Between the Wars discussion

Group Reads > Cold Comfort Farm- General Discussion

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (muskoka) | 526 comments Mod
Please post comments without plot spoilers here.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I've got this book scheduled for February. Thanks for posting the threads, Gabriele. :)

message 3: by Gabriele (new)

I'm glad you were able to get it, Jeannette! I've already finished and am looking forward to the discussion!

message 4: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks I'm hoping to join in, but it might be a while until I can get to it, reading way too many books again, what else is new.

message 5: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments I know I had it down for february too....
But I will start it next...if I don't itsliable to get lost in a bookbundle....LOL!!!

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan I hope this is the correct thread for the book discussion...if not I'll post in the movie/book thread...Just let me know.

I would have to say that the opening line of "The education bestowed on Flora Poste by her parents had been expensive, athletic and prolonged" is perhaps one of my favorites- right up there with "Under certain circumstances there are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea".

Cold Comfort Farm is one of my favorite rereads. Each time I am struck with the thought of Flora being a sort of reverse Emma in certain areas. Am I totally too austenized?

message 7: by Gabriele (new)

Sbaird wrote: "I hope this is the correct thread for the book discussion...if not I'll post in the movie/book thread...Just let me know.

I would have to say that the opening line of "The education bestowed on Fl..."

This is the perfect place for your comment, Sbaird. Emma was who first came into my mind too. I agree that it's a wonderful opening line, and also the end of that paragraph - that she possessed "every art and grace except that of earning her own living." Doesn't that set the stage for a satire on society!

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan The end of the paragraph if priceless!

When the book first was published it was described as a "wicked parody" of the novels of Mary Webb. This author does not seem to have been published here in the states...has anyone read her? Do they agree?

message 9: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Sbaird wrote: "The end of the paragraph if priceless!

When the book first was published it was described as a "wicked parody" of the novels of Mary Webb. This author does not seem to have been published here in..."

I've never heard of Mary Webb, will have to check her out. But, that first sentence you quoted (I still have not read the novel), also seems to poke quite some fun not only at the British boarding school system, but also at the genre of the "school story" which often placed great emphasis on "athletics" and "games."

message 10: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments Mary Webb wrote PRECIOUS BANE, amongst others......
Strangely enough I have a copy.(as yet unread).

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

That doesn't surprise me, DJ. ;)

message 12: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments Er that I have a copy or that it is unread? I only bought it in Wigtown 3rd September 2010 in The Old Bank Vault....

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

That you have a copy! I know you are a devoted book hunter. :)

message 14: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments LOL.... I cannot deny it. :-)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I had never even heard of this author. When you get to reading it, you should let us know what you think. :)

message 16: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments Your wish is my command....

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

You are so nice.

message 18: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments I try...... I don't always get things right :-)

The good news is that I will be starting COLD COMFORT FARM tomorow...YAY!!!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay! I will start it soon, too.

message 20: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments :-)

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan Gundula wrote: "Sbaird wrote: "The end of the paragraph if priceless!

When the book first was published it was described as a "wicked parody" of the novels of Mary Webb. This author does not seem to have been pu..."

Thank you. I will have to delve into some of that genre. It does not seem to have been embraced here in the states-so I have a steep learning curve.

Also if your edition of Cold Comfort Farm has the intro by Lynne Truss-I recommend it. I love the excerpt of the letter from Virginia Woolf to Elizabeth Bowen lamenting Stella Gibbons winning a literary prize for CCF.

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 17, 2011 05:11PM) (new)

Gutenberg has one of her books, Gone to Earth:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7055

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan Jeannette wrote: "Gutenberg has one of her books, Gone to Earth:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7055"

Thank you. I always forget about Gutenberg.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

You're welcome. I don't think to check until I realize how old the book is. Too bad they don't have Precious Bane.

message 25: by Gabriele (new)

There are so many wonderful lines in this book, and these struck a chord with me. "When I'm fifty-three or so I would like to write a novel as good as 'Persuasion',... For the next thirty years or so I shall be collecting material for it. If any one asks me what I work at I shall say 'collecting material'."

OK, so I'm a writer! : )

message 26: by Linda2 (last edited Jan 19, 2011 08:54PM) (new)

Linda2 Sbaird wrote: "The end of the paragraph if priceless!

When the book first was published it was described as a "wicked parody" of the novels of Mary Webb. This author does not seem to have been published here in..."

I've read a real dead-tree copy of Webb's Precious Bane, which resembles Hardy in style. She's a hidden gem who has come to light recently. I became interested in it when PBS did a production about 15 years ago with the great Janet McTeer.

Here's the text:
http://www3.shropshire-cc.gov.uk/etex...

message 27: by Linda2 (last edited Jan 19, 2011 08:57PM) (new)

Linda2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Webb

My edition is published by Virago Press in the UK.

message 28: by Gabriele (new)

Thanks for the links, Rochelle. I had never heard of Webb either.

message 29: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments Just as a general comment on CCF, I would say to anyone who enjoys this humor that you should watch out for H.E. Bates THE LARKIN CHRONICLES - THE DARLING BUDS OF MAY is the first in this delightful series. Although it is outwith the parametres of this group being set just after the 2nd world War.It is still a treat....
Also I managed to see THE KINGS SPEECH last night and found it wonderfully acebatic and funny. ..... Hope Colin gets the Oscar!!!

message 30: by Gabriele (new)

DJ wrote: "Just as a general comment on CCF, I would say to anyone who enjoys this humor that you should watch out for H.E. Bates THE LARKIN CHRONICLES - THE DARLING BUDS OF MAY is the first in this delightf..."

I saw the Darling Buds of May years ago and found it delightful!

message 31: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments The books are wonderful if you come across them...... Glad you got to see the TV adaptation :-)

message 32: by Gabriele (new)

DJ wrote: "The books are wonderful if you come across them...... Glad you got to see the TV adaptation :-)"

I like H.E. BAtes, so will get around to them some time, I'm sure.

message 33: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments If you do I would love to know what you think..... :-)

message 34: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks I just got my copy, and I'm reading the introduction. It is rather surprising and difficult to comprehend that although Cold Comfort Farm seems to be a very popular novel, loved by many and even made into a film, a radio play and adapted for the theatre, that there is almost no secondary material on either Stella Gibbons or any of her works (none of her other works seem to be in current print, but I would have assumed that there would at least be some material on Cold Comfort Farm, seeing that it is so popular).

message 35: by Gabriele (new)

Gundula wrote: "I just got my copy, and I'm reading the introduction. It is rather surprising and difficult to comprehend that although Cold Comfort Farm seems to be a very popular novel, loved by ma..."

My Penguin edition has a an introduction by Lynne Truss, which was interesting.

message 36: by Susan (new)

Susan Gundula wrote: "I just got my copy, and I'm reading the introduction. It is rather surprising and difficult to comprehend that although Cold Comfort Farm seems to be a very popular novel, loved by ma..."

It is very surprising especially since it seems to be a much loved book. As an example I have several literate friends who can't seem to quote Shakespeare but remember passages to CCF verbatim. Nightingale Wood is still being published in the states so I am planning to read it soon to see if I enjoy it as much as CCF.

message 37: by Susan (new)

Susan Gabriele wrote: "Gundula wrote: "I just got my copy, and I'm reading the introduction. It is rather surprising and difficult to comprehend that although Cold Comfort Farm seems to be a very popular no..."

Did you love the Virginia Woolf excerpt?

message 38: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Gabriele wrote: "Gundula wrote: "I just got my copy, and I'm reading the introduction. It is rather surprising and difficult to comprehend that although Cold Comfort Farm seems to be a very popular no..."

That's the one I have.

message 39: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments My editions foreword is a letter by Stella Gibbons to Anthony Pookworthy....

message 40: by Gabriele (new)

Sbaird wrote: "Gabriele wrote: "Gundula wrote: "I just got my copy, and I'm reading the introduction. It is rather surprising and difficult to comprehend that although Cold Comfort Farm seems to be ..."

Yes, Sbaird! So vicious! Ah, the tight-knit literati that feel a sense of superiority and entitlement.

message 41: by Gabriele (new)

DJ wrote: "My editions foreword is a letter by Stella Gibbons to Anthony Pookworthy...."

Mine has that as well.

message 42: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments Ye!