Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Picture Books About Kids Writing

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 2 comments I am working on a project to put a list together of picture books of kids writing as part of the story. If you know any please respond. These are the ones I have:
The Adventures of Captain Underpants
Madeline
Curious George
Baloney
Thank You Mr. Falker

message 2: by ☼Bookish (new)

☼Bookish in Virginia☼  (ren_t) Too congested to think of suggestion, Samantha, but wanted to provide support and a thumb's up :)

message 3: by Lana (new)

Lana Krumwiede | 19 comments I just read one: The Plot Chickens. It is hilarious! I read it to my writing group and we all loved it. While I can imagine many wonderful applications in the classroom, it's also just a fun read.

message 4: by Terry (new)

Terry (readingtub) I'd suggest A Book by Mordicai Gerstein; Wordsworth the Poet, and Dear Polar Bear. The last two feature animals as protagonists, but the plot is about writing.

If you're thinking of books that talk about writing in a technical sense, I'd recommend STACEY COOLIDGE'S FANCY SMANCY CURSIVE HANDWRITING (The Adventures of Everyday Geniuses) by Barbara Esham about a little girl who doesn't write her cursive letters well and gets frustrated about it.

message 5: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments I don't know what you mean by writing...writing the alphabet? writing letters to someone? creative writing?

Officer Buckle & Gloria has kids writing letters to a police officer.

Crow Boy shows Japanese writing done by a boy.

message 6: by Lisa (last edited Jan 29, 2011 09:41PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments One of my favorites from when I was young, a novel, is A Room Made of Windows by Eleanor Cameron.

ETA: Sorry, not a picture book but it may be of interest to some of you.

message 7: by Anne (new)

Anne Nydam | 124 comments How about S is for Story: A Writer's Alphabet by Esther Hershenhorn? It's about the writing process, with pictures and rhymes and additional explanation for each word.S is for Story: A Writer's Alphabet

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments S is for Story: A Writer's Alphabet looks wonderful. I like this series of alphabet books but I didn't know about this one. I added it and I'll see if the library has it when some of my reserve spaces free up.

message 9: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 8436 comments Mod
I have not tried these books, but they look promising:

The Best Story by Eileen Spinelli

Once Upon a Baby Brother by Sarah Sullivan

And, for a cursive writing story (although not a picture book), Muggie Maggie by Beverly Cleary

message 10: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (leighb) Born Yesterday. It's hilarious.

message 11: by Manybooks (new)

Leigh wrote: "Born Yesterday. It's hilarious."

Leigh, who is the author of the book you listed? If you are not going to use the add book/author link (it too me a while to figure out, but it really is easy), please list both the title and the author. Otherwise, finding the book on the GR database could be a real pain.

message 12: by Meg (last edited Jan 31, 2011 08:27AM) (new)

Meg (megbaker) | 7 comments Here are some. Though some of them are animal characters, so it depends on the purpose of your project.:

Bunny Cakes: in which they write shopping lists
Yoko Writes Her Name: Yoko writes her name in Japanese and some of the other children tease her, until they learn to write their names
Diary of a Worm: for older kids, but there are a bunch by this author
Ish: and others by the same author are about drawing, a precursor to writing
Max's Words: is an interesting book about a child that collects words from print, then uses those to create writing. Lends itself naturally to follow-up activities
Bink and Gollie: has a story about writing
The Jolly Postman: Or Other People's Letters: is a classic with letters
Dear Juno: is a sweet book about children receiving letters from far away
A Letter to Amy: another classic about lettersDiary of a Wombat: another funny book based on the concept of an animal diary
I also think Patricia Polacco has a few, but am blanking on titles. Thank You, Mr. Falker is her one about learning to read.
Toot & Puddle: has the pigs writing letters back and forth to one another
My Brother, Ant: has some writing
Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse: also has writing
Frog and Toad Are Friends: they write letters
Nate The Great

message 13: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 6163 comments Mod
I love this thread!!! As a child who loved to write (stories and letters) I always appreciated books featuring such characters. I will see if I can think of other books to add to this already great list.

message 14: by Manybooks (new)

Kathryn wrote: "I love this thread!!! As a child who loved to write (stories and letters) I always appreciated books featuring such characters. I will see if I can think of other books to add to this already gre..."

This would also be a great theme for the picture book club, perhaps.

message 15: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 6163 comments Mod
Gundula wrote: "This would also be a great theme for the picture book club, perhaps. "

True! I will add it :-)

message 16: by Manybooks (new)

Kathryn wrote: "Gundula wrote: "This would also be a great theme for the picture book club, perhaps. "

True! I will add it :-)"

Thanks, Kathryn. I should have thought of adding the theme myself, but my brain is a bit slow today.

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Melissa wrote: "Dear Mr. Henshaw"

Oops...I don't think it's a picture book.

message 19: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 192 comments Wonderful list, thanks everyone...off to add to my list of to read :)

message 21: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 2 comments If you want to find a list that has already been made that will be similar to what I am doing, check out Kids Have All The Write Stuff by Sharon Edwards and Robert Maloy. The last 20 or so pages is books.

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments I just read and really liked S is for Story: A Writer's Alphabet. I think it's geared mostly to 4th & 5th graders but has a wide age range appeal. I like most of the Sleeping Bear Press "alphabet" books.