Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Off Topic Chat > E-readers, who has them?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 292 (292 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Ameris (new)

Ameris (snap228) | 13 comments As we're all, obviously, passionate readers, I was wondering how many other people on here do their reading via e-reader. I'm a Kindle gal, myself, and I love it. Not only does it save me money, but it's ridiculously convenient. I've been able to offload a lot of my hard copies of books that I've gotten for Kindle, and I have my entire library at my fingertips.

So who else has one, and what kind is it? Let the debates BEGIN. :-P

message 2: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (cstroh) | 2 comments I received a Nook Color for Christmas and I love it. It is great for books, magazines and facebooking. :) The free sample feature is a great way to try out new books, and I agree that having an e-reader in general is super convenient. I'm sure I will still buy hard copies of some books, but having the Nook is definitely saving me some space on my bookshelves at home.

message 3: by Daniele (new)

Daniele Lanzarotta (danielelanzarotta) | 19 comments I have the Kindle app on my ipad, and I also use ibooks, which is turning out to be my favorite e-reader. I guess I could try the Nook app too. lol

Daniele Lanzarotta
Author, Imprinted Souls Series

message 4: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I have a sony ereader and I love it. I've had it for over two years, so it's one of the older models but I still use it all the time. I check out books from the library on it mainly, and it has saved me a ton of money.

message 5: by Taneka (new)

Taneka (ninatravis) I am in graduate school and we are talking about E-readers in my Intro to Technology class. It is amazing how this technology has evolved and matured. It still has a long way to go. I want one, but cannot decide which to get. The library now has book available to download as well as audio books. I know DC public library has Audio, ebooks, music and videos available for download on their site. I should be able to decide by the summer.

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Taneka if you want to get library (overdrive) materials make sure you get an ereader that is compatable with the epub format. As far as I know the Kobo, Sony, Cruz, and Nook all are. Just somethink to consider.

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi As I have said before I have a Cruz Reader. I have not read any books on it, but I have several free ones ready to go.

message 8: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla | 30 comments I love the look of the Kindle. Although I am not sure what you can do on them. Are the books the dame price as a normal book? By reading the posts it sounds like you can do more than just read books on them..

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Just about the same price. Sometimes more (yeah, I know - but it's the same for all ereaders) and sometimes it's a lot less. The publisher sets the prices. Depending on what you want to do, I'm pretty sure there's an ereader for that. Hahaha.

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Priscilla ebook prices go from as low as $1 up to $15.00 (some are more) and there are a lot that are offered for free (mostly classics). If you want free library books you have to get one that is compatable with epub. You can go on Amazon, Borders, and/or Barnes & Noble websites anytime and check out their ebook selections to see the prices and what books are free (that is what I did). Just put in the title to some of the ebooks you might want and see how much they are. I have not noticed a huge price difference so far between Borders and Amazon's ebooks.

message 11: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Ewww Heidi you always have to mention the other e-readers. This is a Kindle world! Hahaha. I do agree about searching for prices of books you like. I've noticed the difference in prices as well Heidi. I don't get that.

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Look above Peep - this is an ereader topic NOT a Kindle topic! I know it is hard for you Kindle snobs to believe, but there are others in this group that have Sony Readers, Nooks, and Kobo's. I think all of us who own ereaders besides the Kindle need to band together! Non Kindle owners unite!

message 13: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Blah, blah, blah. Mrs. I hate the Kindle and I'll try my best to steer people away from it! If I'm not mistaken, your ereader is *haughty sniff* backlit isn't it? And you've yet to read a book? Imposter!

message 14: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I don't hate the Kindle Ms. Peep. When have I ever said anything even remotely like that? Hmmmm...when? In fact if you review my comments I have said several times they are highly reviewed and if they were able to support epub I even said I was going to buy one. I am just saying there is nothing wrong with having choices. Geez! You Kindle owners are a sensitive lot.

message 15: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Jan 15, 2011 08:44AM) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Heidi I wrote: "I absolutely HATE the Kindle and everyone who owns one!"

Pudding proof. Don't get mad at me, I'm just the quoter. The sensitive quoter.

message 16: by Heidi (last edited Jan 15, 2011 09:54AM) (new)

Heidi You are such a liar! Words hurt Peep. They really do.

message 17: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments See part of my problem with e-readers is not all are a dollar for books and if I'm paying 6.99 for a book I rather pay the extra 2 dollars and have the actual copy in my hands

message 18: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Haha, you two are too funny. Maybe I'll just stir the pot a little by saying that I do sort of hate the kindle. When I had one (for less than a week...) I couldn't read library books, the buttons were huge and I would inadvertantly turn the page all the time...not the mention, Amazon is a greedy company (that I purchase other things from quite frequently) that doesn't allow kindle users to buy their books anywhere else. So there.

message 19: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla | 30 comments Thanks for the info heidi! I must admit I am totally not up on the book reading technology and Kindle is the only one I have seen a lot of!I am sure all E-readers are equal!lol ;)

message 20: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Ottillie wrote: "See part of my problem with e-readers is not all are a dollar for books and if I'm paying 6.99 for a book I rather pay the extra 2 dollars and have the actual copy in my hands."

I totally agree. With ebooks, you can't re-sell them, or give them away, or even loan them to a friend (although there's some with loaning capability now I guess). Not to mention, it has to cost so much less to produce an ebook than a paper copy of a book. I get so mad when I see publishers charging hardback price for an ebook, or delaying the release of the ebook to coincide with the paperback release. Ugh.

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) You can buy books for the Kindle from other places. You just can't buy DRM content in other formats and expect to be able to read it on a Kindle. But that goes for EVERY device. DRM is meant to restrict the usage of the file to a specific account or device. Epub readers are not an exception to this.

message 22: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) What do you mean by "other formats" Jenny? So, does the kindle allow DRM in some format? This is all so confusing to me sometimes. I thought that Amazon had a specific file type for all of their Kindle books? Oh, I guess that would just mean that everyone else can't buy books from Amazon. Explain more, because I am very curious!

message 23: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Catie wrote: "Ottillie wrote: "See part of my problem with e-readers is not all are a dollar for books and if I'm paying 6.99 for a book I rather pay the extra 2 dollars and have the actual copy in my hands."

..."

I lend my books to people and randomly like to skim. I think though that they are working on a lending process because I was talking to my publisher about that with my upcoming book.

message 24: by Heidi (last edited Jan 15, 2011 10:04AM) (new)

Heidi I have a Kindle app on my Cruz Reader Catie, but the Cruz is different because it supports a lot of formats.

My point earlier (before someone rudely interrupted) was for people to research where they primarily want to get their ebooks from so they can see what format (epub, drm, etc..) the ereader they want supports to avoid problems. That was all.

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi The Nook and Kindle have lending capabilities, but I have never used them.

message 26: by Jenny (last edited Jan 15, 2011 10:08AM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) Amazon supports many file types - more than other readers. It just does not support epub. You can get books for a Kindle anywhere that has unprotected (DRM-free) mobi files, such as Smashwords, Project Gutenberg, Feedbooks, and many other places. Additionally, you can purchase an ebook (of any file type) that does not have a DRM restriction and convert it to mobi format using a program such as Calibre.

To be honest, I prefer to get all of my ebooks from Amazon though. You can attach as many devices to your account as you want, and that can give trusted friends/family access to your library. I share mine with my husband, brother, sister, and one of my good friends who lives out of state. They can read my ebooks on their phones or computers via Kindle apps whenever they want if they can access them from my Kindle library directly, whereas if I had bought the book from someplace else, I would have to transfer the file to their device physically. That, and Amazon is usually the cheapest. Whenever another site lowers the price of an ebook, Amazon tends to match or beat that price. Also, Amazon will refund ebook purchases. Other places, B&N in particular, will not.

message 27: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Jan 15, 2011 10:20AM) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) The lending feature is limited right now as, again, it's up to the publishers to enable this.

Are Simon and Schuster title not available through overdrive?

message 28: by Erika (new)

Erika (twintrouble) | 4 comments Sony E-Reader PRS600 Touch Edition Owner here... absolutely LOVE mine... have had it for just over a year now and wouldn't change it for the world, well maybe an upgrade, lol
I have to say the price of ebooks are my biggest bugbare as like said above it'll cost less to produce them, yet for most ebooks they charge more than most paperbacks and even hardbacks... I wait until they have a sale or wait for prices to drop as i'm usually in no rush to purchase straight away as I have enough to keep me going for several years :P
I changed to Ebooks as I live in a small rabbit hutch of a house with 2 teenage boys and have not got the space to store my books as well as my craft supplies, so this was the best option for me! All my paperbacks I donated to my SIL for her swap group and have a box full to donate to my boys highschool library :)

message 29: by Heidi (new)

Heidi There are so many different Sony ereaders out there! Glad you love yours Erika.

message 30: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Yeah, that's a good point Heidi - I guess it all depends on what file types you have access to, or where you prefer to get your books.

All joking aside, I do love Amazon and I go there for all of my other purchases (they have great used books, and I buy all of my mp3 downloads from them). Unfortunately, my library has all of their ebooks in either epub or adobe pdf format, both with DRM. If kindle could read those, I would totally be onboard. For now, I am happy with my sony.

message 31: by Heidi (last edited Jan 15, 2011 04:53PM) (new)

Heidi Same here Catie. I love Amazon, heck I got all my Christmas gifts there this year, I am just cheap and plan to only read ebooks from my library, (or free books from other places), so that is why the Kindle was out for me as well.

message 32: by Erika (new)

Erika (twintrouble) | 4 comments I did a lot of research before choosing the Ebook I'd like and for me personally the Sony Ereader came out on top as I use a lot of PDF's in my crafting, classes etc, ones that I had purchased to take to crops or retreats and whilst I can't see colours etc I still had the majority of what I needed!
My ebooks are usually purchased from WhSmiths or Waterstones when they are reduded in price or special offers are on... only purchase at full price if I am going to read it straight away! :)

message 33: by Heidi (new)

Heidi What is WHSmiths and Waterstones?? I have never heard of them. Perhaps I will check them out.

message 34: by DJ (new)

DJ | 7 comments I decided last year to switch over to an e-reader from print books for the sole reason of being able to carry as much material as I want in less space than one paperback. I had already done the same with the rest of my media (music, movies, etc) by getting an Android phone, and my books were the next logical step. I could've just used the ereader apps on the phone, but where I don't mind watching a movie on a small screen, I didnt enjoy books in 4.3 inch size.

I first looked at the Kindle, admittedly because of their popularity and marketing. It had impressive features and the size of the unit was excellent. I just about had my mind made up, but figured I'd better do some comparisons just to be on the safe side. That's when I found just how many different ereaders are out there and that they're NOT all alike. To make a long story short; I realized that the Kindle is the "iPod" of the ereader world. In effect, it's fantastic at what it does, but it's so tightly tied to Amazon's DRM (just as the iPod is to Apple's) that once you buy one, you have to continue buying from Amazon for your media. That was enough to dissuade me from buying a Kindle.

I ended up purchasing a Nook Wifi. The 3G would have been nice, but I couldn't justify the extra money just to have the ability to download a book 'on the go'. It's just as easy to connect to an open wifi network and browse B&N's selections. Plus I have the ability to borrow e-pubs from my local library and download/sideload a huge selection from numerous websites. While I wouldn't trade my Nook for any other model, I think maybe in a year or so, I might pass it on to my daughter and look into a Nook Color for myself. In the meantime, the Nook goes everywhere with me. I purchased a lighted cover for it for reading in the dark, and also bought a custom "skin" to personalize it and protect it from scratches. I've had several people comment on how unique my nook looks compared to others.

On a funny sidenote - I know several people with Kindles who've seen how many epubs I have on my Nook, and are already pleading with me to help them figure out how to convert them so they can use them on their DRM-locked devices too. It's funny how the ones with the 'popular' toy still want what everyone else has.

message 35: by Heidi (new)

Heidi DJ you made my point much better than me! All I was saying was people should research all ereaders before they buy one. I bought a refurbished Nook and really liked the look and feel of it, but the keyboard stuck so I had to send it back. The reason I bought it was for the epub books and the great reviews.

message 36: by Erika (new)

Erika (twintrouble) | 4 comments Heidi... WhSmiths & Waterstones are book/stationery etc stores, they have online stores which is where I purchase my ebooks, there is usually a battle between them over prices but at the moment I have found WhSmiths cheaper although Waterstones you can sign up for a card and collect points, which you can use towards future purchases :)

message 37: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Ok thanks Erika!

message 38: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Wow, talk about envying others' toys! I think that I might look into a Nook whenever mine dies...

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments As great as this conversation is (Peep and Heidi), I'm also learning a lot. I have recently been considering an ereader. I stayed away from them in the past because 1) I like having an actually book in my hands, and 2) I get the majority of my books from the library and thought if you got an ereader you could only purchase books from that company (regardless of if it was Amazon, B&N, Borders... whatever.)

Since I have started listening to more audiobooks recently I have been trying to find ways to download the audiobooks from the library so I can listen to them while at the gym. However, my libraries e-audiobooks are not compatible with Mac computers... which is what I own so I've been trying to find other means.

I downloaded overdrive on my android phone and am still having a difficult time getting the book files onto my phone. It seems like purchasing an ereader is the next logical step. Do those of you who have them feel like they are small enough to take to the gym??

message 40: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) All the e-readers are small or portable enough to carry to them the gym. Unless you get the Kindle DX, which is huge.

If you just want something for audiobooks, try the Sansa. Though I don't know if they work with Macs - I am sure they do though.

message 41: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Actually, I think that an ereader is vastly more easy to manage than a real book. Once you start using it, real books can seem cumbersome and annoying, haha. I still love them though. The cool thing is, you don't have to hold an ereader open and it props up easily anywhere you are. You can carry hundreds of books in a tiny package stowed easily in your purse. How would you plan to read at the gym? I am imagining a treadmill or other equipment with a little shelf in front of it - I think that would work with an ereader. You would also be able to enlarge the font greatly if you had to sit farther away from the page. I always prefer audiobooks for exercising but if you really prefer to read the written page, then an ereader might be a good choice. Also, libraries more and more these days are providing large selections of free ebooks so you may not have to buy that many books at all.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments I don't think I would use it exclusively for audiobooks. I just want to make sure I can read library ebooks with it. I also try to read some classic literature so access to that would be an ideal situation to use the ereader. And I'll be travelling a lot in the near future, so it would be a great option.

From what you guys have been saying I think I'm leaning towards the nook. Of course I'll be doing some thorough research before I purchase anything.

message 43: by Erika (new)

Erika (twintrouble) | 4 comments When I bought my Sony Ereader I was able to download 100 Classics and some others for FREE so a great start to the collection I have :)

message 44: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jzmick) | 14 comments I got a sony ereader. Love it because I get books free from my library, plenty of bargin books/free reads through the sony store, I can put pdfs on my reader and read stuff for school, etc.

message 45: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Brittany I got my Cruz Reader to use for wi-fi and audiobooks and lastly to use as an ereader. If you are going to use it for library materials make sure you check the formats it supports because most of the overdrive audiobooks I have in my wish list are wma format and the Cruz does not support that format - just mp3 format. Like I have said, I spent all this time finding an ereader with the correct ebook format (epub), I didn't even think to check about the audiobook format! Since my silly little mp3 phone supports all my audiobooks I just assumed the Cruz would. There are still plenty of mp3 audiobooks I can choose from and I plan to just use my phone for the wma formatted audiobooks. Just wanted you to be aware of that since you plan to listen to audiobooks with it too.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Thanks Heidi... I'll look into that.

message 47: by Ameris (new)

Ameris (snap228) | 13 comments Catie wrote: "not the mention, Amazon is a greedy company (that I purchase other things from quite frequently) that doesn't allow kindle users to buy their books anywhere else. So there. "

Neither does Barnes and Noble or (to my knowledge) anyone else. Shooting themselves in the foot, really. That's one of the things that annoys me about e-readers and e-books. I would buy my books from Barnes and Noble if they let me, to be honest. But everyone has their own file type.

And, for the record, I do own a Kindle, but I don't consider myself a "kindle snob." I have several friends who have Nooks or the Sony E-reader, but I never really liked any of them as much as I do the Kindle. *shrugs* Personal preference I guess.

message 48: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I am sure everyone that knows me on here knows I was totally joking when I said kindle snob! I was trying to get Peep going as usual :)

message 49: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Yeah, I was inflating my hatred of Amazon for the purposes of stirring the pot as well. If you look lower, I recanted. I actually do shop at Amazon quite a lot. I totally agree with you about how annoying it is for all of these stores to have their own file types though. Can't we all just get along?

:)

message 50: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I picked a Kindle because I tend to do alot of my book shopping from Amazon, or Borders.

I read an article about how we should be saving the ebook files to our computer. I guess that Amazon has the ability to go in and remove books purchased from people's Kindles for whatever reason. I haven't actually done it, but it couldn't hurt. I guess a few years ago they did it with a book and there was a Kindle uproar. This is the stuff that makes me nervous, I love computers and technology but I just can't trust it 100%.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6