SDMB - Straight Dope discussion

How bookish is your house?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Tracey | 20 comments Yes, a blatant copy of the SDMB thread here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/s...
but I don't have an account over there anymore.

Let's see - the least bookish rooms are the kitchen/dining room (a couple of cookbooks) and the downstairs bathroom (maybe 1 book, mostly magazines)

I have a book rack next to my chair in the family room - my Current reads & library books go there, so 5-10 books.

Upstairs bathroom - 1 shelf in the closet is Straight Dope/Uncle John type books - at least a dozen or so.

Bedroom - 3 shelf bookshelf of my personal favorites (Pratchett, Adams, Gaiman, etc.)

Computer room - 1 5-shelf bookshelf - half filled with movie/tv/music genere books.

Bonus room/laundry room - 1 5-shelf bookshelf of science fiction & fantasy

Spare bedroom - 2 5 shelf bookcases of misc books - plus about a half-dozen boxes filled with Mount ToBeRead books - see photos here:
[http://pics.livejournal.com/politzani...]

message 2: by Jodi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Jodi | 6 comments My house is probably not very bookish by GoodReads/Dope standards, but I'm sure very by any other standard. I have book shelves in the office, living room, guest room, and den. The bookshelves in the living room are part of a huge entertainment center and so bookshelves cover most of one whole wall in that room. No books live in either bathroom, and the only books that live in the kitchen are the cook books. Interestingly (considering how much time I spend there, and spend reading there), there are no book shelves in the master bedroom, just a pile of books on the night table.

They're only organized very loosely, sort of as follows: Hard backs (of which I don't have many, I don't buy them) are in the living room (because they look nice), except for a small book case full of reference/texts that is in the office. Trade paperbacks are (some) in the living room, and then in the big office book case and the book case in the den. Pocket paperbacks are in the book case in the guest room, as are the dozen or so children's picture books I own. The cardboard box of romances (Julia Quinn, Joan Wolf, Julie Garwood, Mary Jo Putney) is in the office closet, and the cardboard box of 25+ year old Betty & Veronica comics is in the attic. :)

message 3: by Pam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Pam | 87 comments Not everywhere -- living room (on end tables), bookcases in the front "parlor" room and in two bedrooms. Magazines only in the bathrooms, cuz it gets damp in there. A few stashed in closets and cupboards.

Most hardcovers -- paperbacks are too hard on my eyes. Plus, I really like hardcovers. They last longer and the jackets are often gorgeous. They feel more like books.

message 4: by What Exit? (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

What Exit? | 11 comments My house is ridiculous. My daughter and I were talking about it the other day.

Every room has books in it except the Kitchen. All three bathrooms and 2 spots in the basement.

I have an entire wall of books in two separate room and then several more bookshelves.

My book Queue shelf has dozens of books on it. I get a little crazy if it gets too small.

I think I have an addiction honestly. At least the one wall of books is an outside wall. It should be adding insulation value to my room.

Jim

message 5: by Dora (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Dora | 41 comments Let's see:

Master bedroom: two small bookshelves at the foot of my bed, plus a small bookshelf as a night-stand and another one along a wall. Lots of books inside the closet (there are little shelves originally meant for shoes, I think).

Spare bedroom: two large bookcases.

Dining room: two small bookcases with cookbooks and gardening books.

Office: Very tall bookcase (maybe 8 shelves) and shelf above closet.

Miscellaneous books strewn throughout the house.

I downsized significantly when I moved to this house and only kept books that I had read and thought I'd re-read, books I intended to read or refer to, books that are hard to get (mostly German and Spanish-language editions).

I have a small house, but still lots of books.

Once I have my books cataloged here, I'll probably weed out a few more books. (Always need room for more!)