Good Reads Vegetarians discussion

I just got a Juicer

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Kaufman (andrewekaufman) I'm loving my new Juicer--fresh juice whenever I want it at half the price. I wonder why I never got one before. But a question: does anyone know of a book with some good recipes? Anyone have any suggestions on what combinations work best? It's not as easy as I thought to make good-tasting drinks. Certain combos seem better than others. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Drew

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily I got a juicer a few months ago and have been making kale (3-5 leaves), cucumber (1/2), celery (3 stalks), apple (1 granny smith), ginger (1 inch piece) juice most mornings. It tastes good, I love the energy it gives me, and I know I'm getting my vitamins. I don't know why I didn't get one before either! I read a few juicing books, lots with recipes, but didn't find one that I loved, and I actually like the process of experimenting with different combos on my own. I'd just recommend checking out whatever your library has on the subject. Happy juicing!

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Kaufman (andrewekaufman) I got one a few months ago also and love it. Do you make anything with the pulp? I've heard you can bake bread, soups and other things with it.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily I just compost the pulp, but you're right! You could totally bake with it or use it for veggie stock. Great idea.

message 5: by Petabyte (new)

Petabyte | 3 comments Emily wrote: "I just compost the pulp, but you're right! You could totally bake with it or use it for veggie stock. Great idea."

There's that lightbulb moment :D
Great idea. I've recently acquired a juicer, and it's been great.

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Kaufman (andrewekaufman) There's actually a recipe book--or several of them--on how to cook with the pulp. You can apparently make bread and all kinds of things with it.

message 7: by Gertie (new)

Gertie (gertiebird) | 30 comments Which juicer did you get? I am always curious about them, but there are so many crap ones out there, or ones that work well but are hard to clean. (I had one for a little while.) I always want to use banana but they all seem to frown on that. :-P
Vegweb.com has a yummy looking apple, orange, carrot, ginger one.

I imagine the trick is to use at least 1/2 (maybe 3/4) sweet ingredients for a safe bet, otherwise you may end up with juices that are a challenge to choke down. Or use a little something tart (lemon/lime) if you need a little more to balance out something less sweet.

What juicers do you other folks have?

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Kaufman (andrewekaufman) I got the Jack Lalanne Juicer, Gertie. Good price and so far, works pretty well. The only thing I'm not so crazy about--as you mentioned--is the mess. Cleaning up feels like a chore. But I do love making my own juice.

Yeah, bananas don't have much in them to juice. Too dry. I like making carrot juice mixed with beats. Not for everyone, I'm sure, but for me, I like it.

message 9: by Gertie (new)

Gertie (gertiebird) | 30 comments I can see how beets would be great with juices actually... like carrots they seem to have a bit more sugar than other vegetables.

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Kaufman (andrewekaufman) They say beets are better for you when mixed with other juices. Frankly, I don't think I could drink it straight. A bit strong :)

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo | 12 comments I have a similar favourite as mentioned about. Makes 1 small glass.

1 granny smith apple
1 stick celery
3 big romaine lettuce leaves
1 peeled lemon
1/3 of a large cucumber
A bit of ginger sometimes.

I also like to mix a few carrots with a couple of oranges and a bit of ginger. Yum!