The Hugo Awards Discussion Group discussion

2011 Hugo Awards > Nominee predictions?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone have any predictions as to who will be nominated for the award this year? I've actually read astoundingly little sci-fi published in 2010, but I would really like to see Ian Tregillis' Bitter Seeds get nominated. I also think Valmore Daniels' Forbidden The Stars is worthy, but it is self-published, so I doubt it. If I had to guess, I would think the nominees will be:

Robert J. Sawyer - WWW:Watch
Paolo Bacigalupi - Shipbreaker
Ian Tregillis - Bitter Seeds
China Mieville - Kraken

Not really sure on a fifth, but it seems like Sawyer and Mieville are always nominated.

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt | 18 comments Would you consider Shipbreaker to be hugo type material?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read it. I'm not talking about what I'm voting for, but what I predict will be nominated.

message 4: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 67 comments I think your predicted line-up is pretty spot on. I agree that Mieville and Sawyer are consistent nomininees. Also agree that we probably will see Shipbreaker on the list given last years success.

You must have read Bitter Seeds? If so, you are the second person now that has commented it's nominee-worthy. I may have to search out a copy of this one.

message 5: by Gail (new)

Gail | 16 comments I think Connie Willis has a good shot at being nominated for Blackout, All Clear, or both, because the Hugo voters historically seem to like her. She isn't my thing, but I am apparently not a typical Hugo voter. I also wouldn't be surprised if Kraken (China Mieville) makes the ballot, and perhaps Surface Detail (Iain M. Banks). I won't be nominating them, but they seem to be getting a lot of attention. And just perhaps Lauren Beukes for Zoo City, since it seems to impress a lot of people. Personally I got stuck halfway through, but I might give it another shot some time.

message 6: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (leighb) | 6 comments Regarding the Hugo's, is there somewhere a list of the most nominated titles in the last few years? I'm trying to learn the backstory of previous Hugo nominees and winners. Thanks!

message 7: by Gail (new)

Gail | 16 comments

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth | 5 comments Did everyone see the list of actual nominees?

http://www.locusmag.com/News/2011/04/...

Cryoburn, Lois McMaster Bujold (Baen)
Feed, Mira Grant (Orbit)
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, N.K. Jemisin (Orbit)
The Dervish House, Ian McDonald (Pyr; Gollancz)
Blackout/All Clear, Connie Willis (Spectra)

message 9: by Gail (new)

Gail | 16 comments Yes. I am very underwhelmed by this list.

message 10: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 67 comments Definitely underwhelmed by the selections.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Just a heads up... the Kindle version of Ian McDonald's The Dervish House is on Amazon for only $1.99.

I don't see myself reading Blackout/All Clear. It is too books really totaling about 1200 pages, and they're sold separately on the Kindle store. I'd be paying $25 for it. Fuck that.

message 12: by Kristin (last edited Jun 13, 2011 04:57AM) (new)

Kristin | 67 comments Cool for Kindle-peeps. Bummer for us Nook owners. Still $9.95 at B&N.

I got Blackout/All Clear from the Library...however, they are sitting on my shelf, one on the second renewal, as I eye them with great distaste and nary a cover cracked. And I like Willis's books!

Finished Cryoburn and halfway through Feed.

message 13: by April (new)

April Reeve | 1 comments I read or listened to all the nominees for novel for 2011. The only one of the books that I had attempted to read previously was Blackout and I had stopped because I thought the time traveling historians were too stupid to be tolerated. For the sake of being fair I completed Blackout but still think the characters are just too stupid to live.

I listened to Blackout, Cryoburn, Feed, and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms on audiobook (from audible.com). Cryoburn was pretty good but Feed was, very surprisingly, the most fun and enjoyable of the bunch. I'm not a big fan of the medieval life with gods and magic of The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

The Dervish House was only available in book form and it was the best novel of the nominees. It's more historical fiction than science fiction, with rich details of Turkish culture and very well developed characters.

So, to me "The Dervish House" was the best but sometimes the easier or more fun books have an advantage over the more literary accomplishments (see "The Graveyard Book" versus "Anathem"). The most fun of the lot was "Feed".