UK Book Club discussion

Genre Challenge 2011-12 > Bill's Genre Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bill (last edited Sep 29, 2012 05:11PM) (new)

Bill | 2764 comments For the historical challenge, I chose Mistress of the Art of Death. I started beginning of Jan 2011 and finished Jan 13.. Excellent mystery and loved the setting of England under Henry II. Looking forward to next month's genre challenge..

January - Historical Fiction - Mistress of the Art of Death, by Ariana Franklin
Feburary - Crime/detective - The Red House Mystery by AA Milne
March - Classics - Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
April - Biography/Memoir - A Soldier First General Richard Hillier
May - Dystopia - Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
June - Fantasy - The Time Thief by Linda Buckley - Archer
July - Young Adult - The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
August - Humour - The Return of H*y*m*an K*a*p*l*a*n by Leo Rosten
September - Magical Realism - Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenneger
October - Gothic Horror - Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
November - Spy / Adventure - Spies of the Balkans by Alan Furst
December - Short Stories - The Seeds of Time by John Wyndham
January - Non-Fiction - The Zimmerman Telegram by Barbara Tuchman
February - Travel/ Exploration - Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World by Ewen MacGregor & Outposts: Journeys to the Surviving Relics of the British Empire by Simon Winchester (much preferred)
March - Romance/ Erotica - The Virgin and the Gypsy, D.H. Lawrence; Summer of '42, Herman Raucher;
April - Psychiatry/ Madness - Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov
May - War - HMS Ulysses, Alistair Maclean
June - Western - The Captive Witch, Dale van Every
July - Poetry - The Poetical Works of Mrs. Browning by Mrs. Browning
August - Lesbian/ Homosexual - Further Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin
September - Chemical Fiction - A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K. Dick
October - Self Help - The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

message 2: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Sounds like an good choice Bill, I haven't come across this writer before but on an initial glance through reviews, it seems to be well received.

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments Em wrote: "Sounds like an good choice Bill, I haven't come across this writer before but on an initial glance through reviews, it seems to be well received."

She was new to me as well; always a nice surprise to discover a new writer, Em..

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments February's genre challenge, Mysery/Detective fiction. Have searched through my books and when I finish one of the two I'm currently reading.... Nature's End by James W. Kunetka and Terry Jones' Barbarians by Terry Jones , I've chosen The Red House Mystery by A.A. Milne by A.A. Milne

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments Starting my genre challenge today as I've finished Terry Jones' Barbarians this morning and quite enjoyed.. On to The Red House Mystery.

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments finished my Feb genre challenge, 17 Feb 2011. It was a good story, I liked the ending, it tricked me partially. I give it 3 stars. Nice humour as well.

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments March - Classics.. Think I'll read Aldous Huxley, Brave New World.

message 8: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Great choice! My old paperback copy totally disintegrated and all pages fell out - sellotape won't touch it so will need to replace it at some point.

message 9: by stan (new)

stan (stanthewiseman) | 28 comments I think I might read A James Hadley Chase ."NO Orchids for Miss Blandish" in March

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments Em wrote: "Great choice! My old paperback copy totally disintegrated and all pages fell out - sellotape won't touch it so will need to replace it at some point."

I've had mine since my university days, a '75 edition, that was for one of my favourite English courses, The Science Fiction novel. :0) I've got to say, I can't remember much about this novel, so it's like starting over.

message 11: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments Finished Brave New World tonight and found it an interesting story. Since Mar has just started, I'm going to read another classic this month; starting The Picture of Dorian Gray

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments I finished Dorian Gray this morning. I have mixed feelings about it. I enjoyed the concept and overall I enjoyed the story. I think I was expecting more though; I don't exactly know what more, but it left me feeling somewhat wanting. I give it 3 stars. I'm starting a collection of SciFi short stories now, Burning Chrome by William Gibson

message 13: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments Must admit I do fancy reading Dorain Gray, might have to get it.

message 14: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments It's worth the read, Helen.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Helen wrote: "Must admit I do fancy reading Dorain Gray, might have to get it."

I have read it and enjoyed it too.

message 16: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments It's still Mar so I guess I've got time for one more classic, E.M. Forster's Howards End.

message 17: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments Still have to finish Howard's End, but for the April challenge, I've decided to read A Soldier First Bullets, Bureaucrats and the Politics of War by Rick Hillier by General Richard Hillier, Rick Hillier.

message 18: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments Finished A Soldier First: Bullets, Bureaucrats and the Politics of War tonight. Think it's worth a 3 out of 5, interesting buy not my favourite biography

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments Finished Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury today and thoroughly enjoyed. Waiting in anticipation to see what June's challenge will be.. :0)

message 20: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments Reading The Time Thief by Linda Buckley-Archer for June's Fantasy theme. I hope it qualifies..

message 21: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments I totally enjoyed The Time Thief by Linda Buckley-Archer. It was an excellent sequel to the first book in the trilogy. I now have to buy the third book.. Currently reading The Redbreast by Jo Nesbø

message 22: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments For the July theme, Young Adult, I'm going to reread The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

message 23: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments I finished The Outsiders and enjoyed it every bit as much as the first time I read it. Very touching story.

message 24: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments I've read my August genre challenge. It was such a humourous, gentle book. Since there is still a long month to go, I'm going to take on another humourous book, A Piano in the Pyrenees by Tony Hawks by Tony Hawks

message 25: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3500 comments Mod
Bill wrote: "I've read my August genre challenge. It was such a humourous, gentle book. Since there is still a long month to go, I'm going to take on another humourous book, [bookcover:A Piano in the Pyrenees|3..."

Funny how some genres are easier to get through than others!!!!

message 26: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments Liz wrote: "Bill wrote: "I've read my August genre challenge. It was such a humourous, gentle book. Since there is still a long month to go, I'm going to take on another humourous book, [bookcover:A Piano in t..."

Indeed, especially if they are well-written as well. I've enjoyed the humour genre challenge. Quite enjoying Piano in the Pyrenees at the moment. Tony Hawks has a nice way with words.

message 27: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments I'm reading Her Fearful Symmetry at the moment and I'm hoping that will fit into the magical realism category. If not, I'll read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell afterwards..

message 28: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments I've chosen Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson by Robert Louis Stevenson as my gothic horror for October. I've never read and had it sitting on my bookshelf for quite awhile. Looking forward to finally reading it.

message 29: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
Good choice Bill - I'm thinking of doing Dracula by Bram Stoker by Bram Stoker

message 30: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments I think I tried it once when I was much, much younger, Ian, but never finished. Odd because I do enjoy a good vampire story. Good luck with it, if you end up going with that choice.

message 31: by Ian, Moderator (new)

I'm not into vampires at all, but thought I'd try out the original

message 32: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments Well, you've definitely picked the classic that started them all. :0)

message 33: by Ian, Moderator (new)

I think its a kindle classic freebie as well - must go and check it out

message 34: by Ian, Moderator (new)

It is indeed - just downloaded

message 35: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments Ian wrote: "It is indeed - just downloaded"

I haven't gotten to that technology yet. I'm avoiding totally.

message 36: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments I'm surprised how quickly The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror went by. It was an excellent story and told from a perspective I wasn't aware of. I went into it with certain preconceptions, but the story itself is much different from the parts of movies I've seen. It was very good, well-written and flowed nicely. I may have to read another horror story.. Would The Invisible Man be considered horror or scifi?

message 37: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments I finished my November genre challenge, reading Spies of the Balkans A Novel by Alan Furst by Alan Furst and loved it. 5 stars! He was a new author for me, discovered totally by chance and I'm glad I tried him out. Great story! Since it's so early in the month, I'm going to read another Spy/ Adventure, a classic by John Buchan, The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan , one I've read a few times before, but feel like dusting off again.

message 38: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments I've finished The Thirty-Nine Steps and it did not disappoint. I'm going to work in one more spy novel, since it's still early in November, When Eight Bells Toll by Alistair MacLean

message 39: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments For the December, short story genre, I'm starting with The Seeds of Time by John Wyndham by John Wyndham

message 40: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments And for double the fun, I've started Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl by Roald Dahl.

message 41: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments For my January Non-fiction challenge, I'm reading The Zimmermann Telegram by Barbara W. Tuchman by Barbara Tuchman

message 42: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments I have a couple of books on the go at the moment, but have an idea of what to read for the February genre challenge. Must thing about it some more.. :0)

message 43: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments Well, I've checked them out and I think it's a no-brainer. For the February challenge the plan is to read Long Way Round Chasing Shadows Across the World by Ewan McGregor by Ewan McGregor. I got it for the missus for Xmas a couple of years back and have been interested in reading it. I think it'll fit the bill, adequately.

message 44: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments I finished my genre challenge this morning and wasn't overwhelmed. I think the documentary might have been more interesting. It was an ok story, Ewen McGregor and Charley Boorman and their party travelled to some very primitive places on their motorbikes, but I didn't really feel the tension, or even any humour in their descriptions of their travels. 3 Stars.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Bill wrote: "I finished my genre challenge this morning and wasn't overwhelmed. I think the documentary might have been more interesting. It was an ok story, Ewen McGregor and Charley Boorman and their party tr..."

Thats sad! I have Long Way Down to read for my genre one and now I have been put off! I didn't see the series on tv though either.

message 46: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments Lynne - The Book Squirrel wrote: "Bill wrote: "I finished my genre challenge this morning and wasn't overwhelmed. I think the documentary might have been more interesting. It was an ok story, Ewen McGregor and Charley Boorman and t..."

Don't go by what I've said, it's just one person's opinion. I would be interested to see what you think about it.

message 47: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3500 comments Mod
Bill wrote: "I finished my genre challenge this morning and wasn't overwhelmed. I think the documentary might have been more interesting. It was an ok story, Ewen McGregor and Charley Boorman and their party tr..."

The TV series is good (better than the book, by the sounds of it!)

message 48: by Ian, Moderator (new)

TV series was good.

message 49: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments Starting a second book in the Feb genre challenge, Outposts Journeys to the Surviving Relics of the British Empire by Simon Winchester by Simon Winchester. I do generally enjoy Winchester's style.

message 50: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2764 comments Not having much of anything to choose from, I've probably gone a bit overboard looking for Romance/ Erotica for the March challenge. I'm going to start with The Virgin And The Gypsy by D.H. Lawrence. I've got a few others that I picked up this weekend that can also be used if I finish too early...; Lady Chatterley's Lover, Lolita, The French Lieutenant's Woman or Summer of '42.

« previous 1