Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

Chit Chat > QOTW - Jan. 17 - 23, 2011

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) January in National Hobby Month. Besides reading, what other hobbies do you have? Do they compete for your time with reading? Or does reading take precedence?

message 2: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Besides reading???? What you talkin about??? lol

Reading always takes precedence for me.

However, I like to cook, kind of a movie buff, and toy with yoga a little bit.

Good question Jennifer.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) I do needle crafts - knitting, crochet, sewing and needlepoint/cross stitch.

Right now, knitting is taking precedence. I'm trying to finish a sweater for my 9-month old niece that I was planning on giving her for Christmas, but I was so sick right before the holidays (and during) that I didn't finish it on time. Now, it's a race - get it done before it's too hot in California for her to wear it this season! lol

I'd have to say that reading and knitting are constantly competing for my time.

message 4: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I used to do cross-stitch and kind of miss it. Now I play the piano (I use that term play very loosely) and watch movies. With the impending basset adoption, I will be back to walking more.

message 5: by Mary (last edited Jan 18, 2011 07:44AM) (new)

Mary | 236 comments I've done various craft projects over the years -- obsessively made a bunch for gifts and then gone to something else -- but haven't done that for quite a while. Now I love walking when the weather allows, and I like doing Sudoku and crossword puzzles. And, then, of course there's the computer ... ;-) Reading is by far my favorite activity and definitely does take precedence.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) I haven't thought of hobbies for a long time. I enjoy cooking and learning more about my Italian heritage. Also, I do like bird watching at my bird feeders.

message 7: by Dannielle (new)

Dannielle Insalaco | 51 comments Mary-I do a crossword puzzle every day. But reading is my still all encompassing!

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments "They" say doing these various puzzles helps ward off Alzheimer's, so it's sure worth a try -- besides it's fun! (I loved Lisa Genova's Alice but not enough to emulate her!)

message 9: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda_d) Hmmm, hobby? Well I love to keep active so I go to the gym, do a bit of running, skiing in the winter - but those aren't really hobbies! I do love to cook which is a little more hobbie-ish!

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz Well, reading seems to take up a great deal of my time, but I also do cross-stitch & belong to a Stitching Guild. Of course, there's also the time I spend on the silly computer. LOL!

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) I think I remember reading that when someone posed that question about her hobby to Erma Bombeck, she told them dust!

I remember enjoying her outlook on life.

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie | 59 comments No hobbies that I stick with and return to religiously. I dabble in quilting, I've got a "henscratch" quilt started which requires embroidery in addition to quilting. I lost momentum quickly on that. I'll be lucky if it's big enough for a table runner!

I spend too much time on the computer and I play Scrabble every chance I get but reading is my true love!

message 13: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I cross stitch a little, but haven't done it in years.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a working artist and make my living through my artwork. I'm a jewelry designer as well. I also love to cook, have a lot of pets, and gardening is a major hobby as I love to provide my family with fresh foods :)

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara (rstjm4) | 70 comments I love to read, but I also ride horses, walk and quilt. I would say in the winter the only thing that keeps me from reading is quilting.