Writerpedia discussion

on publishing > publisher suggestions

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (new)

Joy Rancatore (joyerancatore) | 9 comments I know this could be a loaded question, but I'm wondering if anyone could give me some publisher recommendations since I'm in the research stage of determining the who/what/where/when/how of submitting a book.
Of course, every genre and type of book has numerous publishers to choose from; but I'm interested in any companies you've had good experiences with or know a good deal about--and those you've had bad experiences with as well.
I am working primarily on children's books--three fiction picture books with one non-fiction picture book probably fourth in line--right now, and that's what I will be submitting first, most likely. However, I'm also in the researching stages of something that could be historical non-fiction or a historical novel--or perhaps both (there are many different ways I could take this particular story).
Self-publishing is not an option I'm considering right now; I'm really interested in finding the best companies to begin the submission process with. The companies that don't accept unsolicited manuscripts are out for me as well since I'm a "book virgin."
Thanks for any guidance and anecdotes you can provide for me and the many other aspiring writers in the process of taking that next step!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

What type of publisher are you looking to submit to, large or small? Most of the large publishers want agent submissions.
I'm not familiar with children book publishing, but someone else here might be.

Good luck.

message 3: by Joy (new)

Joy Rancatore (joyerancatore) | 9 comments Most likely smaller since I don't have an agent; and, like you said, most of those larger ones only work through agents, so they would be out for me right now.

My thought process has been to start at the top and work my way down--perhaps someone can advise me on whether that's a smart thought or not. As I'm gathering publisher info, I'm trying to figure out who's at the "top" of my list (those who accept unsolicited manuscripts, of course) so I'll know where to start.

I would just really like to know some "real" stories from real authors who have been through the process. Not only would I like to work with a publishing company who's at the "top" of the list (hey--I can aim for the stars!), but also I'd like to submit to the ones who have positive feedback from their authors.

Thanks, Anne!

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz Fichera (lizfichera) Writer's Digest publishes a catalog of all publishers who accept and don't accept agented submissions. That would be a good starting point. I believe it's also online too.

As an aside, Milkweed Editions accepts unagented submissions (there are not many who do). They are the publishers of FLIPPED by by Wendelin Van Draanen.

Best of luck to you!

message 5: by Joy (new)

Joy Rancatore (joyerancatore) | 9 comments Thank you, Liz, for those tips!

I realize my initial question was not really concise or clear about what I'm asking. Also, I thought it may be helpful to mention some specific publishers I'm considering for submission of my children's books (picture books). If anyone has worked with them, I'd love some feedback or advice!

Charlesbridge Publishing
Peachtree Publishers
Picture Window Books
Holiday House (a little leery of them and would LOVE to find someone who's worked with them)

I have not begun my research on publishers for a historical novel or non-fiction book, but would love to hear some suggestions on that front as well.

Thanks!

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz Fichera (lizfichera) Joy, I'm familiar with Holiday House but not the other publishers. Publishers Marketplace would be a good place to check for deal histories.

Regarding publishers in general, Writers Digest and their guides to agents and publishers would be a good starting point.

message 7: by Joy (new)

Joy Rancatore (joyerancatore) | 9 comments Thanks, Liz. I really like Holiday House and have used a bunch of Gail Gibbon's books they published in school with my daughter, but they have a line on their submission guideline page that I haven't seen on the other companies'.

"By agreeing to review a submission, we do not assume any obligation to refrain from publishing a book based on a similar idea, concept, or story."

I'm hoping that's simply a standard, "cover-their-butts" legal statement; but it really makes me leery to consider them for submission. Does anyone know if this is a standard statement?

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz Fichera (lizfichera) Joy wrote: "Thanks, Liz. I really like Holiday House and have used a bunch of Gail Gibbon's books they published in school with my daughter, but they have a line on their submission guideline page that I haven..."

Joy, while I've not seen that language specifically with other publishers, it sounds like CYA. I'm pretty sure what they're saying is, "If you submit a book to us about vampires and we decline to buy it, don't be surprised if we publish a book about vampires in the future."

I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

message 9: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 35 comments One cannot copyright an idea, or a title. However it must be a tremendous nuisance when a writer and his/her lawyer does not grasp that fact, and sues anyway.