Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > Erin Rachael's 50 Books in 2011!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 17, 2011 10:53AM) (new)

I've never done a challenge like this before so I'm not sure how it will go, but I wanted to start keeping track of the books I read and those I want to read so I figured this was a good way to do that. I don't know if I'll actually be able to read 50 books in a year, but I'm going to do my best to get as close as I can. So, here goes...

1) "Queen Hereafter" by Susan Fraser King (2010)

Queen Hereafter A Novel of Margaret of Scotland by Susan Fraser King

I've wanted to read this book for a while, mainly because I've recently discovered how much I love everything about Scotland, including it's history. The figure of Queen Margaret is an interesting one - a "fairy tale" story as King puts it, and she is not wrong. A refugee Saxon princess, shipwrecked on the Scottish coast, in order to protect herself and her family she married the savage Scottish king, Malcolm Canmore, setting aside her desires to join a nunnery. She immediately began to "civilize" Scotland and bring real prestige to the Scottish crown by doing everything she could to raise the standards of the royal court and bring it closer to the royal courts of other European nations. For all her piety and charitable works Margaret was eventually canonized and made a Saint. King brings Margaret to life through the eyes of Eva, a princess in her own right, but hostage and bard in Malcolm's court. Caught between her loyalty to her grandmother, the deposed Queen Gruadh, and her growing love and respect for Queen Margaret, Eva must decide where her loyalties lie and what is best not only for her but for Scotland. Switching between the viewpoints of both Eva and Margaret, King writes a strong narrative that leaves readers wanting more. A solid second novel that any fan of historical fiction could enjoy.

My Rating: 3/5

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

2) "A Song for Arbonne" by Guy Gavriel Kay (1992)

A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay

The only thing that I didn't like about A Song for Arbonne is that it stands alone, without a prequel or sequel to follow it. This is a book that I couldn't put down and truly didn't want to end. The storyline itself is not necessarily an original one, following the conflict between two very different nations: women-ruled Arbonne, and male-dominated Gorhaut. What really makes this book stand out among others like it are the characters, from the obvious heroes and villains, to the ones caught in between. Though often classified as a fantasy novel, there are very few actual fantasy elements. The story isn't one of magic but one of the people involved, and the people are what make this novel one that you won't easily forget.

My Rating: 5/5!