Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Airlines to charge for babies, carry-ons, soda pop (Klootzakken!) (Lookee here! Barb's exact location is NOT in the Arctic Circle!)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i hate ala carte pricing, especially for airlines. i don't want to get to the point where i am up-charged for a pilot with more hours of experience

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I would like to say I love the term "soda pop".

How are they going to charge you for using the phone? Like...your cell phone?

I kind of agree with the baby one, honestly. I've seen some bigass babies from parents trying to save money. I guess I can understand the saving money part, but next time I fly, I'm going to get Kevin to buy a ticket and I'm going to sit on his lap.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Also, the "let's jam a bag the size of a Volvo into the carryon storage" people drive me fucking insane.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oh, I get it, like, booking over the phone. Carry on. (no pun intended)

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments What I've heard is that they don't put it in the ticket price because they have to pay higher tax on that than on "fees." Thus, they charge as little as they can for the ticket, then pile on fees to maximize profit.

Fuckers.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments By the way, if your carry-on weighs more than 25 lbs you're taking WAAAY too much shit. Leave the Shake-Weight at home, people.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Fuckers.

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori Don't they already not allow outside drinks, or is it just bottles that have already been opened?

Yeah, I'm surprised they are still allowing food. Fuckers. The stuff at the food courts is already highly priced.

Is this only US airlines? Because I've had some great overseas flights with Air France and Lufthansa, where they served not just food, but pretty darn good food and good quantity too. On US they don't even give those crackers out anymore.

Do they really charge for water? I'm flying next weekend, must remember to buy some bottled water beforehand, and avoid the $5 small bottles at the food court.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

It is just US airlines, Delta and United to be exact.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Also, the "let's jam a bag the size of a Volvo into the carryon storage" people drive me fucking insane."

This one irritates me too.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I hate that, too, and then if it doesn't fit, the attendants take it and have it put in the baggage below. And I'm wondering, did those people just get out of having to pay the baggage fee, doing that?

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori It's pretty selfish too, because their Volvo doesn't allow anyone's mini to fit in. It's one reason I am almost glad I can get up with the disabled at the very beginning of boarding, so I can get my carry on in the compartment right above me.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 18, 2011 12:00PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Do they really charge for water? I'm flying next weekend, must remember to buy some bottled water beforehand, and avoid the $5 small bottles at the food court.

You can't bring sealed water through security, I think, Lori, so you have to take an empty water bottle and fill it up at the water fountain past security. Right?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments That's right. Even if it's sealed, you can't bring bottled water through security.

Or a new jar of jam. Man, that one hurt. Bye, guava jam from Hawaii...

message 15: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I hear you, Barb. Flying has gotten to be such a hassle. I always look for other options, but often it's the only practical way to go.

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I enjoy driving more than anything, but since we don't have high speed rail (in fact our state government returned the $810 million we were to get) flying is sometimes the only option to get somewhere distant in a reasonable amount of time. So even though I don't like it, it is usually not an unenjoyable event.

message 17: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments fuckers.

message 18: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments My wife gets a discount on shipping via FedEx, so we've taken to shipping most of our stuff to our destination, then having a light-weight carry-on for the ride. For shorter trips we'll still check a bag.

message 19: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Misha wrote: "What's that in Dutch, janine?"

klootzakken
verb: verneuken

message 20: by Sally, la reina (new)

Can we get a phonetic spelling on that please?

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I hear ya. We were actually considering driving to Disneyland, instead of flying ... then we actually thought about it and decided it wasn't a good idea.

From the Arctic Circle? Fuck that.

message 22: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Sally wrote: "Can we get a phonetic spelling on that please?"

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/klootzak

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

HOOT! Did you make that just for RA? Hahahahha!

message 24: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
Nice work, Barb.

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori bravo!

message 26: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm sorry, post #33 doesn't fit my mental map of Canada or Barb's location. Please move the arctic circle down and Barb's location up.

message 27: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments She's not actually all that much farther north than we are RA.

message 28: by Sally, la reina (new)

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Oh good, I think Barb has moved up closer to the Polar Bear capital. She just needs to move over to Manitoba now.

message 30: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments

message 31: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

RA won't be happy until Barb is in Nunavut.

message 32: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "RA won't be happy until Barb is in Nunavut."

He may not be happy then either :-)

message 33: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Barb, I think RA is just jealous.

message 34: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Poor Barb! *hugs non-Arctic internet little sister*

message 35: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Just bought tickets for my wife to fly to FL next month. JUST GIVE ME THE FINAL TOTAL COST! Baggage charge, seat charge, taxes, fees, fluff your pillow??

message 36: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Btw - my fav all time carry on was a buddy of mine brought back a batman head piñata as his carry-on once from Honduras

message 37: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Kevin, would you like an extra 2 inches of hip room for $17? How about boarding in Group 2 rather than Group 3 for $9? For $7, the flight attendant will come 18 seconds faster if you buzz.

message 38: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments No, but the prez of Airtran can kiss my butt for $7.50 extra

message 39: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments You pay him or he pays you?

message 40: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments As one of Barb's online friends, I must post the following:

message 41: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Circle IV looks interesting, with the hoarders and the spendthrifts. Why is RA with the gluttons?

message 42: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Random inner circle for Random Anthony.

message 43: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Makes sense.

I like the Vestibule of the Indecisive.

message 44: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I can't decide if I'm more in the vestibule of the indecisive, the unbaptised, or the hoarders.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

How can you post a nasty anonymous comment? Just curious, I would never want to do it honestly.

::fingers crossed::

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Doh, sorry, dumb comment on my part. I've been around here so long it feels like everyone knows me personally. I don't venture much into other sites other than GR.

message 47: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Gail, it was not a dumb comment. You were honestly wondering what Misha meant.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks LG. I've come out from hidding behind my profile pic.

message 49: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Why, hello. You look lovely, Gail.

message 50: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Gail just changed her picture in the last 30 seconds. I can't keep up. Either way, I second that you look lovely, Australian.

« previous 1