75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2011 Challenge) > Lori's 75 books in 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments I have set myself a goal of reading all 75 books from my bookshelves, stacks, towers.

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments #1 The Lies that Bind by Kate Carlisle
#2 Summer on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber

message 3: by Merri (new)

Merri Lori- I am the same way- I am trying not to buy more books before i get through some of the MANY i have! By the way i love the Blossom Street series!

message 4: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4125 comments Mod
I'm in the same boat ladies! I have about 500 unread books in my own library and somehow I'm always tempted by books that are not my own. For a while I was doing good by avoiding the library, but then I missed my audio books too much. This wouldn't be a problem except I get sucked into the new book room and I have to read those because it's only a 14 day loan. Now that I have a Nook I really like reading that in bed. So I find that I'm buying books for that too. Not to mention the give and take table in my development and the endless books that family, friends, and co-workers keep giving to me! It has become a comical but real problem!

JanB(on vacation till October) | 980 comments Lori wrote: "I have set myself a goal of reading all 75 books from my bookshelves, stacks, towers."

Lori, welcome! Your challenge scares me, lol! I might need a 12-step program to keep away from bookstores, Amazon, and the library :-)

message 6: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments Lori wrote: "I have set myself a goal of reading all 75 books from my bookshelves, stacks, towers."

Wow! That's an excellent goal... maybe one day I'll try it ;p I think the 'oldest' thing I've read so far has only been on my list for about 6 months, LOL!

message 7: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) Excellent goal! I myself should follow suit but I know I'll just keep trading even if I try to curtail it. I'm a bookmooch.com addict!

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments #3 Fundraising the Dead.

I know I won't be able to go 75 books without a trip to the library or bookstore. But I read 92 books last year so hopefully I can do better than that this year and clear some room on my shelves for more books, lol.

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments #4 Chapter and Hearse by Lorna Barrett

Should be able to finish number 5 tonight as well.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments #5 A Matter of Class by Mary Balogh

message 11: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) Lori wrote: "#3 Fundraising the Dead.

I know I won't be able to go 75 books without a trip to the library or bookstore. But I read 92 books last year so hopefully I can do better than that this year and cle..."

I think my problem is going to be remembering what I had at the beginning of the year vs. what I've accumulated on a near daily basis since. LOL.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments I know what you mean, I think I'm going to clear off my bedside table and use that for "new" books. Plus everything on my kindle is since Jan 1.

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments #6 Skein of the Crime by Maggie Sefton, loved this book. It always makes me want to drink coffee and knit.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments #7 The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

message 15: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Lori, the Art of Racing in the Rain is going around work and everyone loves it!

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments Andrea I really enjoyed reading The Art.... have you read it yet?

message 17: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Nope, I'm awaiting my turn :)

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments Stupid Christmas by Leland Gregory, not giving this one a number since I read it on my kindle.

message 19: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments Lori wrote: "Stupid Christmas by Leland Gregory, not giving this one a number since I read it on my kindle."

Why don't you count Kindle books? Just wondering...

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments Hi Stacie
I'm only counting the books that I had already purchased and were sitting on my bookshelves patiently waiting for me to read them. My goal is to liberate 75 books from shelves and book piles this year.

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments The Hippopotomus Pool by Elizabeth Peters, Bipod

message 22: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments Lori wrote: "Hi Stacie
I'm only counting the books that I had already purchased and were sitting on my bookshelves patiently waiting for me to read them. My goal is to liberate 75 books from shelves and book p..."

Sorry... I forgot that you'd already mentioned that Kindle books were new purchases for the year :-o

BTW, I LOVE Elizabeth Peters! I just started Lion in the Valley as my to-and-from-work listen :)

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments #8 1022 Evergreen Place by Debbie Macomber
I really love her books I always feel like I really know these peope.

message 24: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments #9 The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb
I am finally finished this book. Can't say I enjoyed it.

message 25: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Lori, is there something that made you not like it? I remember it was pretty heavy and I was not prepared for the hearing such a realistic account of Columbine. I'm a big fn of Lamb so I just started reading without having a clue what the book was about. I guess in general that is pretty much how I like to read anyhow.

message 26: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments #10 Town in a Blueberry Jam by B.B. Haywood
Loved this cozy mystery and look forward to any more by this author. The Blueberry Queen has been murdered, the wrong man has been accused. Candy and her friend Maggie set out to find the killer.

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments Weekend Warriors by Fern Michaels, library book, not getting a number.

message 28: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments Denial by Keith Ablow, library book, not getting a number. Loved this book, I read it straight through, I can't wait to go to the library to get the next in this series.

message 29: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments #11 Secrets to the Grave by Tami Hoag, loved this book. I really hope there are more books with these characters.

message 30: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments #12 Revolution by Jennifer Donnally, loved it. I will move my other book by this author up to the top of my TBR pile.

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments Just finished The Paris Vendetta by Steve Berry, BOCD, it was a library book. I love Cotton Malone!

message 32: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Lori, I loved Donnally too!

message 33: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments Payback by Fern Michaels, library book.

message 34: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments Projection by Keith Ablow, another great Frank Clevenger story! Library book

message 35: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen, read on my kindle. I really enjoyed this book and will look for more from this author.
I really need to start reading books I can count.

message 36: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) Lori wrote: "The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen, read on my kindle. I really enjoyed this book and will look for more from this author.
I really need to start reading books I can count."

At least you are reading books you enjoy! Good luck getting back to reading from the TBR. Maybe if you pick one up again it will inspire you to keep going.

message 37: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments #13 Tick Tock by James Patterson, loved it!! I love the Micheal Bennett series.

message 38: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I just love a good James Patterson, the man keeps pumping them out like no tomorrow! He must have a bunch of kids in college!

message 39: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments Andrea your right I don't know how he keeps coming up with the story lines.

message 40: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister, first book I have read by this author, really liked it. I already have the next 3 from the library.

message 41: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments Fire Me Up by Katie MacAlister, loved the second book and have already started the third. I have till monday to finish the next 2 books.

message 42: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments Finished 2 more library books:
Light My Fire by Katie MacAlister, loved it.
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness, loved it.

message 43: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness is getting rave reviews!

message 44: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Oh I seriously need to stop looking at what others read. I lost all control of my to-read lists...

message 45: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments Andrea it was very good, I "read" it by audio book and the narrator was good.
Tugce Nida my to read lists are out of control, that is why I have started going to the library once a month, I get the books off my to read lists from there so I don't put more books on my shelves/stacks to read.

message 46: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Sounds like one more to add to the lists! hahaha

message 47: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) Tugce Nida wrote: "Oh I seriously need to stop looking at what others read. I lost all control of my to-read lists..."

It's not just the list at my house. I've also lost control of buying/swapping/checking out. I have so many books that even if I didn't work for the next year I probably wouldn't be able to get through all of them. LOL!

message 48: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I'm in the same boat Christy, I could easily go 2-3 years and not run out of books...lol I get so many of them for cheap or free that it's hard to say no!

message 49: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments If only work didn't get in the way of reading!
Finished Holy Smokes by Katie MacAlister, loved it!! I think I have read all of the Guardian series, have to check out Fantastic Fiction to see for sure.

message 50: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments Vendetta by Fern Michaels, the third in the sisterhood series, another library book.

« previous 1