What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Children's illustrated, Tidal wave/Tsunami, set in Asia

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (last edited Jan 18, 2011 10:34AM) (new)

Barbara | 3 comments Not among the listed books discussed in another thread (it occurred to me it might have been the Pearl Buck because as a younger reader I adored her) but I distinctly recall this as being a beautifully illustrated book, set somewhere in Asia. The story describes the sea receding as far as the eye can see, leaving miles of sand bars - I recall an almost pacific tone - before it comes towering back to wash over the island(?) I would say it has a boy as the narrator and there may have been brothers.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jan 18, 2011 04:21PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
are you sure about the boy? Could it maybe be Island of the Blue Dolphins

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 3 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "are you sure about the boy? Could it maybe be Island of the Blue Dolphins"

Thanks for the thought but I feel it was a younger readers book, an illustrated. I'll get a copy of IBD to check.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40227 comments Mod
Not the Five Chinese Brothers? It has a scene where one of the brothers swallows the sea.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/81...

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 3 comments I keep thinking of that title - I better go get that book!

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Here is a discussion of the book, with some of its illustrations.

http://www.deceptology.com/2010/11/be...

message 7: by Leela4 (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments I don't remember a tsunami in "Island of the Blue Dolphins".

message 8: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lsneal) | 12 comments I remember something very like this from my grade school years, but I don't remember the title either. I also remember the scene where the sea recedes very clearly, but I thought the narrator was a girl. (Although this is possibly because I dreamed about tsunamis for YEARS after reading this, so perhaps I confused myself with the protagonist?) It was not a fairy tale, i.e., there was no magical ending to the story that I remember - no one stopped the tsunami or swallowed the ocean or anything. I seem to recall the girl running up the highest hill in the town to escape from the tsunami, and later going to try to find out if her home and family survived.

message 9: by Karen (last edited Jan 22, 2011 02:32PM) (new)

Karen | 5 comments We're sure it's not The Big Wave by Pearl Buck? Too many similarities for me.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Is it the Big Wave, I've been trying to remember the title for years, it got in my head a lil while ago and all I could remember was a character named Chibi......and now a massive tsunami has hit Japan, my prayers go out to all of those affected

message 11: by Lindsey (last edited Mar 15, 2011 08:58AM) (new)

Lindsey (thisisthatverymab) | 76 comments Is it a chapter book or a picture book?

A great picture book about a tsunami in Japan came out in 2009: Tsunami! by Kimiko Kajikawa

message 12: by Deb (new)

Deb (vtscaper) | 11 comments I am wondering if I am looking for the same book. I read this when I was in elementary school, c. 1970's, I believe, and it has always stuck with me. It is about a seaside village in Japan, and none of the windows in the houses face the ocean because of the fear of the big waves. So nobody can see the big wave approaching. This story, of course, has come back to mind sharply right now.....I believe in the same story the children go to a school, and one boy is ostracized throughout the years, and when school ends he is recognized with an award for never missing a day of school..despite the treatment he was given...I may just be losing it, but do these scenarios sound familiar to anyone?

message 13: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 63 comments I can't find anything that sounds like that book, but if anyone is looking for resources to help little kids cope with news of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, I found this site with a great list of books (scroll down to the bottom of the article):

http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/s...

None of them are old enough to be the book you're looking for, sorry!

message 14: by MizziQ (new)

MizziQ | 0 comments I don't remember the title which I know is exactly what you need, but... could it be about a boy coping with the appearance of the big wave as they call it, and realizing his friend lost his family and needed to help him cope. I also remember that they went to a old man's house for cover. If that sounds familiar i think it had something to do with courage in the title. If it doesn't sound familiar at all just disregard this note! :)

message 15: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 9 comments I've been trying to remember that book myself, Barbara. I think I read it in 5th or 6th grade (1970s). I also thought it was written by Pearl S. Buck. It isn't The Big Wave, The 5 Chinese Brothers, or Island of the Blue Dolphin. There is nothing in the story about ostracization. I am wondering if it one of the "other stories" included in the book The Big Wave and Other Stories. I'm pretty sure the main character was a girl. I'm not sure if it took place in Japan, but that's what I'm thinking. In the story the sea recedes. The people who live next to the sea marvel at how the seabed is exposed. The villagers realized the opportunity of collecting clams. I think the children were let out of school to go down to the seabed to collect clams. As they collect clams, the sea returns in a large wave.
I read this book when I was young and figured everyone else had. I was shocked when I saw the videos on the news of the people in Asia perplexed by the seawater as it pulled away from shore in 2004. I knew exactly what that meant. All I could think was, "Didn't they read that book!?"
The main character in The Big Wave is a boy who lives on the side of a mountain. He is friends with a boy who lives next to the sea. The houses next to the sea do not have windows facing the sea so that they do not see a tsunami as it approaches. (Go figure that out.)
Great praise to the finder of the title of this story!!

message 16: by Bryan457 (new)

Bryan457 | 284 comments The other book that is very similar to Island of the Blue Dolphins, but has a boy protagonist is Call It Courage. It has been a very very long time since I read it, so I have no idea if there is a tsunami.

message 17: by Js700 (new)

Js700 | 107 comments Nation by Terry Pratchett? Great book--the sea recedes and then a tsunami strikes. If not, give it a try anyway--great book!

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 58 comments Perhaps Low Tide by William Mayne? Although I believe it's set in New Zeland, so perhaps not. It's been awhile since I've read it, about 18 years...

message 19: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Barbara, are you still looking for this book?

message 20: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Rather far-fetched plot. Tsunamis in SE Asia?

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol Kalynuk jones | 1 comments ~I thing I may be looking for the same book. I believe I read it in 1971. The one thing the stayed with me was the grandpa explaining death to the child. He said something along the lines of when we are born we cry because we are afraid of what we do not know. All we know is in our mother's womb. It is the same with death. We fear it only because, now, all we know is life. But look how nice things turned out after we were born. It is the same with death. It will turn out nice, we just don't it yet. Just like when we were born.

message 22: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 9 comments I don't know if Barbara is still searching for the title of her book, but I am still wondering about the title of the one I read about a girl. Her school is let out to collect clams or oysters when the seabed is exposed. While the villagers are collecting the mollusks, the tsunami comes into view. The girl runs away. It is not Low Tide, Nation, or Call It Courage. Yes, it really is not The Big Wave. Thank you for everyone's guesses.

message 23: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 9 comments Feliks wrote: "Rather far-fetched plot. Tsunamis in SE Asia?"

Tsunamis do not occur regularly. Therefore, it is important to have a story to tell future generations. When the ocean pulled away from shore in Indonesia in 2004, an older man told the children to run to higher elevation. He said that the sea god(dess) had swallowed the ocean and would spit it back up in a large wave. The children laughed at him for telling such a story. It's a story passed through the generations to allow future generations to survive tsunamis.

The story we're trying to remember is the same sort of warning story. I wish I could remember the name of it. It was a good story. I would have known what was happening when the ocean pulled away from shore in 2004. Unfortunately, lots of people in Indonesia did not. It's one example of why people should know the folklore of where they live.

message 24: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 9 comments deleted user wrote: "Is it the Big Wave, I've been trying to remember the title for years, it got in my head a lil while ago and all I could remember was a character named Chibi......and now a massive tsunami has hit J..."

Chibi ("small boy") is a small boy who is otracized in the book Crow Boy by Taro Yashima. There isn't a tsumani in the story. It takes place in a Japanese village at the base of a mountain.

message 25: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 9 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Barbara, are you still looking for this book?"

I am.

message 26: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21054 comments Maureen, you may want to create a separate thread for your book. This thread is still in Abandoned because Barbara never came back.