such a big role in the film.

I'm sure most of us have seen the BBC's "Six Wives of Henry VIII" if not, check it out! Superb!

The Tudors TV show was hard to watch but it got more historically accurate, which is saying a lot, towards the last two seasons. I really appreciates though, the handling of Anne Boleyn's execution. I think they actually used her scaffold speech which is really great and moving. Natalie Dormer was wonderful in those last scenes.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, I actually saw, or rather attempted to see, "Private Lives of Henry VIII" not to long ago, and after seeing the note that Catherine was of no particular interest, I turned it off.

I do really hope that there will be a book for Season 4, as I own the first two and they are so in tune with the series that I feel like I'm actually there in the TV screen, watching them from the background. Yes, the show is inaccurate, but it's so darn addicting!