SMF OLS discussion

Book One: "Secret Smile" by Nicci French (mystery/thriller/chick lit combo)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (kathbrat) | 44 comments Mod
GOODREADS REVIEW for our First SMF Book Club Read

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32...

Our discussion can start here

message 2: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed | 32 comments you have an affair.
you finish it.
you think it's over .
you're DEAD wrong .
that's the lines written on the cover of the book that made me interested in reading this novel

message 3: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (tangee43) | 93 comments I just got back from the library with my copy and I'm going to curl up and start it after I eat dinner.

After reading the back cover, I have goosebups...stalking and muder and betrayal...OH MY!

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 31 comments I plan on picking up the book at the library tomorrow! I can't wait to start reading it! :)

message 5: by Kathleen (new)

received my confirmation that my book shipped on Friday Hope it arrives this week!

message 6: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (tangee43) | 93 comments Okay...I know it's too early to discuss in detail as folks are still waiting to get a copy, but I started reading it and the plot is intrigueing, but so far the female lead is simpering and ineffective. I love strong female protagonists, so I hope whiney girl finds some moxie soon...

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 31 comments I picked up the book from the library today! Can't wait to start reading it! You have me curious Vickie!! Hmmm....

message 8: by Kathleen (new)

I hope my copy hurries up and gets here. I am getting curious myself! ;)

message 9: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (tangee43) | 93 comments Question #1

As you read the book, you'll notice a theme that nobody believes Miranda. I was horrified by this aspect.

Of all the people in Miranda's life, who do you think was most obligated to believe her and why?

message 10: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (tangee43) | 93 comments To answer my own question...I think Miranda's Mother should have believed her version of things because a Mother's love is supposed to be unconditional and her Mother should have been able to look her in the eye and realize that she was not lying.

message 11: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed | 32 comments oh Vickie you're making me so curious now I was supposed to finish the book I'm reading tomorrow but after reading your posts ,I'll not sleep tonight without finishing it to be able to start our book tomorrow

message 12: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Jarvis (ariyana9501) | 31 comments I'm still waiting on my library to notify me when they have a copy. As soon as I get it, I'll start reading and join in!

message 13: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed | 32 comments done . it's 3AM now but I finished "sisters" and going to start our book immediately :)

message 14: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed | 32 comments I like the fact that the outhers of this novel are a married couple & write together :)
I loved the beginning of the novel
in the 1st chapter, I didn't think that Miranda was weak (I think I'd act in the same way if I was her)
but in the coming chapters (I'm now in the 6th one) I agree with you Vickie & think she's so passive .it makes me wanna scream at her to do say something and defend herself .
hope I haven't said too much or revealed anything

message 15: by Kathleen (new)

Mr. Mail Man Hurry and bring my copy :)

Posted the thread for our next selection to allow time for everyone to pick up their copy.

message 16: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed | 32 comments Vickie wrote: "Question #1

As you read the book, you'll notice a theme that nobody believes Miranda. I was horrified by this aspect.

Of all the people in Miranda's life, who do you think was most obligated..."

I really blame her for not saying anything

message 17: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed | 32 comments Question #2
do you think that what happened at the 20th chapter is what they are saying/thinking it is ?

message 18: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed | 32 comments Skena wrote: "Question #2
do you think that what happened at the 20th chapter is what they are saying/thinking it is ?"

don't think so .

message 19: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed | 32 comments have everyone got their books by now ?
where's everyone's reading now?
I'm in the middle of the 21st chapter .

message 20: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (tangee43) | 93 comments Hey Folks -
I finished it last night and wowsa...caught me off guard! Go Miranda!

Can't wait to hear what y'all think.

Skena - To be as vague as possible until everyone finishes...no, at that point I had a feeling it wasn't quite what they thought. Wait until you hear the details!

message 21: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed | 32 comments finished it too . I loved it . even it some parts in the middle annoyed me but the end was REALLY good

message 22: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed | 32 comments I can't wait to discuss it with you specially it's end

message 23: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Jarvis (ariyana9501) | 31 comments STILL don't have it yet......it's not due back to the library until the 29th. Guessing I'll have to skip out on this one, and move on to the next one. :(

message 24: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (tangee43) | 93 comments We can keep the conversation going after we move on too. Since it's an online discussion, folks can come here and comment whenever they read it. The threads don't have to close at the end of a month.

message 25: by Kathleen (new)

I haven't received my copy yet either Veronica so we are still good.

I'm sure we will get a better flow after the first few books

message 26: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (tangee43) | 93 comments Skena - I totally hear what you are saying. By the middle of the book, I was like..."Come on Miranda...stand up for yourself girl!"

When the rest of you read this book, I'll be interested to find out if you like this heroine right away. You are such a strong and intelligent group of women that I imagine it might be hard for y'all to empathize with her.

message 27: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (tangee43) | 93 comments Deb...Dawn...??? Are y'all gonna read this one with Veronica, Kath, Skena, Jenn and I?

message 28: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed | 32 comments Vickie wrote: "Skena - I totally hear what you are saying. By the middle of the book, I was like..."Come on Miranda...stand up for yourself girl!"

When the rest of you read this book, I'll be interested to fin..."

I also wanna know if you'll all like the end of the book or no?

message 29: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Jarvis (ariyana9501) | 31 comments Okay, going to the library tomorrow to pick it up, as well as the next one! Glad to know there's no rush!

message 30: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Roberts (djr58) | 6 comments Vickie wrote: "Deb...Dawn...??? Are y'all gonna read this one with Veronica, Kath, Skena, Jenn and I?"

Not this one....but keeping my eye on something I can jump into!

message 31: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Swingle | 69 comments Sorry, I've been busy and haven't been reading much of anything lately!

I did start this one last week, I read a chapter here and there when I get a chance, I think I just finished Chapter 8. So far it's okay, it hasn't grabbed me yet!

message 32: by Kathleen (new)

Book Two arrived before this one. I am wondering if they ever shipped it? :/ going on to Book Two for now.

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 31 comments I've started the book. I'm on chapter 15. I agree with you guys, I'm little frustrated with Miranda at this point! I am intrigued to see what the heck is going on and what Brendan is really up to!

message 34: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Jarvis (ariyana9501) | 31 comments Okay.....FINALLY got this one! Will start tomorrow and try to catch up!

message 35: by Kathleen (new)

Mine arrived today - going to finish book two and then come back to this one

message 36: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Jarvis (ariyana9501) | 31 comments Vickie wrote: "Question #1

I can't believe that everyone believes this guy that they ALL just met. Surely her best friend would believer, right?

message 37: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Jarvis (ariyana9501) | 31 comments I'm just getting ready to start Chapter 15, and I seriously cannot believe how spineless this chick is, and how weird her friends and family are. Don't you think that after YEARS of knowing someone, you'd believe them over a person you just met? Crazy!

It is a really good book though!

message 38: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Jarvis (ariyana9501) | 31 comments Okay, finished this before bed last night, and wow, did the ending shock me! Skena, to answer your question, I didn't believe it at all. I don't know what else to say, because I don't think everyone has read, and I don't want to ruin it, but I was satisfied!

message 39: by Kathleen (new)

Im on chapter 17 and have to agree with this

I can't believe that everyone believes this guy that they ALL just met. Surely her best friend would believer, right?

message 40: by Kathleen (new)

Question #2
do you think that what happened at the 20th chapter is what they are saying/thinking it is ?

there is something not right with the events of chapter 20 and I hope the next pages prove me right

message 41: by Skena (last edited Feb 05, 2011 08:28AM) (new)

Skena Megahed | 32 comments Kathleen wrote: "Im on chapter 17 and have to agree with this

Of all the people in Miranda's life, who do y..."

I blame her friend too . because she's the only one that was told the whole story by Miranda . Miranda didn't actually said the truth to her family to let them believe her or not . she's so passive and let him make her look bad time after time

message 42: by Kathleen (new)

hmmmm I don't find Miranda to be that passive, now I have some more reflection on my own thoughts LOL

message 43: by Kathleen (new)

Finished the book not quite the ending I expected.

message 44: by Skena (last edited Feb 05, 2011 08:29AM) (new)

Skena Megahed | 32 comments Kathleen wrote: "Finished the book not quite the ending I expected."

yup z)

message 45: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Swingle | 69 comments I finished this last weekend. I enjoyed it, but had the same problem most of you seem to have had -- why the hell did EVERYONE believe the new guy, and no one believe Miranda?

It was completely unbelievable to me, and was a huge hole in the book as far as I'm concerned.

message 46: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Swingle | 69 comments I also kept wanting to smack Miranda upside the head for being so meek -- who the heck lets people throw you out of your own house so that they can stay there?!

message 47: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (tangee43) | 93 comments Dawn wrote: "I also kept wanting to smack Miranda upside the head for being so meek -- who the heck lets people throw you out of your own house so that they can stay there?!"

That is sooooooo the part that freaked me out. Who the heck lets someone they despise move in? Even if that person were dating a family member, my home is my sanctuary and only people that I want to be here are welcome here. No way! Just, NO WAY!!!

message 48: by Vickie (last edited Feb 07, 2011 11:15AM) (new)

Vickie (tangee43) | 93 comments Like y'all, I was shocked by the ending. I never saw it coming and it all seemed to happen too quickly. What had the potential to be the most interesting part of the book, was just quickly explained and then "The End."

Also, I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to what folks are saying about me and I can't stand that in the end, there were still all these people out there who think a bunch of untruths. What happens in five years when they run into each other again?

message 49: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Swingle | 69 comments Vickie wrote: "Like y'all, I was shocked by the ending. I never saw it coming and it all seemed to happen too quickly. What had the potential to be the most interesting part of the book, was just quickly explain..."

Vickie -- me too, I would freak out that all of these people thought I was a stalker/crazy person. And whatever happened with Miranda's family, they still think that their son killed himself, right?

message 50: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed | 32 comments Dawn wrote: "Vickie wrote: "Like y'all, I was shocked by the ending. I never saw it coming and it all seemed to happen too quickly. What had the potential to be the most interesting part of the book, was just ..."

right . also I'm dying to know what would happen when he comes out of jail ?

« previous 1