"Fever" Water Cooler discussion

Shadowfever > "Shadowfever" - Heartbreak Alley (VENT YOUR HATE HERE)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tatiana (last edited Jan 15, 2011 05:05AM) (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) That magic day of Shadowfever's release is approaching. Soon we all have it in our sweaty hands.

Although we all here are fans of the series at this point, it is obvious some of us will not like the book and some will. You have been here, on Goodreads, long enough to know how sucky it is when your friend hates your beloved book and how annoying it is when your friend tries to convince you the book you dislike is, in fact, great.

To make the discussion pleasant for all, Kat and I propose to have two separate discussion threads - one for fans of Shadowfever and one for those disappointed in it.

This thread is for the disappointed bunch. Hate on if you feel the need to vent!

(Hope no people will end up here)

Reminder: Please make sure to uncheck "Add to my Update Feed" when posting to this spoiler-full thread. We don't want to spoil the reading experience for others, right? Thanks.

Aly is so frigging bored If she doesn't fix the Barrons thing till the and I think I'll be hard-pressed to rewrite it LOL

message 3: by Émeraude (new)

Émeraude (meraude) | 59 comments Alinutza4u wrote: "If she doesn't fix the Barrons thing till the and I think I'll be hard-pressed to rewrite it LOL"

LOL....

Barbara (VampAngel) (vampangel) | 22 comments No hate from me, but I do have an issue with it. Not a big one in the grand scheme of things, but one none the same. But the book was full of so much WIN that I can't really complain. I'm a happy camper.

Barbara (VampAngel) (vampangel) | 22 comments Promise you won't judge me if I said I wanted more smexing?

PS: That is not my issue with the book. I'm not that shallow! ;)

Carry on...

message 6: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Kat Kennedy (katkennedy) | 113 comments Mod
I actually loved the book but I'm a little annoyed at one aspect and that is that all our speculating was for nothing. It's not that we weren't smart or observant enough - KMM was just withholding the information we needed.

I feel like it's a bit... cheap.

Barbara (VampAngel) (vampangel) | 22 comments I totally get it Kat, but I love it exactly because I had no idea what was going on. I get that she kinda cheated us, but I'm glad she did. I loved finally being surprised with something. The whole guessing everything was getting old to me. I'm playing Polyana with it for now, LOL!

message 8: by Kristyn (last edited Jan 18, 2011 05:09PM) (new)

Kristyn Kat wrote: "I actually loved the book but I'm a little annoyed at one aspect and that is that all our speculating was for nothing. It's not that we weren't smart or observant enough - KMM was just withholding..."

I totally agree. KMM says the story came to her fully formed so why couldn't she spread a little more of the hints around. It didn't have to be obvious; it could have been as easy as Mac having one of her White Mansion/UK's bedroom dreams mentioned in any one of the previous books. Or knowing a little more about her mom's involvement in the book's release from the abbey. As for Barrons, why is it that it's so much harder for him to control the beast and it's features now than before? Yes she did describe him as taking up more room than seemed normal and some of his behavior that could be considered animal-like but I would think that a couple of events in the previous books would have brought out enough emotion that he would partially change giving us a better idea of what he was.

I really did love the book and the writing and all except for that one flaw.

Did anyone else feel like they were a ping pong ball being batted back and forth repeatedly between all the theories and twists she crammed into this final book?

message 9: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Kristyn, definitely felt like a pingpong ball. I didn't get Barron's control difficulties in this book until I realized that:

a) it was so much harder to Barrons to control because he was emotionally so much more connected to Mac.
b) he was letting her see it. Kind of as a test. See me. Really see me. Accept me for who I am.

I do feel the fact that there were three other amulets should have been mentioned in another book. More information on Mac's family, as you said.

Barbara (VampAngel) (vampangel) | 22 comments Wasn't the 3 other amulets the 3 stones the Barrons had that were used to contain the book? That's what I understood was implied. Am I wrong?

message 11: by Kat Kennedy (new)

No, the three stones that Barron has plus the one stone that V'lane has is different from the experimental amulets that Cruce and the UK made together.

Barbara (VampAngel) (vampangel) | 22 comments True! I was so focused on the 3 stones Barrons did have, that I didn't even considered that V'Lane had the 4th. So, it was not a trio. I knew that it was never said in the book that they were the amulets, but I just assumed. Guess we know what that makes out of me... ;)

My bad.

message 13: by Galla (new)

Galla You make a lot of good points, Jillian! And, like you, I really did enjoy the book.

No, we never found out how Darroc was planning to merge with the book, unless both you and I somehow missed it (& I don't think we did).

I was bummed we didn't get the resolution with Dani, too. She's one of my favorite characters, and I was disappointed that she didn't make another appearance at the end.

There are definite loose ends aside from that, too--the biggest one seems to be the implication that the power to lead the Fae could very well end up going to Mac.

message 14: by Tatiana (last edited Jan 19, 2011 10:10AM) (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) The way I understood it is that Darroc was going to merge with it using the amulet. In one of the prophecies it said a super-special person will be able to do it and he thought he was that person.

As for Christian, I think Moning will probably write her future Fever books about him and maybe Dani.

My main (and almost only) concern with the book was all the talk about Mac's bipolarity suddenly. I don't think it was mentioned before.

The rest of the loose ends I didn't have a problem with.

Barbara (VampAngel) (vampangel) | 22 comments Very good points, I agree.

Just one thing, I understood that Darroc meant to merge with the book by using the amulet that was in his possession and because he had that prophecy that the one that was something else and changed (something like that it said) was the one to do it. He had it translated wrong, as Barrons says. It was the one that had been possessed, Mac in this case.

I think that was Darroc's plan.

message 16: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Okay, this is going to sound silly to many fans and I should say before that -- I loved the book, it was emotional, I laughed, I got pissed, I got frustrated, I was ecstatic. I feel like she resolved too much and it was too lovey dovey. I kinda felt like it read as a tribue to the fans, every theory that has been posited over the years was explored by Mac and hashed out. All the Keltars were there (and I squealed too) but I felt like some of it was over the top "here you go fans I know you will get a kick out of this" rather than really good additions to the story. The wives and children there of the Keltars? I thought that was too much and unbelievable. No way would they let them leave the Keltar land and bring them to where everything dangerous was happening. I would be interested to hear from fans that hadn't read the HL series and see what they think about the tidbits we read on the HL -- did it add to the story for them? Or was it merely for those of us who had done the cross over? Adam refusing to look at the Queen? I don't buy it. Adam loved his Queen and she gave him the ultimate gift (life with Gabby) and Adam knew he was checking up on him/them. I think Adam would have checked on her in a flash without the fight. The lovey dovey stuff between Barrons and Mac was nice and refreshing, but just sometimes too much in my opinion.

Now I gave it 5 stars, I loved the reading of it. It was a fun beautiful process, these are just some flaws that I see in it.

I am pretty sure Dani and Christian will be in the spin off. I was okay with that not being resolved.

As to the foreshadwoing of the beast/barrons -- I feel like that was there. It was obvious he was a predator, focused on blood (the smell of it, he new when the sidhe seer died in his store from the smell of her blood, he knows when Mac is having her period, he licks the vein in her neck the day/night that they meet), the image Mac saw in Faefever when Barrons was exiting the silvers -- she saw a beast on 4 legs and then of course the beast at the end of Dreamfever. I was definitely okay with the twist at the end -- is she the UK or not -- and then finding out she has the essence of the book in her bc it was imprinted when she was fetus. Not everyting can be foreshadowed and I am okay with that. Although I had suspected that Isla was pregnant with Mac and not showing when she escaped.

I thought the scene with the fake Isla was brilliant. I loved the brief snips of Barrons roaring.

message 17: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Someone posted on her message board (they were at the launch party), that KMM has planned the next trilogy with Dani, Christian, and Ryodan. I love Dani, and I really like Christian, but I dont really like Ryodan at all.

I actually have some issues with this book as well which shocked me lol. I still have too many unanswered questions. Some glaring and some more vague but I have to agree that this felt like the fifth in a six part series instead of the last (though Im thankful I dont have to wait a year or more to find out more about Mac lol). I still rated it 5 and still loved it :)

message 18: by Penny (last edited Jan 21, 2011 10:54AM) (new)

Penny | 82 comments When will this book END! It just keeps going and going and going and going and going and...you get the picture.

I wish this book were a Choose Your Own Adventure (remember those?), where I could decide whether or not to read (listen to) every single time-wasting scene in this book. There are just too many to name, btw.

Right now I'm suffering through the eye-rolling five-day sex-a-thon. Don't get me wrong, it's all very impressive. Way to go Mac and Barrons, amazing stamina and all that. But seriously? I just don't care that much.

Perhaps I would care more if these two hadn't already hooked up for a several-month-long sex-a-thon IN THE LAST BOOK. And since that took up a large chunk of Dreamfever, and since Mac's been fantasizing about it since then? Well, I'm pretty much sexed out by these two.

Also? I think the pri-ya sex with Barrons was preferable to the ridonkulousness going on in this book. I actually liked how Barrons was trying to bring Mac back to her former self, so he did stuff that he normally wouldn't do. Like setting up a Christmas tree or dancing naked to Tubthumpping.

But whatever, my love of this series never had to do with whether or not Mac had sex with anyone. And honestly? I don't particularly care for the way Moning writes sex scenes. And no, I'm not prude. I love a good sex scene. But no, I've never been into the whole ridiculous bodice-ripping sex-a-thon thing.

I LAUGHED when Barrons said: "I just saw you die. I need to fuck you."

I know Barrons has never been subtle. Nor has he ever had a way with words. But holy shit! Really? I mean, for real-sies? WOW! Not really the way I thought it'd go down between these two.

I mean, I know Mac has been hankering for another try at his massive rock-hard sausage, but I can't believe she goes for it right then and there. Covered in blood. Right after his secret son ripped her throat out and she bled out several times over.

Just... GAH! Gross. And I'm not easily grossed out. I even thought the Sookie/Vampire Bill angry-violent-sex-in-the-mud (IN THE CEMETERY) scene was pretty effing sexy. And I don't even like Vampire Bill. Not even kind of.

But Barrons and Mac's bloody, relief-because-Mac's-not-dead sex-a-thon totally skeeves me out.

Also? If Mac was really as worried about all the death and destruction that's being caused by the book (SHE EVEN THINKS: "EVERY DAY THE BOOK IS FREE MORE PEOPLE DIE." NEAR THE TAIL END OF ALL THE SEX) you'd think she'd stop fucking Barrons after one day, to, you know, stop the book from wrecking havoc on all of Dublin. Just saying.

message 19: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) LOL Penny. I was bipolar (to use Mac's words) about the sex scenes. I found them satisfying and over the top. I also found the love doveyness of JZB unnerving and unrealistic but I also liked it.

But yeah -- that line: "I just saw you die. I need to fuck you." Was not sexy -- but I am guessing it was meant to be a primitive marking sort of thing.

message 20: by Tanya (new)

Tanya | 2 comments I'm one of those fans that picked apart the books looking for clues as to the mystery of Barrons and Mac but the answers were so out there that I feel cheated that I wasted my time trying to figure it out. And even though we do finally find out what Barrons is, I’m still unclear as to how he came to be that way. It wasn’t explained well if at all and it felt like a cop out.

I only re-read book 4 before starting this one but one clue that is really irritating me is from when Mac was Pri-ya and entered Barrons memories..”What have we done? What have we become? Have they gotten to her? Does she know? Will she denounce us?...She is our world. Our highest star, our brightest sun…” I thought this was a major clue to Barrons past and it never came up again. Who is this mystery woman? If I missed something, please let me know!!

Now that I've vented a little, this really is one of my favorite adult series.

message 21: by Denise (new)

Denise (dshelton) | 2 comments OK I have read all the Highlander books she wrote and this whole series and something changed in this last book.

1. Not only did her writing style change with the kicked up vocabulary but she switched from 1st to 3rd person and gave others like Dani 1st person. It was a bit confusion and very different. While I liked the book I thought she was kind of out there....

2. I agree the McKelter's would never have brought their family and wifes to the town that was in that bad of shape. It think it too was to get us fans of the last series excited.

3. I think so much NEW info. was introduced in the book that it actually made it harder to follow. I agree that the other books could have had info. or hinting about Barron's being a beast, her bipolar thinking, her connection to the White Mansion or at least the Unseelie King, the amulet.

4. She bounced around about different theories that it became confusing.

5. I don't know why it bothered me but there seemed to be no big 'fight the bad guy scenes' and the Unseelie King acted like a hippy from the 60's on acid. That is not what one would expect of the Unseelie King and was kind of a let down at the end.

6. No resolution with Dani and Mac

7. Christian's role seemed unnecessary. He really played no role and was annoying.

8. THE BIGGEST Issue is we still don't know who Barrons is. That was what most of us were waiting to find out. If the series does not continue then she should have let us in on who he is.

OK All said I did like the book and the series as a whole.

message 22: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (thesa) Regina wrote: "Okay, this is going to sound silly to many fans and I should say before that -- I loved the book, it was emotional, I laughed, I got pissed, I got frustrated, I was ecstatic. I feel like she resol..."

I agree with you on most of your comments except for a few. I believe the MacKeltar wives would never allow their men to leave them at home. If you remember, all the Keltar wives are stubborn, strong and always supportive of their men. I agree that I didn't see Adam arguing about identifying Aoibheal. I would think he'd want a bigger part in helping her. I don't feel Mac & Barrons were too lovey dovey. Actually, it lacked the typical romance, but that's precisely who they are. I feel like KMM was able to get them to declare their love for each other without compromising their character. She has been giving clues to Barrons feelings for her from the beginning, but if you look back, Mac has always been proud. Before his death as the beast, she would never have admitted her feelings for him. She couldn't even admit her attraction to him, or even the possibility that he was attracted to her at first. That's why he always called her a little girl. She was brave in every way except dealing with her feelings for a man that wasn't her "ideal man."

I also think she foreshadowed enough in the first 4 books to support the conclusions she gave us. I like that it wasn't any of the typical speculations that the first 4 books were leading us to. However, it was all still plausible. I liked that I was surprised throughout most of the book. I do feel like she cheated us with V'lane though. I wasn't a huge V'lane fan or anything, but he was becoming a "friend" to Mac and she just took that away from us. I feel like Mac should have expressed some feelings about that as well.

Another thing that bothers me is the elixir. *******SPOILER WARNING IF YOU HAVEN'T READ HIGHLANDER SERIES******* I know it's different from the queen's elixir, but what about the whole issue with killing the soul? Isn't that the reason Adam Black chose to give up being Fae so Gabby wouldn't lose her soul by drinking the elixir?

Anyway, overall I loved it. I love that she left enough loose ends to start new series. I just hope she's able to write them all. I really want a detailed back story on the beasty boys. I believe that is why she didn't give us much info on Barrons because we will get it in the next series. If BB&B plays a big part in her next series, like she said it would, then we have to get more Barrons & Mac. It wont be up close and personal obviously, but Barrons plays a huge role in the beasts' story. I wasn't that crazy about Dani in SF, so I'm hoping the new series doesn't revolve solely around her. I'm hoping it's not in Dani's 1st person POV.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts and opinion. It's one of my favorite series! I think KMM is brilliant!

message 23: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (thesa) Denise wrote: "OK I have read all the Highlander books she wrote and this whole series and something changed in this last book.

1. Not only did her writing style change with the kicked up vocabulary but she..."

Where did it switch to 3rd person?

message 24: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Good point about the soul issue. Maybe the fact that it is different is enough?

message 25: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (thesa) Regina wrote: "Good point about the soul issue. Maybe the fact that it is different is enough?"

I guess we'll just have to assume.

message 26: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I agree Lindsey. I don't think there was too much new info or lack of forshadowing on anything. I don't remember a switch to third person at all.

I honestly think any resolution b/w Dani and Mac would have been rushed and forced. Its gonna take time.

We do know what Barrons is. He shifts into a beast. He never dies. He is a predator. He consumes blood of something. This state of being gives him heightened senses. That is enough for me -- I really had hoped KMM wouldn't make him something cliche or anti-climatic, and I think not labeling him she avoided that.

message 27: by Penny (last edited Jan 25, 2011 11:11AM) (new)

Penny | 82 comments I'm going to go ahead and say this book doesn't totally align with the rest of the series. There is a consistency with the first four books that this one doesn't have.

Also? She brought up more questions then she answered. That royally ticks me off. She didn't wrap up a series. She just wrote an elaborate foundation to launch another series and screw us out of more money. Now, mind you, back when Dani was first introduced to the series I remember thinking that I'd like to know what happens to her when she grows up. After Moning used her to narrate part of Dreamfever I knew she'd get her own series and I was excited about that.

That said, I hate that she intentionally kept Barrons secret a secret. She did it so she could drag out the whole "I wonder what the fuck Ryoden (and Barrons and the rest) is." thing for an entire other series.

Oh, so he's a beast. Great. I got that at the end of the last book. BUT WHY? WTF happened to Barrons and the other guys like him? WHO MADE THEM THAT WAY, DAMMIT!? You don't build that sort of shit up for four whole books and then be all "...and they fucked like animals happily ever after. Forever and ever. And about that Barrons thing: it really is a mystery. The end. ...or is it? Read the spin-off series--wherein Dani will no longer be jail bait--and find out. Maybe."

Now I'll never know unless I read the next series--because you know nothing will be revealed until the last book of the next series. Greaaaaat.

KMM is a stupid money hungry bitch. Talk about selling out. I sort of hope she chokes to death.

message 28: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) About the beast thing. The way I understood it if he doesn't feed, eventually he starts losing control and shift. The hungrier he gets, the easier it is to shift. When they had that sexathone for 5 days or so, he was just hungry:)

message 29: by Penny (last edited Jan 25, 2011 11:18AM) (new)

Penny | 82 comments She wrote her Highlander series in third person. I think that's what she was referring to earlier.

message 30: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (thesa) I completely agree with Lindsey and Regina! Yes, SF was a roller coaster compared to the first 4 books, but I think it was necessary. There was so much build up that anything else would have been too anticlimactic. I think the slight stray from consistency was necessary. I do feel that Mac didn't express enough closure at the very end, but I wonder if KMM wasn't able to get it out. She obviously has huge plans for the spin off that's still tied to this world, so her muse probably couldn't give her closure.

message 31: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) I am actually quite happy there will be more Fever books. To me KMM finished Mac's story arc very well. I look forward to reading more about Dani. Love that girl!

message 32: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I agree with that Lindsey. I am always dissapointed when I become emotionally invested in a world and then there are no more books in that world. I am excited that there will be more books in this very interesting world.

message 33: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Tatiana wrote: "I am actually quite happy there will be more Fever books. To me KMM finished Mac's story arc very well. I look forward to reading more about Dani. Love that girl!"

Me too! I was glad that a quick fast and overly happy ending wasn't forced between Mac and Dani.

Honestly, my favorite books don't have happy endings and lots of questions remain open.

message 34: by Penny (last edited Jan 25, 2011 11:32AM) (new)

Penny | 82 comments It is too anti-climatic. I don't think Shadowfever was a rollercoaster ride. It was boring. It was lame. It was basically a lot of sex and the occasional deuce ex machina thrown in.

"Darroc? Let's have him murdered suddenly. There. Problem solved."

---

"Oh, hey, did I tell you about the OTHER other prophecy. The one that probably won't work either."

---

"I forgot to tell you. I spent my high school years feeling Bi-polar. Then the bi-polar-ness went away. Now it's back."

---

Barrons: "I can't tell you what I am or I'll have to kill you. BUT TELL-ME-EVERYTHING-THERE-IS-TO-KNOW-ABOUT-YOU! NOW! Yes, while I'm fucking you. And no, I'm never going to tell you anything."

Mac: "sure. just keep banging me."

message 35: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (thesa) Regina wrote: "We do know what Barrons is. He shifts into a beast. He never dies. He is a predator. He consumes blood of something. This state of being gives him heightened senses. That is enough for me -- I really had hoped KMM wouldn't make him something cliche or anti-climatic, and I think not labeling him she avoided that. ."

Exactly! I think part of what made Barrons attractive to most readers is that he's an enigma. Revealing everything would have changed that about him. KMM gave us enough of a conclusion about him to satisfy me. I understand him enough to accept Mac's feelings for him. Plus, I'm hoping that not getting the entire story about the 9 beasts leaves room for a whole series on them. What I got from it is that Barrons doesn't exactly know why he is what he is. Considering it's a progressive series, I think the ending was great. I'm sure it's not easy to wrap up a progressive story line. I have never liked easy endings. I'm always disappointed when I can guess the ending halfway through the book. I like being shocked at the end, so long as the end is supported by the details given from the beginning.

message 36: by Penny (new)

Penny | 82 comments Not trying to be rude but I'm thinking most of KMM's fans don't care what happens in any of her books so long as there's lots of fucking involved.

KMM was asked over and over and over again when all the sex was going to happen.

But you see, I didn't get into this series because I needed to know if Mac fucks Barrons or not. That was never the point of the series for me.

You know what? I'm just being extra bitchy because the painters are in and I've got pneumonia. I think I'll got take some pamprin and pass out.

(but regardless, I still think KMM is screwing her fans over).

message 37: by Denise (new)

Denise (dshelton) | 2 comments 80% (I know because it was on my Kindle so no page numbers) into the book was the first sex they had... that isn't a lot of sex..... sexual tension maybe.

message 38: by Penny (new)

Penny | 82 comments Five days of sex is a lot of sex. Especially when the damn book is still running all over dublin killing people. Also, Mac spends a lot of the book thinking about Barrons rock-hard beastly-sized cock.

Maybe I'd of been more forgiving had the sex happened after the book was taken care of, but it was just ill-timed. And Mac has the audacity to be all:"I need to get rid of that book, STAT, before it kills anyone else. Okay, not right away. After all the sex."

I don't know what you people where thinking but I wss thinking WHY ARE YOU GOING AT IT FOR FIVE WHOLE DAYS WHEN YOU'VE STILL GOT A MESS TO CLEAN UP?"

Another thing that drove me nuts is then she could suddenly recall exactly how Cruce was killed. just by trying to remember. Why does this awesome memory recall not come into play any other time?

OKAY, I'm really being a petty bitch now. I'm sorry. Regina, Lindsey, Denise, Tatiana, Theresa--I'm sorry.

message 39: by Penny (new)

Penny | 82 comments I don't want to say anything else because... well... I think everyone can agree that I should just shut up now (I'm totally with you people on this, I swear. And I will shut up but I have to say one more thing).

Um...The fever series isn't a paranormal romance. Nor is it a romance. According to KMM it is a dark urban fantasy that contains a romantic storyline.

Okay. Shutting up. (and again super sorry about all the crazy rude stuff I said).

message 40: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (thesa) I don't agree that fans of KMM only want sex. If you read the HL series first, then Fever, you should be able to see why people asked "where's the sex?" She writes great sex scenes in the HL series, so when you read FEVER and get all that sexual tension between Mac & Barrons, you can't help but think, "do it already!"

Also, 5 days of sex with Barrons is not so unbelievable to me. At that point, she thinks she's the UK and doesn't know how to deal with all that. It takes her that long to try to come to terms with the possibility that she's the UK. She hadn't discussed the whole UK issue with anyone (except Christian and he had his own probs) until she walked home w/ Barrons after their first attempt to catch the book. She was so confused and still didn't know how to handle having the weight of the world on her shoulders. A little TLC (Barrons-style) isn't too much to ask for at that point.

On a side note, I loved how Barrons declared his love: "You're Mac and I'm Jericho. And nothing else matters. Never will. You exist in a place that's beyond any rules for me. Do you understand?" That's so Barronsesque romantic! Haha!

message 41: by Brandi (last edited Jan 25, 2011 01:02PM) (new)

Brandi I read something somewhere (cant think of where right now), where KMM had repeatedly asked to not have the Fever series shelves under romance, because she siad it wasnt...not really anyway. She wanted it in the SciFi/Fantasy shelves.

I am a huge fan and its not only about the sex for me. No matter the author, if there is oodles of sexual frustration I want to get that ich sratched! Thats one of my negatives about YA..I like the adult side of a relationship (it doesnt have to be graphic, but adults have sex. YKWIM?).

Course that being said, I dont begrudge Mac her few days of sex. The world had gone to hell in a handbasket, and she indulged. Maybe she would never have had another chance to be that way with him. Either way, it didnt bug me at all because there is mayhem everyday in that world now, not just the book.

Just some of my thoughts :)

OH! And her admitting te bipolar thing~made perfect sense! She hasnt talked about it because she wasnt in a place in her life where she could be so brutally honest about such things. I didnt take it as a mean thing for KMM to purposely "hide", I took it as Mac not being honest enough till SF to admit it.

message 42: by Penny (last edited Jan 25, 2011 06:46PM) (new)

Penny | 82 comments Okay, I'm back. And I'm calm.

So, has it been established that the new series will revolve around Dani, Christian and Ryoden? I swear someone posted that somewhere. I'd already assumed Dani would be getting a spinoff, and as far as I'm concerned it was strongly implied in Shadowfever that Christian and Dani would be getting together eventually. And even when you look back at Dreamfever Dani talks about wanting to be immortal or something like that (I'd have to go back and review Dreamfever to get the exact quote, but I do remember her talking about her mortality specifically).

And Ryoden. Ugh. Hate him. I'm hoping he isn't the other guy--love interest--in Dani's series. He's like Barrons exactly. Possibly even more of a douche canoe then Barrons is, so I don't want to see him putting his skeezy hands on adult Dani. Gross.

I much prefer Lor. He's an asshat but I like him. I wouldn't mind Dani and Lor getting together. That'd be pretty hot, actually.

Now that I think of it, Christian is so emo I don't think I care to read about him anymore. I mean, don't get me wrong, I get why he is the way he is, but still... I mean, sure the guy needed to be put in his place a little; humbled. And he sure as hell has been humbled. But now he's just... meh. I liked the old Christian better. :S

I just noticed there is a thread about future books in the fever universe so I'm going to repost this there.

message 43: by Tanya (new)

Tanya | 2 comments Until I read it here, I was under the impression that Shadowfever was the final book in this series. After all the mystery, I was pretty pissed when all that we got was I'm an immortal beast and I don't know how it happened. I feel a little better knowing the answers may still be out there - but just a little after such a long wait.

I didn't mind the amount of sex but I thought all the mundane conversations they were having in the midst of it were decidedly unsexy.....dialogue-thrust-dialogue-thrust...If I had Barrons in bed, I wouldn't waste time chatting. For me, Barrons singing and dancing in "Dreamfever" was incredibly sexy and I hoped to see more of that side of him when he and Mac stopped being idiots. I can understand the change in his behavior now that the beast's out of the bag but he just wasn't as appealing to me as he had been in previous books. I think that probably disappointed me more than anything else which I realize is stupid but I wanted "Dreamfever" Barrons back.

message 44: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (thesa) I liked Barrons in DmF too, but he had to be different in SF because he's more vulnerable here. His first appearance in the book is of him seeing Mac making out & grinding Darroc. Of course he feels betrayed, like he didn't mean all that much to her. But he can't exactly express his feelings, because they weren't in a committed relationship and they're both very proud. Neither of them can admit their feelings for each other, because they're so used to antagonizing each other. Barrons can't go from those feelings to happy, dancing, Dreamfever Barrons. I agree though, Chapter 4 of DmF is my favorite Barrons. I can't even count how many times I read those scenes over and over again.

message 45: by Penny (new)

Penny | 82 comments Yeah, I much prefer Dreamfever Barrons too. I even prefer the pri-ya sex months to the five days of sex.

message 46: by Missie (new)

Missie (theunreadreader) Penny wrote: "It is too anti-climatic. I don't think Shadowfever was a rollercoaster ride. It was boring. It was lame. It was basically a lot of sex and the occasional deuce ex machina thrown in.

"Darroc? ..."

LMAO! Yeah, that is pretty much the way I remember SF.

message 47: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Just seeing the other posts now, not sure why I never got notifitications -- Penny I don't think you need to be sorry not everyone can like the same books. I do think it is unfair to say Moning fans only want sex -- but I understand where you are coming from. I am not a Barrons idealist, but I am happy it ended the way it did with Barrons and Mac (although I thought the grilling was over the top). I am sorry you were dissapointed, that must really suck to get it after the wait and not like it.

I have to say I don't think it is a timeless work of art, but it satisfied me in almost every way.

message 48: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1 comments I agree i think Mac and Barrons ended perfect, you cant have all your answers that would take too long and i dont really think i want her to make up something that Barrons is... somethings just are and cant be explained.
But i do have to say that the last book seemed to be KMM just filling up pages with twists and turns. It didnt feel like a cohesive series, but that KMM thought of things to add to the last book and just threw them in there. Then she gave us a finale. There was a lot of unnecessary posturing and the book should have been simplied.
Also, it seemed to allude to the UK "fixing" the concubine, what happens then since the Seelie Queen and UK were suppose to be inherit opposites? and now his concubine IS the seelie Queen? Can he still love her? Will a ruler be found for in the next book? I doubt that it could be Mac, she holds all the evil in the world within her, that's way too much temptation and pressure...

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicole wrote: " and i dont really think i want her to make up something that Barrons is... "

Barrons IS just Barrons.

That was the whole idea, you take him for what he is or you leave him. He's not conventional. He's outside the box, and thats just who he is. I like him like that, its not cookie cutter, and its not stereo typical.

message 50: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Exactly!

« previous 1