Books on the Nightstand discussion

Announcements > Kavalier & Clay online discussion - Jan 20th 9pm EST

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Join us on Thursday, Jan 20th at 9pm EST to discuss THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER AND CLAY by Michael Chabon.

All of the information on how to join in is here: http://booksonthenightstand.com/2011/...

Hope to see or hear you there!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm about halfway through and hope to be done by Thursday...

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam Lauman | 99 comments I am just starting the book today (Saturday) so I don't know if I'll finish by Thursday but at least it got me going. I've heard many good things about this book, so should be interesting.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 463 comments My MBA class begins that night, so I'll probably miss the discussion. Maybe I'll try to join in on break.

message 5: by Shona (new)

Shona (anovelobsession) | 178 comments I really wanted to join the discussion although I'm not quite through with the book so I set my alarm for 2:45 (I'm in Germany) and I slept right through it :(. How was it?

message 6: by Ann (new)

Shona, that was a valiant attempt! I would have felt badly for disturbing your sleep!

We had a great time, and we're going to do more.

If you want to listen, the show is archived here:
http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/...
You can listen online or download to your mp3 player.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2841 comments Mod
Oh, thank you for the archive. I had read so little I didn't want to "ruin" the book for me by partaking in the discussion.

message 8: by Pam (new)

Pam Lauman | 99 comments I joined the call on the computer but was unable to type any comments. I then tried to call in but had a poor connection. Sooo, some comments. I am still reading-almost 2/3 through. I like it but it really goes in fits and spurts. Some sections read very quickly and others word by word. In the beginning, I was confused with all the Jewish terms and practices. Chabon also uses many unfamiliar words. At first I looked them up but that took too long. I did come across at least one word that he made up. All in all, I am enjoying the unique story. Thanks for doing the show and motivating me to read it.

message 9: by Deb (new)

Deb (legs32) | 5 comments I joined the discussion and had a wonderful time. I loved the idea of doing future discussion from the authors of the retreat and look forward to the announcement with the dates and the books.

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam Lauman | 99 comments Yeah, I finished! It was Probably more 3 1/2 rating than 4. I did like it more than I thought I would. Interesting perspective on comic artists. Very long book which read quickly at times and slowly at others. Pulitzer prize winner. I'm glad I read it.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Pam, I'm sorry you were frustrated on the live chat. Hopefully next time will go more smoothly.

I confess that I almost NEVER look up words that are unfamiliar to me, I just skim by them -- so I wouldn't have caught the word that Chabon made up. Nicely done!

message 12: by Pam (new)

Pam Lauman | 99 comments Oh they were just small frustrations. I thoroughly enjoyed the chat and look forward to the next one.

Unfortunately, I did not write down the made up word and was unable to find it later!

message 13: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments Just wanted to note that on Tattered Cover bookshop has a wonderful video called"This is where we live" by 4th estate.Its a video of paper figures walking in a city where everything is made of book covers.K and C is one of the last books in the video.Great!ger

message 14: by Ann (new)

oh, very cool! Thanks, Ger!

message 15: by Don (new)

Don | 49 comments I got to visit Tattered Cover last month for the first time. It's a wonderful bookstore. We only have very tiny independent bookstores in Greensboro, NC, by comparison. So small they could fit in the mystery section.