Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

RRR Discussions & Top-Lists > LC: Scene-stealing Furry Characters

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I'm looking to create a list of pets/animals that were part of a story. They may be pivotal to the plot, or just simply window dressing.

If you come across some favorites, please let me know. Tell me from which book/series, type of animal plus name if any.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jan 16, 2011 04:25PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Galahad - cat - from J.D. Robb's In Death Series

Fred - dog - from Jennifer Crusie's Anyone But You

Folly - cat - from Linnea Sinclair's Hope's Folly

message 3: by colleen (last edited Jan 16, 2011 04:43PM) (new)

colleen (colleenfl) | 458 comments Rex the hamster in Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jan 17, 2011 03:24AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21009 comments All the dust bunnies in Jayne Castle's Harmony series. Off the top of my head there was Fuzz, Elvis, Max, Araminta, Rose, Vincent, Gibson... (OK - only the first 3 were off the top of my head - I checked the GR reviews for the balance.)

There could be more but I only checked to Midnight Crystal...

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Pooh - the dog in It Had to Be You (especially the funeral scene)

message 6: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jan 17, 2011 03:31AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21009 comments Lufra - Baluchistan hound (dog) - from Georgette Heyer's Frederica

message 7: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "All the dust bunnies in Jayne Castle's Harmony series. Off the top of my head there was Fuzz, Elvis, Max, Araminta, Rose, Vincent, Gibson... (OK - only the first 3 were off the top of my head - I ..."

OMG, yes! Love the dust bunnies! I think Elvis is my favorite, but Gibson from Midnight Crystal is certainly up there. I like the way that the dust bunnies are important to the plots.

message 8: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments @ Jane

I love the dust bunnies in the Harmony series. I want one of my own. : )

message 9: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Boo (cat) and George (dog) from JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series

message 10: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "Pooh - the dog in It Had to Be You (especially the funeral scene)"

That scene is pretty hilarious. : )

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments there is a cat in the Georgina Kincaide series, but i'm totally blanking on the name...ironically, someone started a list similar to this over in the m/m group, so i can pull from there if anyone likes that sort of stuff

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1245 comments There is Angus the cat in the Georgia Nichols series by Louise Rennison. I adore these books and the crazy things this cat does so much that we named our newest cat Angus.

message 13: by Ceej (new)

Ceej (drqangel) | 1015 comments Dog from Covet and Crave. He doesn't steal any scenes he's definitely a part of Team Jim

message 14: by Ceej (new)

Ceej (drqangel) | 1015 comments Let's not forget Madea. Mercy Thompson's cat

message 15: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Drq wrote: "Dog from Covet and Crave. He doesn't steal any scenes he's definitely a part of Team Jim"

I like Dog.

message 16: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments In Nora Robert's Vision in White, if I remember correctly, Carter has a three-legged cat. Can anybody remember what's its name?

message 17: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) Yz the Whyz wrote: "In Nora Robert's Vision in White, if I remember correctly, Carter has a three-legged cat. Can anybody remember what's its name?"

Triad.

message 18: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments @ Kristi

Thanks. I know it has something to do with the number three. :)

message 19: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Buttercup - cat - Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy

message 20: by Ceej (new)

Ceej (drqangel) | 1015 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "Buttercup - cat - Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy"

What was the goat's name?

message 21: by Sandy (last edited Jan 17, 2011 01:21PM) (new)

Sandy | 205 comments Kasey - the monkey in Kasey to the Rescue: The Remarkable Story of a Monkey and a Miracle

Moishe - cat from Joanne Fluke's Hanah Swenson
Koko and Yum Yum from Lilian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who series

Dogs Towser and Lugs and cat Sonsie from M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth series

Whisky - an Irish Wolfhound from Murder Off the Books and Murder Takes the Cake by Evelyn David

An assortment of animals including sheep, a goat, a deer, and a dog who wreak havock in Donna Ball's Ladybug Farm series

message 22: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Drq wrote: "Yz the Whyz wrote: "Buttercup - cat - Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy"

What was the goat's name?"

Hmm....not sure... Lady?

message 23: by Ceej (new)

Ceej (drqangel) | 1015 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: Hmm....not sure... Lady?"

Yeah Lady the goat

message 24: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jan 18, 2011 09:36PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21009 comments @ Yz and Sandra - yeah! I loved the dust bunnies as well. I think Rose was my favourite (she has a jewellry fetish as I recall), although the glutton (Max, I think - the heroine was a reporter...) was pretty funny as well!

Also:-
Lucky - the lizard in Shield's Lady by JAK/Amanda Glass (whichever name she picked at the time!)

Freika - Baran's sidekick talking timberwolf in Jane's Warlord by Angela Knight who just wanted to eat Jane's cat
Octopussy - Jane's cat in Jane's Warlord

Suleiman - horse in Devil's Bride by Stephanie Laurens. (He ate all the party cakes...Hehehe)
There is also Patience's cat in A Rake's Vow but I can't remember it's name.

The hideously ugly bulldog with eczema in Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor by Lisa Kleypas. Such a nice addition but can't remember his name...

Bouncer - Nicky's dog in The Reluctant Widow by Georgette Heyer. He keeps guard a little too well at times!

message 25: by Julianna (last edited Jan 17, 2011 07:00PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1759 comments All the big cat companions from the The Chronicles of Kassouk by Vijaya Schartz (btw, good sci-fi romances for anyone still needing one for the Romance 101 Challenge).
White Tiger (The Chronicles of Kassouk, #1) by Vijaya Schartz Red Leopard (The Chronicles of Kassouk, #2) by Vijaya Schartz Black Jaguar (The Chronicles of Kassouk, #3) by Vijaya Schartz

Ryan's menagerie of abused animals from Fallen from Grace by Laura Leone

Jack's menagerie of animals from My Lord Jack by Hope Tarr

Boadicea (I think I spelled it right:-)) the cat - Beauty Like the Night by Liz Carlyle

Lucifer the dog - No True Gentleman by Liz Carlyle

I can't remember their names, but the bull and cat from Phantom Waltz by Catherine Anderson were a hoot.

Sonora Sunset the horse - Sweet Nothings by Catherine Anderson

Buddy the "talking" dog - Summer Breeze by Catherine Anderson

Precious the prairie dog - Texas Glory by Lorraine Heath

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Hubert - Callie's pet bull in Lessons in French

Poppy - puppy in 'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy

message 27: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Foolish - dog from Nora Robert's Chesapeake Bay saga.

message 28: by Ceej (new)

Ceej (drqangel) | 1015 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "@ Yz and Sandra - yeah! I loved the dust bunnies as well. I think Rose was my favourite (she has a jewellry fetish as I recall), although the glutton (Max, I think - the heroine was a reporter......"

Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor Renfeld

message 29: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21009 comments Drq wrote: Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor Renfeld ..."

YES! He was such a sweetie! Thanks Drq.

message 30: by Ceej (new)

Ceej (drqangel) | 1015 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Drq wrote: Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor Renfeld ..."

YES! He was such a sweetie! Thanks Drq."

No problem. When I read the book, I thought that was a lot of name for a dog with so many problems.

message 31: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21009 comments @Drq: Too true! (I have the audiobook, and names just don't stick the way they do when you read them...)

message 32: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 170 comments The Search Nora Roberts
dogs: Bogart, Newman, Peck, Jaws

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments what was the name of the ferret in the hathaway books...ah ha, Dodger and his garter fetish ;)

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 670 comments Giguhl? the demon cat in the Sabina Kane series by Jaye Wells.

Runt the puppy in Death's Daughter by Amber Benson (She is so cute!)

Pirate, the talking Jack Russell in The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox.

Colleen already mentioned Rex the Hamster, there is also Bob the dog in Stephanie Plum.

And I also like Galahad in the In Death series.

message 36: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 670 comments Wren has a pet Monkey in the Dark Hunter books but I can't remember his name... I hate that! :)

message 37: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments How about Severance's pet rockrug, Fred, in JAK's Sweet Starfire?

message 38: by Ceej (new)

Ceej (drqangel) | 1015 comments spock in Tribute

message 39: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 1058 comments Are you wanting pets that are a little something more also? Who could forget Jim, the demon in dog's clothing, from Katie MacAlister's Aisling Grey, Guardian series.

Robin Owen's Celta series features fams, animals who can talk mentally with whoever they deign acceptable.
A few are Zanth (cat), Pansy (cat), Samba(cat), Shunuk (fox), Drina (cat) and many more.

message 40: by colleen (new)

colleen (colleenfl) | 458 comments In A Question of Upbringing: Book 1 of A Dance to the Music of Time there are two dogs: Charley and Bum. Bum is a white wire-haired terrier.

message 41: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21009 comments Sandra J wrote: "How about Severance's pet rockrug, Fred, in JAK's Sweet Starfire?"

Oh yeah! That pet was so funny!

message 42: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1454 comments Hairy, the Chinese Crested dog from Take a Chance on Me was awesome and had a great talent.

Bob, the dog, is pretty interesting in The Rocky Road to Romance. In fact, he causes his owner to have to buy a new car and house.

Chelsea, the yorkie, in Once in a Lifetime is awesome.

There is a cute pug in the Jane Kelly series, starting with Candy Apple Red

message 43: by FionaBluesBookCafe (last edited Jan 18, 2011 10:29PM) (new)

FionaBluesBookCafe | 79 comments don't know if they have been mentioned yet...
Boo(cat) and George(dog)... BDB

Hedwig (owl)...Harry Potter

Queenie (dog, Jack Russel) and Rosie (elephant)...Water for Elephants

message 44: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 670 comments Beans from Motor Mouth by Janet Evanovich

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 1102 comments Koko & Yum Yum (Cats)....The Cat Who by Lilian Jackson Braun

Mrs Murphy (cat), Pewter (cat), Tucker (Welsh Corgi dog)..from the Rita Mae Brown books

message 46: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments Then there are Lucy Savage's dogs in Getting Rid Of Bradley-Einstein, Heisenberg (who has taught himself a dog joke), Maxwell, and later on Pete. There's Phoebe, the neurotic and vicious cat next door, too.
Shirley Rousseau Murphy has a mystery series featuring a pair of cat sleuths-Joe Grey and Dulcie. The cats can talk and read and use their abilities to solve mysteries in Molena Point.

message 47: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21009 comments Jacko, the monkey, and Tina, the italian greyhound, in The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer.

message 48: by Macwolf01 [Elise] (last edited Jan 27, 2011 05:36PM) (new)

Macwolf01 [Elise] (macwolf01) | 1012 comments Church the cat in Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instrument series ... he's around but there is something there that I think might show up in the next 3 books!

Dumfries from Saving Grace by Julie Garwood by Julie Garwood, he is an integral part of the story. Julie Garwood's HR often have animals that play a small role in the story, often horses Gilly, Wildfire ...

message 49: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1454 comments Not exactly a romance book (although there is romance in it), but Kiki the horse from Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder is awesome.

message 50: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Not exactly a romance book (although there is romance in it), but Kiki the horse from Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder is awesome."

I love Kiki, too. : )

« previous 1