SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Book-of-the-Month > [Feb 2011] "Right Hand Magic" Discussion **Spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29272 comments This is the discussion thread for Feb's BOM: Right Hand Magic by Nancy A. Collins.

Spoilers Welcome Here
If you are would like to discuss the book SPOILER-FREE, please go here.
Please include in your discussion:
* Did you like the main character? (If not, why?)
* Would you recommend the book to others?
* Do you plan on reading the rest of the series?

message 2: by Kristen (last edited Feb 11, 2011 11:14AM) (new)

Kristen  (yogamamareads) | 422 comments Did you like the main character? (If not, why?)
She's ok. I think the book is silly, but I don't think it's intended to be a satire on paranormal fiction. Once the were-bastet said that he soiled himself when challenged (page 88), I abandoned it. There are too many good books to continue reading about a "bed-wetting" were-creature, especially if I'm supposed to care about him - because I get the feeling that the eventual plot of the book is to catch the Boss. I'm not sure why Tate is trusted so quickly by the creatures of Golgotham, other than she paid her rent three months early. I'm tired of her whining about being rich and the cliche "my rich parents don't like my alternative lifestyle" issue that she has.
Would you recommend the book to others?
Absolutely not.
Do you plan on reading the rest of the series?
Sorry, no.

message 3: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 2098 comments Uh oh, I haven't started this yet (too many challenge books I'm desperately trying to finish), but from your comments maybe that's a good thing.

message 4: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29272 comments Yikes! I avoided this page earlier when Kristen posted, worried I'd get spoiled. But, after reading Daffodil's comment, I had to look up and EEK! No, huh? :\ Well, dang. Sorry you didn't like it, Kristen.

I'm sure I'll eventually get to it, try to read all our BOMs.

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 1241 comments Good to know. I had originally been intrigued by the blurb, but once I saw some advance reviews, I hesitated. It's one of the reasons I passed on joining this month's BOM

message 6: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29272 comments Kinda sad, considering we've had great luck on all our BOM book winners so far.

message 7: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 2098 comments Makes me glad I borrowed it from the library instead of buying it. Funny how things work out, usually the library doesn't have the BOM available (either nobody in the system owns yet or there is a long waiting list) and I have to buy the book. Hey, it's probably a donation from someone who hated it. LOL.

Due date is coming up, so I'll probably start it soon.

message 8: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29272 comments LOL! "it's probably a donation from someone who hated it. LOL."

Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

message 9: by CyberAlmu (last edited Feb 22, 2011 03:18PM) (new)

CyberAlmu | 302 comments I share kristen's opinion.

I didn't like Tate, the main character. She is as flat as the rest of the secondary characters; you don't get to know them. There is no psychological indepth description either, except to tell us that Tate think Hexe is hot.

I would also remark, as Kristen said, that every other creature in Golgotham is absurdly trusting a human. Maybe I didn't quite understand it but, for what was explained, I thought Golgotham was more like a ghetto for the supernatural, who were excluded from human society. There has even been a war between humans and magic creatures. Eventhough some time has passed since that war, I can't get to understand why there's no sign of an expected resentment between species.

I wouldn't recommend this book, or read the next books on the series, sorry

message 10: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29272 comments Oi! Not lookin' good. Majority gives THUMBS DOWN. Rats! Well, here's lookin' to Mar's BOM, which I know more people have/do like. :D

message 11: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 2098 comments I intensely dislike Tate and I've hardly even started the book. Let me count the reasons why.

1. She's "independent" from her parents, wanting to sell her art. She's made disparaging comments about growing up stinking rich, expected to marry a stinking rich man and have stinking rich children. BUT, she's still living on her trust fund 'til she gets started.

2. She wants to move into Golgotham because it's "so real". As opposed to the rest of New York which is apparently filled with what? She's an artist, isn't she supposed to be able to look beneath the surface and see life, beauty, etc?

3. I actually believed Tate when she thought she had to restrain herself from patting the Centaur on the rump and saying "good horsey". Out of almost any other UF main character, this comment would have been delivered with a sarcastic edge and been funny. It came out all too real sounding in this scene.

I could go on, but why bother. Tate comes across as a gawking tourist in Golgotham. You know the kind I mean, the really annoying ones who talk down to the natives. Collins may have wanted to use Tate's explorations in order to introduce us to a fantastic world, but she should have gone about it in a different way. So far Tate could be called naive and tactless at best.

message 12: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 2098 comments I was desperately trying to avoid starting a book on my March challenges and I hadn't returned this to the library so it was handy, so I forced myself to finish this over the weekend. I still dislike Tate and none of the other characters really stand-out for me. They don't really make up for the rest of the book, but there was a moment of brilliance. I loved the sculpture army and would have paid money to see their march on Boss M's lair.

message 13: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29272 comments Thanks for coming back w/a final update, Daffodil. I still haven't gotten to this one. Seems something else always catches my eye first (well, that and the thumbs-down reviews). :)