SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Para-Themed TV Shows & Movies > Movie: Hunger Games

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 2098 comments Interesting article in January 14 issue of Entertainment Weekly with Gary Ross, director of the movie. He's hoping to have it in theaters in 2012. He talks about a packet of letters he received from a middle school near Lubbock, Texas and he seems to be paying attention to their concerns.

message 2: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 612 comments What was the article said & the concerns?

message 3: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments I'm guessing the don't want him to show all the violence, so it can be rated where kids can actually see it. :)

message 4: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments Will it still make an impact if they don't show the violence and death? IMO, probably not.

message 5: by CyberAlmu (new)

CyberAlmu | 302 comments It is absurd to pretend that by not explicitly showing violence and blood the theme is suitable for kids

message 6: by Laura Lulu (last edited Jan 18, 2011 12:26PM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Depends on the kid. The book is read by kids, so I would assume those same kids who loved the books will want to be able to see the movie in theaters. It is a YA book, and if a middle school teacher is having her class write letters about it, I'm guessing they read the book in class.

But, reading about violence and actually seeing an actor murdered on screen are different. You just have a much more visceral reaction seeing violence, as opposed to reading about it.

I don't know what the rating guidelines are for movies, but I'm guessing if they shoot the movie exactly as the book is written, kids will have to be accompanied by a parent to see the movie. And I'd be willing to bet many of the parents didn't read the book, so they will automatically say no to taking their kid to an adult rated movie.

message 7: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Here's the article about the kids' letters. It's actually pretty cool--since most people who read the book before they see the movie think the movie wasn't all that, the reading teacher had the kids write to the director to make sure he kept the best stuff from the book in the movie. :)

http://thehoborg.blogspot.com/2011/01...

message 8: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 612 comments Laura Lulu, Thanks for posting the blog.

message 9: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 612 comments I don't know how they are going to pull this off. Best of luck to the producers!!

message 10: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments Well said, LLL!

I've just had a look at rating guidelines for the US and I feel sorry for the kids there. They have nothing in between 13 and 17 year olds. We in the UK have a "15" rating (15 years old and over) so it may not be an issue for us. It might even sneak in under "12A" which I think is similar to PG-13.

message 11: by CyberAlmu (new)

CyberAlmu | 302 comments My mistake then, i thought by kids we were talking about under 13yo.

I remember I had to read The Lords of The Flies back in school when I was 14 and it was disgusting. HG has a lot of it too but from a 28yo view I could enjoy it

message 12: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 2098 comments Thanks Laura Lulu. I hadn't gotten around to looking for the article on the net yet. (I read the print version.) Knowing he's going to have to answer to his own kids, they're the ones who brought HG to his attention, can't hurt matters. LOL

message 13: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 2098 comments Ooops, just realized it doesn't actually link to the EW article itself.

In the article it's mentioned that Ross' 15 year old twins brought HG to his attention. He then stayed up 'til 2 a.m reading it himself. As much as the firestorm and action sequences were "incredibly riveting", the relationships were the most moving to him. He's apparently been in contact with Suzanne Collins, trying to really nail down Katniss' character. The kids' letters also mentioned concerns about the muttations being properly portrayed.

message 14: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments People, you need to keep March 23, 2012 free because The Hunger Games will be on our screens!

http://www.hungergamesmovies.net/movi...

message 15: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments WOW! That's not far away at all. Much sooner than I expected to see it out. Thanks for sharing! :)

Definitely should be interesting to see how it all plays out on the big screen. Oh, please, please come to Oki!

message 16: by Kristen (new)

Kristen  (yogamamareads) | 422 comments Have you all seen the cover of Entertainment Weekly today?? Katniss looks AWESOME! I showed my students today and they all agreed that she looks the right age, but not completely starving.

Katniss Picture

message 17: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments I did. It helped picture that actress as Katniss. Thanks for sharing here, Kristen. :)

message 18: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Good picture! I'm looking forward to this more and more!

message 19: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Ah yes. Very nice! I feel these films are going to be quite emotional.

message 20: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments Most definitely. I hope they are done well. If so, they'll be a lot of fun to watch, for sure!

message 21: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments Donald Sutherland has been cast for President Snow.
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/05/31...

message 22: by Dana (last edited Jun 02, 2011 12:50AM) (new)

Dana (erato) | 922 comments Amy or "Ames" wrote: "Donald Sutherland has been cast for President Snow.
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/05/31..."

I'm starting Catching Fire today! I don't know what Pres. Snow's personality is like yet (I'll see that in this book right?), but I am guessing that he is a jerk! No one plays a pompous @$$ like Donald Sutherland. :)

message 23: by ൠSinful (new)

ൠSinful  (sinful) | 7 comments I think they have a great cast so far.

message 24: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Erato wrote: "I'm starting Catching Fire today! I don't know what Pres. Snow's personality is like yet (I'll see that in this book right/), but I am guessing that he is a jerk! No one plays a pompous @$$ like Donald Sutherland. :) ..."

Called that one right! Enjoy Catching Fire!!

message 25: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments Amy or "Ames" wrote: "Donald Sutherland has been cast for President Snow.
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/05/31..."

I guess I could see that. He's a good actor, so I think he can play the part well.

message 26: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 2098 comments Donald Sutherland, thumbs up. I also can't wait to see what Lenny Kravitz does with the role of Cinna.

message 27: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments Me too, Daffodil.

message 28: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments I was going to post that I just saw X-Men and spent a good portion of the movie unsuccessfully trying to imagine Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, but after seeing the link Kristen posted, I can see it now. Thanks Kristen :)

message 29: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments The hair color change helps a lot.

message 30: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments Yeah, I agree. Initially, I thought she looked too old for Katniss too, but I'm coming around to the idea.

message 31: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments Posters, photos and news HERE

message 32: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments Great post, Ames!

message 34: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments Cool. I can't wait to see the movie. Hope it's good.

message 35: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Nov 12, 2011 03:29AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments The Hunger Games Trailer to Premiere on Good Morning America
LINK:
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movien...

The debut will be hosted in person by actor Josh Hutcherson (THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT), who plays the pivotal character of Peeta Mellark in the film, in the top rated 8:00 hour of the show on Monday, November 14th. In addition to airing nationwide, the trailer will also be shown in its entirety on Good Morning America's jumbotron in New York City's Times Square.

message 36: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3616 comments Not sure if this link works - but here is the trailer for Hunger Games: http://www.eonline.com/news/New__i_Hu...

message 37: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments Here's the one that worked for me: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392170/ WOW! I wasn't sure about the movie, but that trailer looks hot! I'm officially excited about the movie. :)

message 38: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3616 comments Me too! The trailer really hits the mark...

message 39: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments Absolutely!

message 40: by Renee (new)

Renee B. (fictionalpursuit) | 17 comments Kristen **NaNoWriMo winner!!** wrote: "Have you all seen the cover of Entertainment Weekly today?? Katniss looks AWESOME! I showed my students today and they all agreed that she looks the right age, but not completely starving.

Kat..."

I agree, that's what I told my sister. I thought she'd be way skinnier but it's good enough and after seeing the trailer, I'm even more excited. :D Can't wait. :)

message 41: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments The trailer has me and hubby super excited about the movie. He's finishing up the books and now, because the trailer, cannot help but picture Woody Harrelson as Haymitch.

message 42: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3616 comments If you also have facebook, they have some pretty good wall photos and trailers there to promote the movie... Just keeping us all sucked in, and it's working!

message 43: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 612 comments I love Maroon 5 and glad to hear that one of their song "Come Away" (feat. Rozzi Crane) is on the soundtrack.

message 44: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments I love M5 too, Wan. Haven't seen the soundtrack, so I wasn't aware they had a song in there. Cool!

message 45: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments I scanned Total Film magazine's article on Hunger Games and uploaded to my Google Docs, if anyone would like to read it. It's 5 pages long. I haven't read it yet, but it's sitting on my coffee table waiting patiently for me.

You should be able to access it here. Lemme know if you have any problems w/the link. :)

message 46: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments Suzanne likes the movie, per this post @ vulture.com:

The weekend's dosage of Hunger Games hype came courtesy of series author Suzanne Collins, who heartily endorsed Gary Ross's Hollywood adaptation. "I’ve just had the opportunity to see the finished film of The Hunger Games," Collins wrote on Facebook. "I feel like the book and the film are individual yet complementary pieces that enhance one another. The film opens up the world beyond Katniss’ point of view, allowing the audience access to the happenings of places like the Hunger Games control room and President Snow’s rose garden, thereby adding a new dimension to the story." Cool! Also: "It’s amazing to see things that are suggested in the book fully developed and so brilliantly realized through the artistry of the designers." Even if the eye candy of The Hunger Games is on point and everything else sucks, the movie's basically a win.

message 47: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments The Games begin ~ Friday, 23 March!
(Grab your countdown widget here.)

I'd planned on re-reading the trilogy (or at least book 1) before watching the movie. Hubby is about 1/2 way through the third book. It probably won't play here for a while, so I still have some time. I'm hoping the local Japanese theatre (which has big screens; as compared to the base theatre that was probably built in the 70's) will have it close to the US release date. We are SO anxious to watch the movie!

Tor.com shared a couple new clips:
2 Katniss clips
Peeta clip (spoiler)

Anyone re-reading prior to watching the movie? How do you think the two will compare? Lookin' very close to the book from what clips I've seen so far. Do you think the movie will have a bigger opening weekend than the first Harry Potter film?

message 48: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3616 comments I just did a re-listen on audio last week. Of course that led to Catching Fire and now almost finished with Mockingjay. Pretty excited about this one, and so are several book buddies I got to read the series. I have a couple of teenage nieces that read too, so I'm sure I'll have company in the theatre.

message 49: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29207 comments I'm going to grab the audiobooks from the library again, if they're available that is, to re-read. I'm hoping I can get a re-read of HG at least before watching the movie. Otherwise, I'll have a hard time noticing any differences. My memory sucks and I first read HG in 2009. (I didn't realize it'd been that long ago.)

message 50: by Leah (new)

Leah | 880 comments Sometimes if I haven't read a book for a while then I prefer not reading it right before I see the movie. That way I might actually be surprised at some of the movie's twists and turns, and I'm not just anticipating the next scene.

Having said that, it probably won't work with the Hunger Games because I've read the book so many times that parts of it are ingrained in my memory...

« previous 1 3