Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Fantasy Romance > Dark Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Since I haven't read much fantasy romance, I'm not exactly sure what makes a book "dark" fantasy. I'm assuming it's a combo of fantasy and horror. Any thoughts? Rec's?

message 2: by Michelle (last edited Jan 14, 2011 06:15AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Just going through my books, I think Vivia by Tanith Lee might be a good example of dark fantasy. I haven't read it yet, but just look at the cover!

Vivia by Tanith Lee

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I also think the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning could be classified as dark fantasy too.

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jan 14, 2011 08:33PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Alan Baxter (let me clarify, I’ve never read any of his books) said at: http://www.thecreativepenn.com/2009/0... "So, to me, a work is dark fantasy if it deals with any elements of fantasy and/or the paranormal in a way that studies the dark and frightening side of our nature, psychology and the weird, sublime and uncanny."
He said his books are often put on the horror shelves and he considers some of books by Dean Koontz and Stephen King as dark fantasy.

I was reading the series by Joey W. Hill and really enjoying them until A Mermaid's Ransom I still rated it 5*****

Don’t get me wrong…it was very thought provoking. If a being has never experienced good, if he is raised in only evil, how responsible is he for his actions? Dante as the hero is beautifully written, with true depth of character, and I felt for him; however, some scenes gave me haunting memories. Then some of the best books I’ve read have done this. Shades of Pirithous and Persephone. I loved, loved, loved the first two. You know, I may start up the series again; nonetheless, I will have to be in the right frame of mind.
A Mermaid's Kiss (Daughters of Arianne, #1) by Joey W. Hill A Witch's Beauty (Daughters of Arianne, #2) by Joey W. Hill A Mermaid's Ransom (Daughters of Arianne, #3) by Joey W. Hill

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Lisa- I have those three books and have been meaning to read them. I'm glad you love them! I'll have to move them up on my TBR "list"!

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'm guessing these can also be classified as dark fantasy:

1st book in each series:

Kushiel's Dart (Kushiel's Legacy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey
Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels, #1) by Anne Bishop
Empress (Godspeaker Trilogy, Book 1) by Karen Miller

I haven't read anything from Anne Bishop or Karen Miller, but that's the impression I get from the series descriptions.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I started reading Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1) by Lilith Saintcrow , which I'm really enjoying so far. I'm not sure if this urban fantasy, or dark fantasy.