Desperate BookJunkies discussion

Intro and General Topics > T.V. shows or movies

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Whats everyone watching, lately?
Of course, I only watch the stuff that may actually make you more dumb, but I love it! Like Jersey Shore, Bridalplasty, Kendra, and the x life. I also love tosh.o. Does anyone know if Daniel Tosh is gay or not? Just curious.
I actually wasted time watching Your Cut off and cant believe how pampered/spoiled and dumb these girls are. How will they ever find husbands? They can't live off mommy and daddy forever and most of them are already grown women!!
Also,I cannot wait for that new movie "No strings attached" it looks so funny and cute.
Anyone watch any good movies lately?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I am a huge TV and movie fan. As for TV I like a good cop show, but then the really unrealistic ones like Hawaii 5-0 tickles my fancy, too. I like Castle, Detroit 187, and Justified. I watch The Good Wife and have been a fan of Medium all these years. It's ending this Friday for good, so I will miss it, but that's one less hour of TV per week, so it is probably good for me.

Reality shows I watch are Survivor, and Brad Meltzer's Decoded (that is the nerd in me), and a couple of cooking shows on Food Network.

I am a little embarrassed to admit I have and still watch Days of Our Lives for over 20 years now. Talk about brain candy . . .

message 3: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Lol, I watched General Hospital up until a few years ago and sometimes I put it on just to see what's going on or I'll ask my sister to update me.
As for your shows, I've only heard of the medium and detroit 187, but have watched neither, but I've heard both are good.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Just saw The Dilemma - and I know this is weird, but I think I have a crush on Kevin James. I think he seems like a regular guy and he would be a great friend to have around to make you laugh all the time! I have also seen him on late night talk and he is so nice. So now it is Matt Damon, Jon Bon Jovi and Kevin James. Weird, but true!

message 5: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments My wife and I just saw a really cool trippy film called Mind Hunters with L.L.Cool Jay, Val Kilmer and Christian Slater. It has a very cool and well thought out ending.
Also thought I'd share info of a film coming out in April. Do you remember John Carpenter's The Thing? I still get freaked out about the head with spider legs and look at my dog funny when he comes in from outside :O) Anyway, they are coming out with a prequel to that film...very exciting. Also, there is a remake of Conan coming out this coming fall. I have no idea who is playing the part yet but should be interesting.

message 6: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Jenn wrote: "Just saw The Dilemma - and I know this is weird, but I think I have a crush on Kevin James. I think he seems like a regular guy and he would be a great friend to have around to make you laugh all ..."

Omg and I have a serious crush on vince vaughnn, lol! so how was the movie? did u love it? would you watch it again? I bought couples retreat and four christmas' because I love him and I didnt love the movies though. But I loved wedding crashers( my fav. movie) and the breakup.

message 7: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Steven wrote: "My wife and I just saw a really cool trippy film called Mind Hunters with L.L.Cool Jay, Val Kilmer and Christian Slater. It has a very cool and well thought out ending.
Also thought I'd share inf..."

mind hunters.. whats that about? And i dont remember the thing, but i do know thing 1 and thing 2, lol.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Cici wrote: "Jenn wrote: "Just saw The Dilemma - and I know this is weird, but I think I have a crush on Kevin James. I think he seems like a regular guy and he would be a great friend to have around to make y..."

I liked the movie, I don't know if I would watch it over and over, but I would watch it again if it was on TV. It's worth a trip to the show. And there is a Detroit connection in the storyline. They were here filming part of this a year ago, always neat to see Detroit area locales in a movie.

message 9: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Well, I will definetly check it out.

message 10: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments OMG Cici you have to rent The Thing with Curt Russel by John Carpenter. It's a real cool movie about an alien that is by far the creepiest alien. They actually made a really fun videogame from it for PS2 a while back. Also, we watched Four Christmas and it was hilarious. I thought Vince's brothers in that were a riot :O) Vince Vaughn also played an awesome Norman Bates in the Psycho remake as well.

message 11: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Steven wrote: "OMG Cici you have to rent The Thing with Curt Russel by John Carpenter. It's a real cool movie about an alien that is by far the creepiest alien. They actually made a really fun videogame from it f..."

Really? I havent seen psycho, obviously he wouldnt be funny in that one! I'll have to check both out!

message 12: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments nope he ain't funny in it. he plays the role perfectly.

message 13: by Suz (new)

Suz | 30 comments Hey Jenn, I am a Medium and Justified fan too! I also watch Burn Notice, Psych, Royal Pains, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Chuck, Being Human, and Nikita. Too many!

message 14: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments I used to watch Medium but got sucked into a lot of other shows and couldn't keep up. Ghost Whisperer was a good one too. We watch Fringe, Vampire Diaries and V now. We used to watch Heros and we loved Lost. I miss Hurley and well of coarse I miss Kate and my wife misses Sawyer too.

message 15: by Suz (new)

Suz | 30 comments Oh yeah, I knew this list was too short. Thanks for jogging my memory Steven! I used to watch Ghost Whisperer and now watch Fringe, Vampire Diaries and V too. I started watching The Event because they kept saying it was like Lost but it's very so-so and may be cancelled.

message 16: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
I used to LOVE Heros! And then one day I just stopped watching it. Is it even still on? I wonder what happened to everyone. I guess I'll have to rent it.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Steven wrote: "OMG Cici you have to rent The Thing with Curt Russel by John Carpenter. It's a real cool movie about an alien that is by far the creepiest alien. They actually made a really fun videogame from it f..."

Oh I totally agree about the Vince Vaughn/Norman Bates - I totally forgot about that remake! He was CREEPY! But I guess that's the point . . .

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Steven wrote: "I used to watch Medium but got sucked into a lot of other shows and couldn't keep up. Ghost Whisperer was a good one too. We watch Fringe, Vampire Diaries and V now. We used to watch Heros and we l..."

I stuck with both Heroes and Lost to the end. I was sad to see them both go, but my problem with Lost was not the ending, but the fact that they could have done that particular ending after season 3 . . . The rest of the seasons have no purpose with that ending. Feels like I was cheated - kinda like the ending of Misery by Stephen King. He could have hit her on the head with the typewriter in chapter 7.

message 19: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
lol!

message 20: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments yeah but if he hit her on the head in chapter 7 he wouldn't have been hobbled later on and ya gotta have a little ouch/gross factor with King. As for Lost I am still trying to figure out the whole Darma people and Ben. I felt bad for Ben at the end. I think the strength with Lost was it's characters and how well the actors became those people, and after a while the audience had become so pulled into the world of Lost that it almost became personal. In a weird way I actually miss our Lost people and wish someone out there could write a series of books that have more to do with them or even the island.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Steven wrote: "yeah but if he hit her on the head in chapter 7 he wouldn't have been hobbled later on and ya gotta have a little ouch/gross factor with King. As for Lost I am still trying to figure out the whole ..."

I would be up for a book about the Hurley-as-protector-of-the-island! His adventures and who he picks to succeed him. I just hope Sayid and Jin are in them - ooh-la-la!

Speaking of Jin, I was really ticked at the way Jin chose to die with Sun - they have a daughter that really needs one of her parents, especially with Sun's maniacal father on the loose! I thought that it was really selfish of Jin and not indicative of how his character had grown over the run of the show. Disappointing.

message 22: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments yeah but technically, sorry for the SPOILER for anyone else, but he was kinda already dead in a way wasn't he? Outside of that I can see your point.
As for the Hurley idea I am so down with that. Can you imagine how many holes of golf there would be on that island if Hurley was in charge :O)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Steven wrote: "yeah but technically, sorry for the SPOILER for anyone else, but he was kinda already dead in a way wasn't he? Outside of that I can see your point.
As for the Hurley idea I am so down with that...."

I thought they didn't die until they died. Not that being on the island made them dead.

message 24: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments I don't know but I had a sense at the end that that was the direction it was pointing in. Maybe the island was a half way point? Kind of like an Everlost world for adults?

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Steven wrote: "I don't know but I had a sense at the end that that was the direction it was pointing in. Maybe the island was a half way point? Kind of like an Everlost world for adults?"

I don't know. You know I used to watch the X-Files every Sunday night and then go into work the next day and have my friend who also watched explain it to me. Fast-forward a few years and the same thing happened every Thursday morning with the same friend and Lost. I think I am too stupid to watch these types of shows. I think I will stick with Hawaii 5-0, no questions there, just very attractive people kicking butt.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Season 2 of Justified on FX tomorrow night! I am very excited. I was scheduled to work tomorrow night until 9:30, but that meant I would miss the first part of Justified, so I told my boss I had to leave at 9! I am a dork!

message 27: by Suz (new)

Suz | 30 comments Jenn wrote: "Season 2 of Justified on FX tomorrow night! I am very excited. I was scheduled to work tomorrow night until 9:30, but that meant I would miss the first part of Justified, so I told my boss I had ..."

Justified rocks! I couldn't believe how last season ended & can't wait to see this one too!

message 28: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments I really need to watch Justified from the beginning. I've seen commercials for it and it looks good. As for Lost J.J. Abrams always has little hidden messages and such in his work so there could be things that I haven't figured out with Lost yet. His movies and shows are almost like watching a videogame with all types of puzzles going on.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

There is a new show on History Channel called Decoded. Brad Meltzer is the host and it is basically Mythbusters, but for history myths. It is not bad, I liked it enough to watch the whole season, but I found myself wondering if Meltzer is a good author. He gets mixed reviews from amazon and from goodreads, so I downloaded The First Counsel and am enjoying it very much. It is Grisham-like in its young-lawyer-turns-crusader-and-runs-for-his-life. Anyone else read him?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone seen Jane Eyre? It looks very dark, unlike many of the movies already made on the subject. Does it stick to the book? Is it stinky? Worth a Sunday morning $4.00 show?

message 31: by Joe (new)

Joe (skinsjoe) | 12 comments Jenn wrote: "There is a new show on History Channel called Decoded. Brad Meltzer is the host and it is basically Mythbusters, but for history myths. It is not bad, I liked it enough to watch the whole season, ..."

I have read a couple of Meltzer's books and they are very good. He is from my area and constantly on the radio around here. Start with the Zero Game. Very good intro to Meltzer. I have also read Book of Fate, which was good. Have Book of Lies on my shelf to read. Have seen one of the shows and it is pretty good. Keep wanting to catch more.

message 32: by David (new)

David Katzman (daviddavid) | 15 comments I have a feeling this group would like a show that i got hooked on this year...it's called Being Human, and it's on the Syfy network. The premise sounds like the start of a bad joke, "A vampire, a werewolf, and a ghost are roommates..." but it's actually really good! Good acting and some killer dialogue, pun intended. The first season is over, but you can probably catch it on re-runs. Totally worth it. I wish the season wasn't over.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

David wrote: "I have a feeling this group would like a show that i got hooked on this year...it's called Being Human, and it's on the Syfy network. The premise sounds like the start of a bad joke, "A vampire, a ..."

I have seen this show. This is a remake of the British Being Human which I think is even better. You can see it on BBC America or catch up in DVD or hulu.com. Check it out and compare, but some people don't like the Brit's accents. Some of the first shows are the same as the American version. BBC America often has marathons of this show.

message 34: by David (new)

David Katzman (daviddavid) | 15 comments I heard about the BBC version, but I don't want to ruin the surprise of what will happen next. The guy who plays the wolf, Josh, in Syfy is hilarious. I googled them to attempt to compare and dome people liked Syfy better and some BBC. What do you like better about it?

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

David wrote: "I heard about the BBC version, but I don't want to ruin the surprise of what will happen next. The guy who plays the wolf, Josh, in Syfy is hilarious. I googled them to attempt to compare and dome ..."

The actors (maybe I am more used to them since I have watched it from the beginning), the writing and the humor - British humor cracks me up!

message 36: by David (new)

David Katzman (daviddavid) | 15 comments True, british humor is great - i'm a huge fan of Monty Python, and I used to love The Young Ones. I'm also addicted to Doctor Who which is sometimes funny. But i do think Josh is really funny in the American version, and tragic at the same time. He's a solid actor. I've read some people comparing the two versions online and people say that the British version is "slower" paced, and the American version has better special effects. I suspect people tend to prefer the one they started watching first. But now since the BBC is on Season 3, i believe? It's too far ahead for me to switch!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) Summer TV is rather dull for me. I just watch Covert Affairs (because I need something to mock lol) and Rizzoli & Isles. And of course, TRUE BLOOD.

Year round, I watch Mythbusters. I've seen each and every episode at least twice.

Fall is when I get into high gear... CRIMINAL MINDS and Castle - so much LOVE. Nikita was a definite surprise from last season. And the CSI show here and there. Hawaii Five-0, Glee (because I need something to trash), The Mentalist, Dexter, BLUE BLOODS (love this). I used to watch Vampire Diaries until I couldn't stand it anymore.

For the other shows, I fell so much in love with The Borgias and The Killing. Of course, Game of Thrones. SPARTACUS is a guilty pleasure. For reality, TOP CHEF. Iron Chef, Chopped -- this house loves cooking shows.

(Of course, I watch half these shows for work lol.)

message 38: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Cate wrote: "Summer TV is rather dull for me. I just watch Covert Affairs (because I need something to mock lol) and Rizzoli & Isles. And of course, TRUE BLOOD.

Year round, I watch Mythbusters. I've seen ..."

Someone told me about Castle but I haven't watched it, yet.
Cate, what do you do for work.
I sadly only have been watching reality shows, when I do watch t.v.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) The 1st and 2nd seasons of Castle are way better than the 3rd one. But it's a good show. Funny cop drama. :)

I recap/review tv shows for a website. Ghost writer-y type of writing. Doesn't pay much but it's something to do.

I love reality cooking shows.

message 40: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
I actually just was watching one and couldn't believe all the beautiful things they were creating with cupcakes!!!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) I enjoy Cupcake Wars... and all the shows about cakes. Shame there's no more Ace of Cakes.

message 42: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) As far as the movies go, I can't wait to see Snow Flower and the Secret Fan based on the book by Lisa See and The Help based on the book by Kathryn Stockett.

message 43: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I have found myself quite bored with telelvision this summer except for Weeds and Curb Yoiur Enthusiasm. To tell the truth, I watched little during the winter relying on Netflix (streaming or DVD's) or cable stations.

I must admit I have two guilty pleasures - The Real Housewives of New Jersey and New York. To tell the truth I find their conversation and lifestyle LOL.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) Nancy wrote: "As far as the movies go, I can't wait to see Snow Flower and the Secret Fan based on the book by Lisa See and The Help based on the book by Kathryn Stockett."

The Snow Flower movie wasn't very good but I like the actors.

My summer shows are: True Blood, Covert Affairs, and Rizzoli & Isles. That's about it.

message 45: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Wade (goodreadscomauthorrachaelwade) I'm with Nancy. Nothing on TV has interested me this summer. Strangely, (I hate medical dramas, just within the past 6 months I've been on a huge Grey's Anatomy kick, and like Steven, I usually watch Vampire Diaries (yes, and all of its bad acting in its glory), both of which won't be on again until September. I'm always bummed by summer TV. Meh. Maybe next year.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) I tried Grey's Anatomy but I really do not like Katherine Heigl so I can't stand it. I survived TVD's first season, even thought it was GREAT. But the acting and writing was in a constant decline in season 2. O_o

The SPARTACUS shows are consuming my life right now.