Historical Tour de Genre discussion

Challengers > Pamela @ Sweet Soliloquies

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 2 comments I don't usually read a lot of historical fiction so I'm hoping someone can recommend a good book in the historical mystery, thriller, GLBT or fantasy categories. Anyone?

message 2: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) Pamela wrote: "I don't usually read a lot of historical fiction so I'm hoping someone can recommend a good book in the historical mystery, thriller, GLBT or fantasy categories. Anyone?"

I've read a lot of historical fantasy --- it's probably my favorite cross-genre. Here are a couple of my favorite authors and their historical fantasy works (link is for first book in the series:
Stephen R Lawhead: Pendragon Chronicles (King Athur story) Taliesin, Celtic Crusades The Iron Lance , or King Raven series Hood (re-telling of Robin Hood).

Guy Gavriel Kay: Most of his books are stand-alone but they are part of the same fantasy world. The world he created is based on medieval Europe and each book takes place in a different local:
Tigana: Italy
The Lions of al-Rassan: Spain (one of my favorite books)
A Song for Arbonne: France
Sailing to Sarantium: Bzyantium
The Last Light of the Sun: Scandanavia

Naomi Novik: She writes a series set in the Napoleanic time period where dragons are used as part of the military (I just read the first book and really liked it) Temeraire series: His Majesty's Dragon

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Pamela wrote: "I don't usually read a lot of historical fiction so I'm hoping someone can recommend a good book in the historical mystery, thriller, GLBT or fantasy categories. Anyone?"

Historical mystery: Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron (I loved this one.)

LGBT (disclosure: the author is a friend ... who happens to be a brilliant author): Surviving an American Gulag

message 4: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (bitsyblingbooks) | 61 comments Mod
Yep, to-be-read list is growing again! I just read Fingersmith by Sara Waters. A few of her books would work for this sub-genre (in my humble opinion). I'd put it in the GLBT category.

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 2 comments Wow! Thanks for the recommendations, JoLene, Sharon and Charlie! I've been considering reading Guy Gavriel Kay and Sara Waters. I guess now is the time! I'm going to look into your other suggestions as well. Thanks again!