Movies We've Just Watched discussion

"The Mummy" (The New One) Good or Bad?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) I saw the latest Mummy movie with my husband and son yesterday. I didn't think it was as good as the first two. (You can't change Evie!) But, my son and I had fun. I thought it was good escapist entertainment. Sure, it was fluffy, formulaic and silly, but it was a good fluffy silly formulaic movie. It beat the 3rd Indiana Jones all to heck.

Have you seen it? Did you like it? Yay or Nay?

message 2: by George (last edited Aug 05, 2008 03:49AM) (new)

George | 951 comments Well, nay as far as I'm concerned. Definitely, the weakest of the 3. All action, no plot, no character development, and very little thought went into the film. Jet Li's Mummy is barely one dimensional, athough that's hardly his fault. He doesn't get any chance to do much more than pose. Vosloo's Mummy wasn't simply evil, the character was developed, he had feelings, somewhat of a tragic figure, etc. Plus, no real chemistry with the new Evie. Personally, I'll take Idie but that wasn't exactly a perfect film either.

message 3: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kristindreyerkramer) | 4 comments I really liked the first Mummy -- but this one just made me cringe. Maria Bello's accent drove me crazy, and as soon as the yetis showed up, I pretty much gave up. That, and the vomiting yak. It was all just too goofy.

After it was over, though, my colleague's son (who, I believe, is four -- maybe five) couldn't stop talking about how awesome the three-headed dragon was. So at least one of us liked it. :)

message 4: by John (new)

John (jayrindone1412gmailcom) Its AWESOME!