Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Urban Fantasy > Patricia Briggs

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Pamela, Moderatrix (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) | 614 comments Mod
I just read Patricia Briggs's Blood Bound and I was highly impressed. However, it doesn't seem to fit the conventions of the paranormal romance genre. It's sort of... paranormal romance light, because there are elements of romance, but it's not the main concern of the story.

I really enjoyed it though. Has anyone else read it?

message 2: by Carla (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Carla I enjoyed it, the sequel and I'm eagerly awaiting the thrid installment but I do agree. I've also noticed that in most bookstores, the series is shelved in scifi/fantasy so at least some powers-that-categorize recognize the difference.

message 3: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments Definitely one of my favorites. I think Mercy is extremely interesting. Also, I like that she's not jumping right into the romance, but rather giving a little taste of what's to come.

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Dec 23, 2007 06:01AM) (new)

Lisa (Lisa_Swift) | 4 comments I actually prefer the more paranormal than romance slant in my novels, although I do enjoy a good juicy proper paranormal romance. Mercy is a well-rounded character and I like her a lot!

The Kitty Serie.. well, the least I say about those the better, I'd hate to upset someone on my first hour of joining this group!... But in brief, I think they're diabolical. To me, they read like they were written by a three year old.. sorry! :) For werewolves and romance,I'd be more inclined to recommend Kelley Armstrong.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (LauraStamps) I think of the "Mercy Thompson" series as urban fantasy rather than paranormal romance. As for Mercy, wow, she is wonderful, and the reason I keep reading this series. I love how unlike most urban fantasy heroines she doesn't go into every situation ready to fight. Sometimes she just sits back, and let's others take charge. She seems to be lead more by her brain than her emotions when it comes to that, and this is a nice change IMO.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (Lisa_Swift) | 4 comments I agree totally, Laura. She's not always prepared for what's going to happen and she gets battered and bruised and scared... unlike a lot of her counterparts in other series.

message 7: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I agree, too. I like that Mercy is a supernatural creature, but at the same time she's vulnerable both physically and emotionally. I think heroes that are invincible are terribly boring. If there's no danger, what's the point of writing this character in this story? It's like... god-moding a book. I much prefer the more "human" characters, whether they're human or not.

message 8: by Summer (last edited Jan 01, 2008 07:31PM) (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments Lisa, I agree with you. I read Kitty and the Midnight Hour and was a bit disappointed. I thought maybe it was a first-time writer kind of thing, but it wasn't...yeah. Guess it appeals to some, though.

Keri Arthur writes werewolves pretty well, too.

message 9: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I like Keri Arthur's books, too. They're very steamy, which is a plus in my book hehe, and she's pretty much the only author I've come across so far that can write a hybrid character (i.e. the vampire/werewolf crossbreed characters) without making me roll my eyes. Other attempts at that seem to be about making the Most Powerful Character EVER, but Keri Arthur's stuff seems much more subtle and believable.

message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan (Jan1228) I just recently finished her Mercedes Thompson series and I really like this who-done-it paranormal/fantasy/mysteries. It had plenty of twists and turns that made the books hard to put down.

But what was really fun for me, was the fact that it’s set in Tri-Cities, Washington a real place. Where I just happen to have lived all my life - in Richland. It’s really the oddest sensation to actually see the places Pat writes about in the book and know that they're real.

message 11: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments I just got the third Mercy Thompson book last night! I'm so excited to read it; anyone else read it yet? I didn't even know it was coming out so soon.

message 12: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I just picked it up, too, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I should be reading books for my classes, so I'll be ahead of the game, but... I don't want to put down the romances! I'm trying to cram in as much as I can before grad school starts, because I know I'm going to have to give up reading for pleasure as much as I do. :(

message 13: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments I finished Iron Kissed! I think it's the best one yet!!!

message 14: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I finished it last night, and while I agree that it was very good, one thing rubbed me wrong about the story.

SPOILERS!!! Do not read this if you haven't read the book yet!!!! (Goodreads really needs a spoiler tag)

The rape and how it was handled really bothered me. I might have already been sensitive to it, having read a few articles about rape earlier in the day, but it seemed like it wasn't dealt with seriously enough. It was a very complicated situation, with the goblet involved, but... I dunno, it just seemed like Mercy got over it way too fast. I appreciated that she was so wrapped up in guilt from the magic, but... bah. I can't quite expressed why it bothered me so much. I just hate it when rape is used as a plot device (thanks to years of rape used as a way to damage male characters in comic books) and isn't dealt with as seriously as it should be. One thing that really bothered me was Adam's assumption that Mercy would be okay with Congress seeing her naked and being raped on the security video. It was necessary for them to see it, but that's a damn big assumption to make.

Anyway, I did really enjoy the book except for that one dark spot. The mystery was excellent and kept me guessing right up until the end, and I'm pleased that Mercy picked Adam over Samuel. I've been vaguely uncomfortable with the idea that Mercy would have to be completely submissive to Adam (and not just in the bedroom, hehe), but I'm pleased that Briggs had Mercy worry about these things and Adam acknowledge and debunk some of her fears.

message 15: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments ** Spoilers**

I agree with you. That whole rape scene was very strange, in my opinion. It's hard to write from a first person perspective when the first person becomes obviously unreliable, if that makes any sense. And yeah, she did seem to get over it pretty fast, aside from like 2 mentions from the garage.
I am so psyched that she picked Adam! I really like him, but damn was I disappointed that when Mercy and Adam finally get together in the end, she faded to black!!! Screw being classy! Haha...

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I agree with both of you and I was so upset, too, when it ended with just the knowledge that they were going to finally be together. We were robbed! I've been waiting three books for that! To address the comment about her being comfortable being seen nude, the author has made a point about nudity not being a big deal to shifters. She has said it more than once in each of the books. I don't really like how easily she got over her trauma either. Not only the rape, but being drugged and out of control. I was worried though that the book was going to end up with her being the tortured soul and we'd have the next book starring a very depressed Mercy. Can I say too, where was Stephen (the vamp) in all of this? So sad he didn't make an appearance. This is such a great series though. I'm always so eager to read them and so sad when I'm done. I've read her Dragon Bones and Dragon Blood books and I really loved those too. She is a great writer. I also read The Hob's Bargain by her. It wasn't as good as the Dragon books. I'd say it was kind of a beauty and the beast kind of story with fantasy creatures. They are worth the read, but not as good as the Mercy books.

message 17: by Jan (new)

Jan (Jan1228) I've just come from Pat's webpage [ http://www.patriciabriggs.com/ ] and she's got the next Mercy Thompson book set for January of '09 WAHOO!!!!

message 18: by calicheri (new)

calicheri | 39 comments I really like this series. I usually stick to para romance over urban fantasy. But I stuck with this series. I liked Iron Kissed and am hoping for more about their relationship in the next books.

message 19: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments It's interesting to see that they're making the Mercy series into graphic novels too. Seems to be a trend developing, with Anita Blake already there and now Mercy on the way...

message 20: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

It isn't PNR, but has anyone read her fantasy novel The Hob's Bargain? It looks like it was originally published in 2001, but it's been re-released. My best friend leant it to me, and I devoured half of it last night during a bout of insomnia. It's pretty good so far. :)

message 21: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 49 comments Wow, for some reason seeing "I devoured half of it last night during a bout of insomnia" made me go "Mmmmm... reading a book for half the night because you can't sleep... mmmmm..." And I do not do well without sleep. It isn't pretty.

I must need to read more. Please let me know how The Hob's Bargain is. I picked it up over the weekend, but didn't buy it (went for Phantom Pleasures instead).

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I've read Hob's Bargain and really liked it too. I picked up some of her other books just after reading Moon Called. I really liked the Dragon Bones and Dragon Blood books. They are really fantasy like Hob's Bargain is. I'd recommend them!

message 23: by Christal (new)

Christal (christal00) | 83 comments The Mercy Thompson series is one of my favorites. I think each book just gets better and better. *SPOILERS*

I was shocked by the rape scene, but at the same time, it made sense to me. Mercy is a vulnerable person, not some jumped-up super woman. She can get hurt badly and with her involvement with things more powerful than her, it was bound to happen. It was difficult to read this section, but I think it makes sense. You have a guy consistently overlooked by women, so the raping was him finally exerting power over one of those women. I know a lot of people think she got over it very quickly, and I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think she is over it. Even in the last scene with Adam, Mercy sort-of forced herself to act. She wouldn't let the rape stop her from persuing what she wanted, but she had to make that choice. The violence was still in her mind and she is just trying to be strong and pretty much repress it. To me, that fits with her character. I hope that the author continues to give us insight into Mercy's self-healing, because I don't think Mercy will ever really share her feelings about what happened if she is to stay true to Mercy's character. Mercy is not the talking kind. I think she is still quite damaged, but trying to deal with it the only way she knows how.

message 24: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 39 comments Have any of you read her latest book?? "When Demons Walk."

Picked it up today...will let ya know.

message 25: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 39 comments "Bone Crossed" is the next Mercy book. Feb 09. It doesn't say what it's about though.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) I just picked up When Demons Walk at Walmarts yesterday. Don't know when I'll actually get to read it since i'm trying to finish up old series while beginning new series as well. man who new this genre would have so many tasty books. LOL

message 27: by Susanne (new)

Susanne | 17 comments ***SPOILERS***
I live in Walla Walla... and almost fell over when I saw the books took place in the Tri-Cities...and she describes it very well!
I've devoured all three Mercy books in under a week.

I'm also an animal behaviorist, and considering Mercy is part coyote, while a little hard to take her handling of the rape seems to fit in with the 'animal' side of her. I hope they address it a bit more so we know that the 'human' side of her is adjusting ok too.

And I have to agree with the others that felt cheated in the ending of Iron Kissed. I nearly threw the book across the room.... but more for us to enjoy in the next book! I hope!

message 28: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis | 1 comments Love, love Briggs. I would not necessarily consider her a romance writer. She was writing fantasy novels with a romantic tone. It is my understanding that she wrote the Mercy series at the request of her editor who wanted her to write a paranormal romance.

I think that she is an outstanding writer. I would strongly recommend her other fantasy books. The last two series, Dragon Bones and Raven Strike series, are outstanding. Again these are fantasy novels rather than romance novels. But I think that the romances in these books are more romantic than a lot of romance novels.

message 29: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I finished up The Hob's Bargain last night and really enjoyed it. I'll probably end up trying to find Briggs's other fantasy novels next time I'm book shopping, as I really do like her writing style. It's great when a writer can move between genres like Briggs does between fantasy and paranormal. I think it shows real talent to be able to write more than one genre well.

message 30: by Jan (new)

Jan (Jan1228) Susanne (From Walla Walla)

Waves from the Tri-Cities!!! I just recently found out from Dan (local comic shop owner) that Patricia actually lived here for a few years before she moved to Montana.

message 31: by Susanne (new)

Susanne | 17 comments Ja'niece~
Waves right back to you!!!!! I'll be over your way this weekend for a wedding!

I figured Briggs would have had to have lived in the Tri-Cities for some amount of time... she gives lots of details that you wouldn't know if you weren't from around here! Thanks for the info!!!!!

message 32: by Jan (new)

Jan (Jan1228) I was over on Pat's website today and I have terrific news ---- she's moving back to the Tri-Cities to live!!! Yep, Mercedes Thompson shapeshifting coyote is coming home. WAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Ja'niece

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I just started Cry Wolf today, and can't help feeling as if I'm missing something, or maybe I just haven't read enough of the book. Is there another book or series that should be read before this one?

message 34: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Bair-Epps | 725 comments Pat has a book called The Prowl that has the start of Anna and Charles story. It's a short story but worth the read.

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Bair-Epps | 725 comments I didn't think I'd like anything better than Mercy and Adam's story but Alpha and Omega have grown on me a lot I think I actually prefer them.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Jessica. I felt like something was missing. I think I'll put the series aside until I get my hands on the prequel.

message 37: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 7 comments I absolutely love the Mercy series...Its well written, keeps my interest, and is different than many other books out there.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 737 comments The Alpha & Omega series is improving as it progresses. I loved the short story in the anthology, much more so than On the Prowl, actually. However, I thought Hunting Ground was great and am really growing attached to Charles and Anna now.

The Mercy Thompson series remains one of my favorites though. She's created such a brilliant and complex character in Mercy and I love her supporting cast of Adam, Samuel, Stefan and Zee.

message 39: by Tina (new)

Tina | 130 comments I like the Mercy Thompson series and just picked up Cry Wolf. Do I need to read The Prowl first?

message 40: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 2658 comments Mod
Yes Tina, its a really good idea. It fills in the blanks between the first Mercy book and the start of Cry Wolf. It does a little explaining on just exactly WHY the Chicago Alpha did what he did, and how important Anna really IS to a Pack.

message 41: by Ana (new)

Ana (smackdownqueen) | 22 comments I definitely think you should read the short story in On the Prowl to get the full understanding of the relationship development of the Charles and Anna.

Personally, I think the Alpha & Omega series is much better than the Mercy Thompson series. I just find the Mercy series borders on "sugar pops" I can not seem to get into them. I have trying several of them and I felt the outcome was the same everytime.
I am definitely a fan of the Charles and Anna story.

message 42: by Misty (new)

Misty | 7 comments I just bought Preying For Mercy, which collects the first 3 Mercy books in one volume. I bought it on a whim figuring I could read it in between other things, and I wasn't really thinking much of it. I read the first one and was hooked about 10 pages in. I flew through the whole thing. I'm waiting on the 4th from the library.
I have to say, I like Briggs' stories and writing more than most I've read in this genre. (I think she's a much better writer than Hamilton, actually, though lighter on the crazy sex, if that's what you're looking for).
I haven't tried any of her other series yet, but I plan to.

message 43: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Bair-Epps | 725 comments I read Cry Wolf and Hunting Grounds before I read the short story in The Prowl. I was a little confused at first but I remembered how Charles was in the Mercy series. I think why I like Anna and Charles story so much is b/c they are already in love so its about them being together instead of all the figuring out if I'm in love stuff.

message 44: by Tina (new)

Tina | 130 comments Is Anna the girl that Mercy sends to Braun? I can't remember what book but Mercy meets a man who's daughter has been turned. She sends that girl to live with Braun. Is that Anna?

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 737 comments No, that's not Anna. I can't remember her name, but she's just a young girl. I'm still holding out hope that Samuel will some how have a role in her upbringing - with his desire for children and all.

message 46: by Misty (new)

Misty | 7 comments Yeah, that's what I though was going to happen, in a way, when she came into the story (or her dad did, I guess)

message 47: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Slade (JessaSlade) | 114 comments Thanks for the recommendation to hit On the Prowl. I LOVE the Mercy Thompson books, but stumbled on Alpha & Omega, which I really wanted to like because a not-alpha heroine sounded good to me. I felt like I was missing something, and now I know what :)

message 48: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 2658 comments Mod
The reason that Mercy sent the little girl to Bran was that demon that was in town. At the time she sent Daddy off to Bran she wasn't sure how long it would take to get rid of him--or if they even could get rid of him. But it would be nice if Bran does send her back to Mercy, Samuel, Adam and all the others as soon as she can control her wolf. I'm HOPING that one of the Charles and Anna books will deal with her a bit.

Sigh, so, anyone ELSE ever get to wondering what's happened with some of the "side" characters that show up for just like 3 or 4 pages in one of the stories? The little girl (ok, she's 13, so not so little NOW, but still. . . ) is one of them. But there have been others--and not just in this series either. :o)

message 49: by Nita (new)

Nita (gillnit) | 697 comments I just finished up Hunting Ground and now I am all caught up with both the Mercy series and the Alpha and Omega series. I like both, but am starting to really like Anna and Charles story better. It is really neat to see Anna grow into a stronger person and learn her Omega abilities. And I have a major crush on Charles.

message 50: by Karyn (new)

Karyn (KarynDias) | 103 comments Ann wrote: Sigh, so, anyone ELSE ever get to wondering what's happened with some of the "side" characters that show up for just like 3 or 4 pages in one of the stories?"

I think Briggs does a pretty good job keeping us updated on the side characters..more than some of the other authors i think
At the very least, she does bring them back and we know what they're doing at present
Like Warren and Ben and everyone else whose names i've forgotten now this early in the morning.
I really liked Ben after book 3, hope there's more of him

« previous 1 3