The Extra Cool Group! (of people Michael is experimenting on) discussion

Off-Topic, but Goodreads-related > What was your highest rated review?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ronyell (last edited Jan 18, 2011 06:04AM) (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 14 comments My highest rated review was on Yours Until Dawn by Teresa Medeiros by 19 votes. Here's my review if you want to check it out:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

What was your highest rated review and what book was it on?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments sometimes it's surprising which review garners votes....a bit mysterious. A very early review of mine on Charlotte Perkins' The Yellow Wallpaper recently got a whole slew of votes. Not sure why, except that I gush about it. I think really gushing reviews, as well as damning ones, may garner more votes because of the passion involved.

message 3: by Desperado (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) My review of When Blood Calls, with 27 votes. Jane, one of the bloggers at Dear Author (which is the best romance blog EVA!) "liked" it, which had me jumping up & down in joy for days.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 16, 2011 11:29AM) (new)

The Sociopath Next Door, perhaps also my most contentious review.

message 5: by Nancy (last edited Jan 16, 2011 12:32PM) (new)

Nancy My review of Ellen Hopkins' Tricks got 29 30 likes.

Thanks, Jessica. :)

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments Your review is entirely convincing, Sho; nonetheless, I see there were folks who didn't want to be convinced.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 16, 2011 04:26PM) (new)

The logic I found most odd was of the "people get comfort from this book" variety, since if the book is not factual, it would seem to be cold solace indeed. I also liked the assertion that I've never met a sociopath, which for one isn't relevant to the question of whether the author overgeneralizes or is inaccurate, and for another, yes, I have, and under circumstances where diagnosis and disposition were the central concern of a large group of allied professionals.

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments yes, I noticed those points. I guess it's the case that--as with some religions--truth is not what is at issue. Faith, or something like that--one's own comfortable beliefs--is.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I can understand that people who've had run-ins with sociopaths or their ilk would like the book, but at best the book misidentifies a lot of people as sociopathic when they simply may be unpleasant, aggressive, snippy, weird, dependent, or otherwise not one's interpersonal cup of tea.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments yeah, well that's a strong label to put on one of the above.

message 11: by Mir (new)

Mir | 51 comments What's the easy way to figure this out?

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Thanks for asking, Miriam. I was about to. I don't see any way to get that info besides going through them one at a time.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments If there is a way, I'd be happy to know as well.

I just took a guess at which one of mine had the most...

message 14: by Mir (new)

Mir | 51 comments Ha! I'm definitely not going through them one by one.

message 15: by Mir (new)

Mir | 51 comments Huh. For me "views" is pale brown and cannot be clicked through.

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 16, 2011 08:33PM) (new)

My review of Hunger Games. Finally passed up my Twilight review a while back. I don't think they are necessarily my best reviews, but they are very popular books, and many people are searching for them.

[Edit: Oh, and #3 is my review of [book:Ulysses|338798]. I'm pretty sure many of the votes are a result of trolling from VirJohn. Man, those were some good times.]

message 17: by Annalisa (last edited Jan 16, 2011 08:42PM) (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Elizabeth wrote: "I don't consider it my best review but it is about a very popular YA book and I didn't like it much."

Popular and YA books tend to get the most votes. My highest is for Breaking Dawn (some definite passionate hatred there), which I had up within days of the release. My second highest is for The Help though and I think it's because my review is so personal. My highest ranking reviews tend to be 1 and 5 star reviews, and YA and bookclub-type books, not necessarily my best reviews

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant My highest is for Let the Right One In, which is a (playful) rant about Sweden.

Second highest is a flippant non-review of New Moon... moral : get them smiling and they might actually click that little vote button.

message 19: by Manny (new)

Manny (mannyrayner) My three highest-scoring reviews are all ironic ones which reference Twilight. I've written more about this disturbing phenomenon here.

message 20: by Paul (last edited Jan 17, 2011 04:19AM) (new)

Paul Bryant Second moral - write anything you like about Twilight & watch those votes roll in. It's a bit creepy. I can't throw stones here, because I did it myself.

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Miriam wrote: "Huh. For me "views" is pale brown and cannot be clicked through."

So is mine, but if I clicked on "Shelf Settings" I got a box where I could check "Votes". Then they appeared & I sorted on them.

Thanks, Elizabeth.

message 22: by Will (new)

Will Byrnes My review of The Passage has gotten way more votes than any other review I have written. All things are relative, of course. I got 29 for that one. That may not be a lot for some, but it stands alone among my reviews, which typically get between 0 and 3. And the likes keep dribbling. Go figure.

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments well Will, we're in competition! My biggest vote getter is at 25 at present. (And yet...once upon a time I was #14 Goodreads Best Reviewer! I enjoyed that while it lasted ~)

message 25: by JJ (last edited Jan 17, 2011 07:55AM) (new)

JJ W. (celtic_songster) | 14 comments Wow, I'm behind on the vote-getting! My review (which is still ongoing, actually) of the Holy Bible ESV Bible has the most votes for me, standing at nine. Probably because everyone loves snark sprinkled in their religion.

message 26: by Mir (new)

Mir | 51 comments Well, according to this sorting mechanism (thanks Elizabeth!) it seems to be the one for To the Lighthouse. But I'm doubtful that is right.

message 27: by Laurie (last edited Jan 17, 2011 02:00PM) (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) Ha, I had no idea until I checked. It's this not-so-nice review for Wolf Tales .

message 28: by Will (new)

Will Byrnes Jessica wrote: "well Will, we're in competition! My biggest vote getter is at 25 at present. (And yet...once upon a time I was #14 Goodreads Best Reviewer! I enjoyed that while it lasted ~)"

Hey, Jessica, I think I can help with that. Shift your nation of origin. :-)

Although I should not care, I suppose, I find it disappointing that I keep putting up reviews (about 100 a year) but keep sinking in the relative review rankings. Ah well.

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments well, the Best Reviewer was for one week; during that week I was ranked 14th in most votes. That was early on in my tenure on goodreads, I'm afraid I've sunk far below the ranking bottom ever since...

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 17, 2011 06:12PM) (new)

Thanks Elizabeth for the info on the shelf sorting :)

As for most voted...pfft, you people and your 20+ votes. My highest is Three, so take that!

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments Ala, post a link to one of your fave reviews and we'll vote for it!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Nah. My previous vote-whoring post aside, I'm really not in it for the votes.

My reviews are just so I can remember something more about why I like/dislike a book down the line. If other people actually 'like' them, that's just icing.

message 33: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I'm not the best reviewer, but I do try! Luckily I'm not in it for the votes, or I'd be sadly disappointed.

That said, my review with the most votes is for The Lions of al-Rassan. Nine votes, go me! But I don't even think that one is very good, so I'm not sure why it got so many votes. My favorite that I've written is my second place review, Mistborn: The Final Empire.

message 34: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 14 comments Jessica wrote: "well, the Best Reviewer was for one week; during that week I was ranked 14th in most votes. That was early on in my tenure on goodreads, I'm afraid I've sunk far below the ranking bottom ever sinc..."

I have also sunked low on the best reviewers lately too, even though I am always reading a new book every week. When my first started writing my reviews on Goodreads, I was sort of high on the list since I think I ranked #20 one time on the best reviewers list, but now I'm down to #31 on the best reviewers list. I guess the more reviews I do, the more likely my number on the best reviewers list will go up.

message 35: by Joyzi (new)

Joyzi (joit) | 20 comments http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

My review for the book Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead (link above) it actually got 80 votes as of this moment and it also has the most number of comments, it got 262 comments.

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments Ronyell wrote: I guess the more reviews I do, the more likely my number on the best reviewers list will go up.

well, there is a difference between best reviewers list (most votes) and top reviewers (most reviews).

That sounds like a strategy for the top reviewers list. That list doesn't interest me as (for me) it's not about how many I write but how good/engaging they are. (that said, I know I put nowhere near the effort in that some reviewers do. or, I do, but only on certain reads).

message 37: by Mir (new)

Mir | 51 comments The reviews that take the most work on my part are usually on academic books that no one else reads. But I really do those for myself in case I need to refer to the book at some later date.

message 38: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) My most liked is The Last Unicorn. That made me happy since my twin did not finish reading it. Now I can tell her some goodreaders agreed with me.

message 39: by Ian (new)

Ian | 11 comments My review of Connie Willis's Doomsday Book got the most votes and comments. I had just finished what would turn out to be the most painful year of my life and bared my soul raw in the review. I'm still not sure that was the right thing to do, but I leave it up because people keep telling me it touches them.

message 40: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments sometimes the very best reviews are those, Ian.

I think we feel grateful to someone who's been so honest, revealing. It's generous.

message 41: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 199 comments It was my review of one day, because I read it while it was still on back order and people were obsessed with it, but not many had read it yet.

message 42: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 14 comments Ceridwen wrote: "My review of Hunger Games. Finally passed up my Twilight review a while back. I don't think they are necessarily my best reviews, but they are very popular books, and ma..."

Yeah, The Hunger Games series are very popular books and I got 10 votes for my review of the Hunger Games.

message 43: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca (scribbleorca) | 123 comments Ian wrote: "My review of Connie Willis's Doomsday Book got the most votes and comments. I had just finished what would turn out to be the most painful year of my life and bared my soul raw in the review. I'm..."

Yes. That was what I liked about your review, Ian.

message 44: by Scribble (last edited Jan 22, 2011 05:01PM) (new)

Scribble Orca (scribbleorca) | 123 comments My The Road garnered most votes, most vitriol, and most comments.

But low by the standards of other reviewers.

My reviews of Hunger Games and Twilight have attracted minimal interest; my one-liner reviews lack a certain je ne sais quoi in the art of garnering readers!

message 45: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 41 comments My highest rated is only 4 likes, my review (actually a series of impressions) of Dhalgren

message 46: by Cass (new)

Cass I got a vote once... very exciting.

message 47: by Joel (new)

Joel (joelevard) i am somewhat mystified as to how two of my reviews managed to collect over 100 votes...

room by emma donoghue (116 likes)

the girl who kicked the hornet's nest by stieg larsson (149 likes)

i mean yeah, they are very popular books, but that also means lots of review competition. i suppose i was lucky to get a good number of votes early on by reading them right after they came out, so everyone who looked later would see my review first.

message 48: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 14 comments Joel wrote: "i am somewhat mystified as to how two of my reviews managed to collect over 100 votes...

room by emma donoghue (116 likes)

the girl who kicked the hornet's nest by stieg larsson (149 likes)

i me..."

Wow!!! 116 votes!!! That's a lot of votes!! I'll have to check out your reviews!

message 49: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant Check out this list of top all time reviews for some mind boggling numbers (mostly for Twilight reviews)

http://www.goodreads.com/books?countr...

message 50: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 14 comments I just checked out the top all time reviews Paul and man, those numbers are huge! I got to read some of these reviews and see why so many people love them so much! :D

« previous 1