Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Archives > Feb BOM- Song of Scarabaeus

Comments (showing 1-50 of 145) (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Jan 20, 2011 07:27AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore pending

Nominations:
1.Mind Games by Carolyn Crane
2.Close Encounters by Katherine Allred
3.Tsunami Blue by Gayle Ann Williams
4.Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore You're nominations for the Feb. 2011 group read are welcome at any time. We'll be accepting nominations until the 20th, and then we'll poll the group, and announce the winner on the 25th, thanks!

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Hmmm....

I'm torn between nominating The Silver Metal Lover (Silver Metal Lover, #1) by Tanith Lee or, Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #1) by Carolyn Crane.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Lang | 23 comments Mind Games sounds interesting.

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) | 23 comments Mind Games is really good!

message 6: by Michelle (last edited Jan 14, 2011 10:47AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore So Mind Games it is! I think I'll read it whether its chosen for our Feb group read or not. Check out this book trailer. I love the music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zqHml...

message 7: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments OMG, that music! LMAO! Did you see the placeholder for the third book, "Kickass Title"? LOL! Love it. I like the old movie/TV clips too.

message 8: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 329 comments I'm going to re-request Close Encounters.

message 9: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (AnnaMc) | 1111 comments Tsunami Blue

I haven't read this but would like to. I have Close Encounters in my TBR too, though.

message 10: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (AnnaMc) | 1111 comments Just looked up Mind Games. That does sound good too. Wow, hard choice this month.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore AnnaM wrote: "Just looked up Mind Games. That does sound good too. Wow, hard choice this month."

I know! I want to read all of them, so I'm thinking that no matter which book is chosen, I'm going to read all of them next month.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore new_user wrote: "OMG, that music! LMAO! Did you see the placeholder for the third book, "Kickass Title"? LOL! Love it. I like the old movie/TV clips too."

I like the old movie/ tv clips too. I just love book trailers =)

message 13: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (AnnaMc) | 1111 comments Michelle, I wish I could too! LOL. But I'll be very lucky to finish a whole book in one month, nevermind three.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore AnnaM wrote: "Michelle, I wish I could too! LOL. But I'll be very lucky to finish a whole book in one month, nevermind three."

Well then I hope we pick a good one, LOL! I think all of the books nominated look pretty good. I'm going to B&N to look for Close Encounters- again.

message 15: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Jackson | 42 comments Ooooh, oooh, oooh. *hands up* Over here, over here.
I'd like to nominate Song of the Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy. It's got some great sci-fi world-building and it's a tamer romance for those that don't like explicit.

And Iron Duke by Meljean Brook. (little more explicit)But thumbs up to her world-building. This one is steam punk.

And *coughs* my novel, Blown Away. EOD in space and on alien worlds.(sci-fi/military erotic romance)
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention one of my own. LOL

message 16: by Felicia (new)

Felicia | 30 comments Does "Mind Games" sound more like paranormal romance than sci-fi to anyone else?

message 17: by Ella (last edited Jan 15, 2011 11:02AM) (new)

Ella Drake (elladrake) | 26 comments Felicia, "Mind Games" does sound more paranormal to me, too.
Song of Scarabaeus is on my wishlist. Haven't gotten it, yet, because it's at the top end of my personal price limit for ebooks ($7.99, the same as the print price), but I'm tempted to go for it if it's picked for Feb.

message 18: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Jackson | 42 comments I loved Song of the Scarabaeus. Her world-building was top notch and it's definately a sci fi rom. It's a sweeter romance though. I usually like mine a little hotter, but it didn't matter. It still had lots of great tension between the H&h. I picked it up after I saw it on the Holiday Blitz on The Galaxy Express and don't regret it a bit.

message 19: by new_user (last edited Jan 15, 2011 01:15PM) (new)

new_user | 755 comments Michelle wrote: "new_user wrote: "OMG, that music! LMAO! Did you see the placeholder for the third book, "Kickass Title"? LOL! Love it. I like the old movie/TV clips too."

I like the old movie/ tv clips too. I ..."

Oh yeah, I love book trailers! :)

Good choices, guys! We usually only allow one nomination per member. Do you think you could narrow it down to two? ;)

message 20: by Michelle (last edited Jan 15, 2011 05:23PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore Felicia wrote: "Does "Mind Games" sound more like paranormal romance than sci-fi to anyone else?"

Hmmm.... I can see how "Mind Games" could be considered a pnr. To me, it seems like something more along the lines of psychic superheroes vs. villains. But I could be wrong. I started reading some reviews, and it seems like it could go either way. Has anyone read it already?

message 21: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Jackson | 42 comments If only one, I'll nominate Song of the Scarabaeus.

message 22: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Thanks, DL! :)

message 23: by Ella (new)

Ella Drake (elladrake) | 26 comments Just found out Song Of Scarabaeus was nominated for this year's Philip K. Dick award.
THAT IS SO AWESOMELY AWESOME.
So. I'll be reading that one & might not be able to wait until Feb!

message 24: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Whoa! That is awesome! Congrats to Sara Creasy!

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Ella wrote: "Just found out Song Of Scarabaeus was nominated for this year's Philip K. Dick award.
THAT IS SO AWESOMELY AWESOME.
So. I'll be reading that one & might not be able to wait until Feb!"

I don't know what the Philip K. Dick award is, but you've got me really pumped up to read Song of Scarabaeus now, instead of later too. I'll see what happens after I finish my current book.

message 26: by Sara (new)

Sara Creasy (saracreasy) If you do pick SONG I'd love to join you for a discussion. No pressure or anything...! The sequel comes out soon(ish) so after March I'll only have that one on my mind.

message 27: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (AnnaMc) | 1111 comments Congrats, Sara! I think I already bought it and have it in my TBR piles.

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore The poll is up, voting ends on the 25th. I'm looking forward to reading them all =)

message 29: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) | 67 comments SRSLY? Okay now I have to read it lol. PKD is one of my fave SF authors (if not THE fave).

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore And the winner is......

Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy!

Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy

message 31: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (AnnaMc) | 1111 comments Cool! I have it.

message 32: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments All right! :D

message 33: by Sara (new)

Sara Creasy (saracreasy) Woohoo! :)

message 34: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 153 comments Since I've already read this, I'm going to reread so the story will be fresh in my mind for the sequel. BTW I loved it the first time.

message 35: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (AnnaMc) | 1111 comments Since I figured this would win and I peeked at the first page last night, I went ahead and read the first chapter today. :-) It's a good start and not a light read. I love SF!

message 36: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 56 comments Yay! I'm in the middle of this one, so I'll finally be able to participate in the BOM. :)

message 37: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Awesome! Glad it's easy to participate. I love the start- right into the action!

message 38: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (AnnaMc) | 1111 comments Definitely a good start.

message 39: by Sara (new)

Sara Creasy (saracreasy) Two bits of trivia about that start: firstly, the concept came from a short story I'd written with completely different characters in a completely different situation - something to do with a bunch of people needing to escape somewhere, each for his or her own reason, and one had a boundary chip. I no longer have the story and don't remember the details. They were on a sky elevator, not a cargo crate (i.e. moving vertically not horizontally).

Secondly, there used to be three additional chapters before the current chp 1. Fortunately I cut them out before submitting the manuscript. I still like them but it's true that these days, especially for a new writer trying to attract an agent's attention, you have to start where the action starts.

message 40: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Sara wrote: "Two bits of trivia about that start: firstly, the concept came from a short story I'd written with completely different characters in a completely different situation - something to do with a bunch..."

Thanks Sara for posting that info. I always like knowing bits of trivia about the books I read. I think we'll have a great group discussion this month =)

message 41: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Well, it's definitely a ways of getting the reader's attention. ;)

I think that's a good idea to borrow the element that was useful/you liked from the short story -that was scrapped?- and place it somewhere where it can really shine.

message 42: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (AnnaMc) | 1111 comments Thanks for the info! I like behind-the-scenes, too.

I'm now to the point where they just start talking about Scarabaeus. Really good. If not for interruptions I think I'd be finished by now. LOL. I certainly don't want to put it down. I like Finn!

message 43: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Me too! It was really refreshing to me that he didn't swoon over the heroine immediately. He treated her as he should treat his captor (albeit unwilling).

message 44: by Sara (new)

Sara Creasy (saracreasy) That gives you a clue to the fact that the book was never intended to be SFR. I wrote it as science fiction but I always like there to be a relationship in any story I read, so I made sure there was "something going on" between Edie and Finn. Still, my editor Diana Gill wrote "increase sexual tension" all over my Edie/Finn scenes.

message 45: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 153 comments Sara wrote: "That gives you a clue to the fact that the book was never intended to be SFR. I wrote it as science fiction but I always like there to be a relationship in any story I read, so I made sure there wa..."

There is a terrible lack of good SFR, especially good SFR that has a strong well done sci fi element. So please scoot yourself right in to the nearly empty niche. And when you're done with this series, you can start right in on a new SFR one and we promise to buy it.

message 46: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (AnnaMc) | 1111 comments I second that. I come to SFR from SF and definitely prefer the stories with solid, or a lot of, SF in them.

message 47: by new_user (last edited Jan 28, 2011 09:11PM) (new)

new_user | 755 comments I loved that! Another friend of mine who's not really a romance reader really enjoyed it too and didn't feel the relationship was really the typical romance kind, if you know what I mean.

I really understand the wish to have relationships in the books you read. That's really what I'm interested in too. Kind of the building blocks of life, at the risk of sounding really corny, LOL. I always joke with my friends that I like explosions and car chases, but they really don't satisfy me alone. Even if a book has a good plot, I need that human relationship.

Oh, and I'm with Jacqueline. Keep writing! ;)

message 48: by Sara (last edited Apr 03, 2011 09:51PM) (new)

Sara Creasy (saracreasy) I just posted some illustrations of the ship's layout on my blog (http://saracreasy.blogspot.com/2011/0...) for anyone who's interested.

Also... please don't be shy about discussing what you didn't like as well as what you liked. I jumped in here because - ya know, I was going to read the posts anyway! But I'd hate to think I was stifling discussion. If you have any questions, too, let me know.

message 49: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Sara wrote: "I just posted some illustrations of the ship's layout on my blog (www.saracreasy.blogspot.com) for anyone who's interested.

Also... please don't be shy about discussing what you didn't like as we..."

Thanks Sara. Illustrations are always helpful, especially for me. =)

message 50: by Hilcia (new)

Hilcia | 20 comments I missed this and just bought the book today! When is this discussion over?

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mind Games (other topics)
The Silver Metal Lover (other topics)
Close Encounters (other topics)
Tsunami Blue (other topics)
Song of Scarabaeus (other topics)
More...