Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Authors > What is your favorite YA Science Fiction Author?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaime (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Jaime | 41 comments Mod
By far my favorite author in this genre is Tamora Pierce. I've read all of her series'. She has a knack for writing relatable female heroes. I can read her books over and over again!

message 2: by J-Lynn Van Pelt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:00PM) (new)

J-Lynn Van Pelt | 27 comments Interesting, I would classify Pierce as fantasy. My favorite Scifi author, young adult or otherwise, is Orson Scott Card. Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow are fantastic books about a group of gifted kids who literally are chosen to save the world. They are companion novels which tell the same story from different character's points of view. The Ender's shadow series continues on to tell incredible stories. I highly reccomend them!

message 3: by Kelly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Kelly | 3 comments Another sci-fi series author is Scott Westerfeld. He wrote a series that starts with Uglies, next is Pretties, and it ends with Specials. It was a great concept of how we judge people's beauty based on imperfections, but if you remove those imperfections then everyone looks the same. So there isn't any unique beauty, and your beauty is decided by the city officials. It was a great quick easy read.

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) I don't usually read that much science fiction, but some of the stuff I read was stupid and some of it was good.I have read Feed by M.T. Anderson (which was very good) and The Giver by Lois Lowry (amazing)
I also liked The Ear the Eye and the Arm, but I'm not really sure who wrote it.

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken Nancy Farmer (The Ear, Eye, and Arm, I mean). Check out her House of the Scorpion for a great novel centered on cloning.

message 6: by Alexandra (last edited Feb 23, 2008 04:24AM) (new)

Alexandra I really enjoyed Scott Westerfelds "Midnight Hour" series.

Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsong trilogy and Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series are other favorites of mine. The first book in the Valdemar series is "Arrows of the Queen". Parents/teachers may want to know that after the first 3 books it's clear that in this society homosexuality is accepted, and later books feature gay characters.

Neil Gaiman's "Stardust" is also very good.

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (misskk) | 6 comments I don't read very much YA sci-fi but from what I've read I would have to go with Anne McCaffrey and, for a more recent sci-fi author, PJ Haarsma. I read mostly YA fantasy and most recently I've been reading series by Stephenie Meyer, Frank Beddor, James Owen, and J.S. Lewis and Derek Benz.

message 8: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra The Tripod series was also a childhood favorite of mine :)

message 9: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bevhale) | 5 comments I think growing up my YA favorites were Madeline L'engle and Robert Heinlein.
Now, there are many- Robin McKinley, Charles de Lint, Scott Westerfield, Neil Gaiman, Anne McCaffrey...too many to name. I love Delia Sherman's Changling as well.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalowry) | 3 comments Timothy Zahn's Dragonback series there are 5 or 6 in it. It's great! A very fun read with a boy trained as a thief and a dragon who is a Poet/Warrior. They travel in a spaceship own by the boy. I liked it so much I gave copies away at Christmas to my nephews and grandson.

message 11: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Stiefvater (maggie_stiefvater) I'm going to have to second Scott Westerfield. His PEEPS & THE LAST DAYS were excellent. And M. T. Anderson's FEED? Oooh, brilliant.

I also like Mary Pearson's THE ADORATION OF JENNA FOX.

message 12: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 26 comments Kelly,
There is a fourth book called Extras in the Uglies/Pretties/Specials series by Scott Westerfeld. I should know my daughter is crazy about this series. She went with her father all the way to New York City (two hours and a half drive) to see him at a book reading last year the same day I had my first book signing ever. I was so jealous of the guy!

I read the four books on the series and liked them. But my favorite books by Scott Westerfeld are Peeps and The Last Days. I love the way he uses Biology to underline his theories on vampires.

A classic I love is The Enchantress from the Stars by Sylvia Engdahl.

message 13: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 15 comments I love most of the authors already listed, especially McCaffrey, Westerfeld, Pierce, L'Engle, Heinlein and Lowry. I'd add the Spederwick Chronicles by DiTerlizzi and Black, The Enchanted Forest books by Wrede, The young Magicians by Duane, many of Andre Nortons series, esp. Staar Kat for young audiences, the Warriors series by Hunter and anything by Emily Rodda. Also enjoyed Artemis Fowl by Colfer and Horowitz's Raven's Gate series, and Coville's Alien books! So much good YA sci-fi/fantasy to chose from now! I was pretty much stuck with the adventures of the Mad Scientist's Club, Heinlein and Norton when I was a kid! Today's children have a much wider spectrum of authors than I did!

message 14: by Cathy (new)

Cathy  (cathygreytfriend) The classics, of course: L'Engle, Heinlein, McCaffrey, OSC... My new favorite is Brandon Sanderson's Alcatraz series, although it could be debated whether it is fantasy or sci-fi. Timothy Zahn's Dragonback series was also very good.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) Several of the ones posted here are fantasy so I think Garth Nix should be included. Both his Abhorsen novels and the Mister Monday series are really good.

message 16: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 41 comments A great science fiction author would have to be Isobelle Carmody - especially her Obernewtyn series (starting with, surprisingly enough, 'Obernewtyn). There's five books so far, with the next (and final?) book coming out next year. They're set on earth after most of the world has been destroyed by a huge nuclear catastrophe, and whilst the radiation has obviously deformed and destroyed, it has also left a large amount of people with extraordinary mind capabilities.

message 17: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 5 comments Depending on my mood, either Scott Westerfeld or Madeleine L'Engle. I've thoroughly enjoyed Epic and Saga, both by Conor Kostick, but I'd like to see how well I enjoy a book set in another series before I list him as a favorite. :)

message 18: by Jayden (new)

Jayden (jaydenstarr) | 1 comments For me, that'd be Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman on first place (tied, because I really don't want to choose between them), with Phillip Pullman a close runner up. ;)

I like the British and their darker writing especially for children, as well as their humour. Does it show? ;)

message 19: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 22 comments I am getting ready to start Uglies today

Kelly wrote: "Another sci-fi series author is Scott Westerfeld. He wrote a series that starts with Uglies, next is Pretties, and it ends with Specials. It was a great concept of how we judge people's beauty base..."

message 20: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 22 comments I loved these books!

Richard wrote: "I'd have to go with John Christopher (actually a pseudonym of Samuel Youd). His "tripod" series of books (The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead and The Pool of Fire) were my favorites as a..."

message 21: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 22 comments I love books by Jane Yolen - some are retelling of fairy tales but others are original fantasy

message 22: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 22 comments Another fantasy series I love is Gerald Morris' one. Featuring legends from Camelot

message 23: by Ann (new)

Ann | 48 comments I haven't really read much Sci-Fi (yet) but I've really enjoyed the Larklight A Rousing Tale of Dauntless Pluck in the Farthest Reaches of Space books. And I've got some Tamora Pierce on my shelf, so I'm looking forward to reading those!:)
I also really liked Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians (it's not really fantasy, but not really sci-fi... but I thoroughly enjoyed it!!:D )

message 24: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Leahy (Cozie) | 2 comments The Host....by a long shot...excelent....if you think you don't like science fiction and you haven't read this book, then you've just never read any good science fiction

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellezink) | 168 comments Definitely, Colleen!! I loved the Host, and I went into it not sure I would. I was completely glued to that book... could not put it down!