fiction files redux discussion

One Star Reviews of Classic novels

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neil (new)

Neil McCrea | 204 comments Charles Stross posted this collection of one star Amazon reviews in his blog. It made me laugh and cry simultaneously like some tedious Jim Carrey character.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-...

message 2: by Ry (new)

Ry (downeyr) | 173 comments Haha this is a great thread, Neil. My friends and I routinely play a game where we go on Amazon.com, find and post the stupidest one-star review of our favorite book that we can find and either laugh, cry, or get really angry about it. Good times, all in all.

message 3: by Neil (new)

Neil McCrea | 204 comments Amazon could easily publish a collection of these horrors, and I would probably lap it up.

message 4: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

Jonathan | 609 comments Mod
what about that one where the guy turns into a cockroach? that book was D-U-M dum! there's no way you could just turn into a cockroach unless you're like a superhero. but that guy was a total loser, he could never turn into a cockroach. . . the worst tho is that 1984 book . . . why would you write a book about the future that took place like 25 years ago? dum! . . . and i haven't read that one dog soldiers, but it sounds dum too . . .a dog could never be a soldier, not even a really smart dog . . .

message 5: by Neil (new)

Neil McCrea | 204 comments HA! There is a link at the beginning of the blog that connects to more reviews that Mr. Stross has picked from Amazon, and the 1984 review is awfully close to your parody Jonathan.

message 6: by Matt, e-monk (new)

Matt Comito | 386 comments Mod
I wondered if there are any one star reviews of the Atrocity Archives and there was one:

1.0 out of 5 stars Office Space + Lovecraft = FAIL, June 27, 2010
By DragonRock LTD "DragonRock LTD" (Richardson, TX United States) - See all my reviewsThis review is from: The Atrocity Archives (Paperback)
It claims to be James Bond meets Lovecraft and is, kinda ... but the everyman office worker main lead is just so dull I couldn't finish. The mundane office politics overwhelm the occult and the incessant expository dialog is a slog. Just call it a gun, don't give us all the statistics. Most of the part I read was either mundane office stuff (which I get plenty of at work) or people talking at length ABOUT summoning technology with plenty of long words that are meaningless. There was very little action and what little there was was over way too quick (like 10 pages of talking, 1 page of getting attacked by tentacles, then another 10 pages of talking about said tentacles). There are also too many in-jokes. Lots of "nudge, nudge, did ya get that name I just dropped?" That's fun occasionally but every other paragraph it gets old fast. Normally I'm a trooper and will finish anything I start but this one I just can't.

message 7: by Keith (new)

Keith Dixon (keithwdixon) | 44 comments that's some funny sh*t...though i would say i would DEFINITELY give a one-star review to anything written by henry james!..."this book, which is to say, the text on the desk before me, is, when laid against other such tomes that reside in my library, next door, beside this room, not altogether warranted for the cost of printing and purchasing, indeed, even the relative time, time being short, that one such as myself may feel inclined to suggest that the book instead be used as a doorstop, the wind drafting well under the door gap..." etc etc.

message 8: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Shel (shelbybower) | 946 comments Mod
Jonathan wrote: "what about that one where the guy turns into a cockroach? that book was D-U-M dum! there's no way you could just turn into a cockroach unless you're like a superhero. but that guy was a total loser..."

Clearly, Jonathan is an authority on Amazon reviews. :)

message 9: by Neil (new)

Neil McCrea | 204 comments @ Matt

I don't think Mr. Stross makes any secret of the fact that he uses these to make him feel better about the one starred reviews his own books have gotten.

message 10: by Matt, e-monk (new)

Matt Comito | 386 comments Mod
Neil wrote: "@ Matt

I don't think Mr. Stross makes any secret of the fact that he uses these to make him feel better about the one starred reviews his own books have gotten."

for what it's worth that was the only one for that title