The Painful Truth discussion

What is an "animal"?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 364 (364 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

People use the term animal to signify any living thing except plants and humans...

I do this too ((Force of habit...)) but in reality, we are animals too and I honestly don't see what makes us generaly smarter than them...there are birds as smart as people....there are people as dumb as birds...it's not the species that matters, it's their general intelligence.

Also, animal is also used as a term of abuse "You animal!" But what are you actually saying? It's like calling someone gay or retarted...in reality it's not a bad thing...

message 2: by The, Happy in love <3 (new)

The Pyromaniac00 (pyromaniac00) | 506 comments Mod
So true. But if we thought of ourselves as the same as rats and other creatures then we find we may devolve into more of a barbaric nature. Some animals eat their young. If we didn't think of ourselves as higher than them...You get what I'm saying.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Some people eat their young...i'm not saying we should all become cannibles i'm saying most people think they are higher than animals and they think animals are theirs to torture and destroy...

message 4: by Lyla (new)

Lyla Neko (scourgelyla) | 654 comments Yes, but many people abuse there young. They abuse there family, there friends, strangers as well as animals. What difference does it make?
Dolphins are the smartest creatures on the planet. They are able to recognise themselves in the mirror, etc. The only thing that is stoping them, is the lack of aposable thumbs. Same with every other species. We are 'superior' because we have working thumbs. Were would dogs be now if they could hold things with there paws and stand, huh?

message 5: by The, Happy in love <3 (new)

Well I could have lived without knowing the cannibal thing. But we should not abuse animals. They are living beings with feelings. If they were like tofu, in general blah gray nothingness, then people wouldn't do it so much. I'm sure most of them do it just to watch them suffer, which is as wrong as it gets.

message 6: by SpazzyJazzy (last edited Jan 17, 2011 05:10PM) (new)

SpazzyJazzy Some people are merely sadistic that way. They won't punch a wall, because will a wall give you a reaction? No. And it'll probably hurt you more than the wall. These people probably know that they have feelings, which is why they do it. It is not a matter of ignorance. They KNOW these animals hurt. The only real ignorance on their part is that they don't know how rewarding it is simply to just have a cat sit on one's lap, or a dog rest it's head on their knees- rather than kick the hell out of it.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

=(

message 8: by The, Happy in love <3 (new)

I agree. I have too cats. Always here and happy because they always get what they want (it's kinda sad actually. The cats have it better than I do) and Whenever their around everyone is happy. I couldn't imagine anyone taking joy from beating any animal except in self defense (like a bear attack or something). It's bulls***!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Agreed...i have many animals and i couldn't think of any of them going through that...

message 10: by Lyla (new)

Lyla Neko (scourgelyla) | 654 comments hehe, it's fun to tease my cat. We play wrestle! :)

message 11: by SpazzyJazzy (new)

SpazzyJazzy Indeed. My parents are divorced, and my dad's girlfriend had two cats and my dad one. My mum used to have a cat but she got run away late last year. Anyway, my point is, that I love these three remaining cats to bits. They even have their own personalities, which is a show of just how unique they are. Even my old dog was a big softy despite his size.

message 12: by Lyla (new)

Lyla Neko (scourgelyla) | 654 comments They truly do have their own personalities! You could take two cats that look EXACTLY the same and put them into two rooms with the same toys/furniture, moniter with a camera and you will find the HUNDREDS of differences in them!

message 13: by The, Happy in love <3 (new)

My cats are like polar opposites. One is fat attention loving lazy cutie. The others a playful, spunky, somewhat crazy active skinny cat. And their the best cats in the world :)

message 14: by Lyla (new)

Lyla Neko (scourgelyla) | 654 comments My cat's name is Lyla(where have you heard that name b4?)! She is an absolute, non-stop, crazy active she-cat! She LOVES to run, bat the bell-balls around and chase ANYTHING that moves!

message 15: by SpazzyJazzy (last edited Jan 17, 2011 05:28PM) (new)

SpazzyJazzy Don't even get me started on my cats.
One is the only female, and she acts like a little princess and si the most affectionate of them all.
Another thinks he's human and tends to rub his face against others whilst drooling >.< And he eats meat by picking it up with his paw and eating it off it.
Another is pretty affectionate, but if he seems overly 'smoochy' as some call it and his tail is twitching you know it's only a matter of time before he bites you. And he has a tendency to peek up over the bed to check if you're there before snuggling up to you *Facepalm*

message 16: by The, Happy in love <3 (new)

Lol, wow. But my cats are still better. Lol, that's my opinion and it's not changing anytime soon!

message 17: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 922 comments Mod
Awww about everybody's pets ^-^

I consider every non-plantish living thing an animal - including humans. *shrug*

message 18: by The, Happy in love <3 (new)

So you would play fetch with a human? Lol, I'm joking. Actually you're like everyone else except with the human part.

message 19: by SpazzyJazzy (new)

SpazzyJazzy I call humans animals. I mean, we're pretty much the same, apart from a few... um... habit/tendency differences :P

message 20: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

Andy wrote: "So you would play fetch with a human? Lol, I'm joking. Actually you're like everyone else except with the human part."

lol that's called Catch ^-^
And yeah :P

Jasmine wrote: "I call humans animals. I mean, we're pretty much the same, apart from a few... um... habit/tendency differences :P"

Basically. :)

message 21: by Lyla (new)

Lyla Neko (scourgelyla) | 654 comments I try to treat animals as human as much as possible. They should not be lower 'rank' just because we 'humans' decided so. More times than most animals are more civilized then people! o.-

message 22: by Madhins (new)

Madhins  I hate it when people say "Oh, we're not animals!" - Oi.

Also, something I absolutley hate... is that some kids in my schools are convinced trees aren't plants. (Why?)

message 23: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

...What? That's so random x]

message 24: by SpazzyJazzy (new)

SpazzyJazzy XD I think I had a disagreement over something like that once. I can't remember what it was, though. It must've been when I was seven or something.

message 25: by rachel (new)

rachel have you guys ever heard of a puppy mill? they kill dogs for fun. Ives seen pics of it. They have piles after piles of dead dogs DX

message 26: by The, Happy in love <3 (last edited Jan 18, 2011 11:55AM) (new)

They don't kill for fun. They breed puppies and then neglect the ones who don't sell. That indirectly leads to the deaths of the dogs. Or at least thats how the mill owners view it. Sick bastards.

message 27: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

Those are evil: never buy animals from those. Ever.

message 28: by The, Happy in love <3 (new)

Go to the animal shelter. They have cute cute cats there. Like mine :)

message 29: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

Exactly ^-^ What type of cat do you have?

message 30: by The, Happy in love <3 (new)

A fat orange one. Lol, idk what the breed is. The skinny gray one we rescued from an abusive home. The neighbors weren't all that good to their cats. I wish we could have 3 cats in our apartment. They only let us have 2.

message 31: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

Awwww!!! I LOVE PILLOW-CATS!!! *cuddles*
Abd that's too bad about the gray and the limit on pets :'(

message 32: by The, Happy in love <3 (new)

Yeah. The other one was cuter, but since the gray one was more social my parents chose her. But they did seem to be nicer to the littler one, so it may have been the right choice after all. Idk. They moved after the fire..

snake! Can't somebody love me v.v, | 81 comments im an animal!!!!!!!!! jk :) XD

message 34: by Nyghtmare (new)

Nyghtmare Animal:

A cruel, SICK, bastard who has no love of animals. They tourcher them for Fun. And ruin lives of them.

snake! Can't somebody love me v.v, | 81 comments then im the exact oppisite

message 36: by Nyghtmare (new)

Nyghtmare I would hope so...

message 37: by The, Happy in love <3 (new)

Yeah..No one in this group should be that type of animal. If they were prepare the mob. :) lol

message 38: by Emily (new)

Emily (lafillebrigitte) you say people classify animal as living non-plants and non-humans, what about bacteria? sorry, i just had to point it out. im a biology nerd.

message 39: by The, Happy in love <3 (new)

....No one cares about bacteria. Most people care about animals. Nearly everyone cares about humans. Alot of people care about plants of all kinds. Bacteria. Doesn't. Count! Lol

Lexphie (The Animal Lover) | 855 comments Mod
I have pet bacteria I look at them with my microscope them I put them back in the frogs tank

message 41: by The, Happy in love <3 (new)

...But then you ARE the weirdo of the group, so of course you would :P Lol, how bout this: animals have feelings. Plants grow very large over their life. Both animals and plants drink liquids. Bacteria doesn't.

I know, I'm a proud weirdo :) I know they don't have feelings but they r cute lol

message 43: by Laika (new)

Laika We are animals, and just as equal to the other animals.

message 45: by The, Happy in love <3 (new)

Lexphie wrote: "I know, I'm a proud weirdo :) I know they don't have feelings but they r cute lol"

....Shapless emotionless blobs are cute? You are an overly-proud weirdo :P

Shadowcat, you are correct. Also that's what everyone else so it's obvious it's the right concept :)

That's me alright lol
Look it's bacteria
* idk I'm hyper right now

message 47: by Carson (new)

Carson Animals is just a word for all things living not including plants.

Yeah

message 49: by Lyla (new)

Lyla Neko (scourgelyla) | 654 comments Cartle wrote: "Animals is just a word for all things living not including plants."

*sarcasm* I guess humans arent included... -.-

Haha

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8