Picture Books discussion

Great picture books on tape/CD

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Janine Parsons | 20 comments What great recordings have you heard of pictures books on tape/cd? List the company who makes the tape/cd if possible.

I just checked out from the public library & listened to Mama Don't Allow(cd) by Live Oak and it was pretty good.

message 2: by Jess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Jess | 4 comments Halley Came to Jackson by Mary Chapin Carpenter. I do this book with my first grade music classes before their trip to the planetarium, and then we improv. comet dances as a follow up to the song. The music and illustrations and beautiful and children are excited to discover that the woman at the end was the baby at the beginning.
Here is the Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Halley-Came-Jac...

I also love Marsupial Sue and The Runaway Pancake, both written and performed by John Lithgow. I also mentioned in another topic that the book Big Pumpkin has a great recording to it, but when I was looking to replace my tape which I recorded from a friend I discovered that if you buy it on Amazon (only used available) it costs between $175 to $250 (no, I didn't forget the decimal points!) On Ebay the CD is now bidding at $41 which seems like a steal. :) My tape needs to last another 20 or so years!!!!

message 3: by Janine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new)

Janine Parsons | 20 comments A teacher mentioned Marsupial Sue was great.

message 4: by ABC (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 9 comments I broke open our tapes of a Roald Dahl collection yesterday. It's read by the author and was very well done. Very cool British accent!

It cost about 25 dollars and has four tapes with five different stories.

message 5: by Angie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Angie One of my favorite picture book audios is "Pumpkin Eye" by Denise Fleming. The narrator adds the right amount of spooky and the music is excellent. Love it.

message 6: by Ronyell (last edited Aug 21, 2010 08:39PM) (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 3 comments My favorite picture books on tapes are the ones from Rabbit Ears. Rabbit Ears has stories narrated by famous celebrities and that's what I loved about the series. Some Rabbit Ears titles that I really enjoyed were:

The Fool and the Flying Ship, which is narrated by Robin Williams along with illustrations by Henrik Drescher
Pecos Bill, which is also narrated by Robin Williams along with illustrations by Tim Raglin
John Henry, which is narrated by Denzel Washington along with illustrations by Barry Jackson
Brer Rabbit and Boss Lion, which is narrated by Danny Glover along with illustrations by Bill Mayer
The Firebird, which is narrated by Susan Sarandon along with illustrations by Robert Van Nutt
How the Rhinoceros Got His Skin, which is narrated by Jack Nicholson along with illustrations by Tim Raglin

Rabbit Ears is actually available on both DVDs and audio cds.