BOOK-A-HOLICS discussion

Group Books Under Discussion > The Road Discussion room

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
This is a room for discussion of anyone who is reading or has read The Road

There may be spoilers to do not read this if you do not want to know important parts of the book.

message 2: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 05, 2008 04:56PM) (new)

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 12, 2008 07:19PM) (new)

I have finished The Road. Good reading, interesting style, but I may need therapy or antidepressants! This is the darkest book we have read.

message 4: by Annet (new)

Annet (abpg) | 6 comments One of the best books I read in my life. I'm a big fan of Cormac McCarthy now, reading all his books. The story really moved me and shocked me and I cried at the end of the book. What a story.... Couldn't put it down. Style of writing, very simple, very direct, very dark, very impressive. It is seldom that a book of this character and quality is published. Try Outer Dark, another McCarthy book.

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I read this quite awhile ago, but the story still haunts me today.

As far as this novel, I have to tell you, I read it in nearly one sitting. I had to pee (of course) and eat dinner, but I couldnt put the book down.
His writing just grabbed me. The lack of background, the not knowing what the hell happened, who or what caused the devastation, was there any hope in any other city, country.. All those questions were what kept me turning page after page.

It was a father and son.. the names dont matter, the town doesnt matter, the reason doesnt matter, none of that would help them. Survival was all they (or we, the reader) needed to worry about. I felt like I was walking that ashen road side by side with them. We dont know if anything was alive and growing in any other parts of the world, we need to keep walking and surviving to find out.....

It was so bueatiful and tragic and painful to read.... yet the love and hope never faultered. Not once.

I didnt know until recently that they are making a movie. I really hope it does the book justice.

And by the way, if you are looking for a book similar to THe Road , but with a little more backstory and a lot more answers as far as searching for surviviors and rebuilding society, pick up Earth Abides. It is not nearly as bleak and may be more fulfilling for those of you who were left wanting a bit more from The Road!

--as for me, there is no comparision to The Road... but I understand not everyone is in love with McCarthys sparce and open to interpretation style.

message 6: by Candy (new)

Candy I will look for Earth Abides...interesting.

I am a big life long fan of McCarthy. I am glad that so many people were introduced to him, even though this novel was a painful read. I cried a lot too. I haven't re-read it since it came out and I don't know if I ill.

I've read Suttree and Blood Meridian each many times and all of his work at least once.

Some of his novels are more sparce...like No Country For Old Men...but Suttree I often have to read a sentence a couple of times.

(I've even been to Knoxville twice to see the area where The Road was set aand other of his early novels!)

The movie version of this book should be by November in bigger cities. I am really looking forward to it...I'll basically see anything Viggo Mortgensen is is...(wink wink)

message 7: by Wes, Moderator (new)

I never got a chance to read this one but I am trying to order it now.
Hopefully I will have it soon to read.

message 8: by Wes, Moderator (new)

I am reading this one now... almost finished great books so far I can't wait to discuss it.

message 9: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Just finished The Road great book, I loved it. I like how you don't know why it all happened, you don't know their names but you do know them. Great book to use imagination to fill in the blanks.