Reformed Readers discussion

Archive > Advice On Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (sciencemom) Hello everyone!
Could you recommend a book that explains the history of The Reformation? I am looking for something that is not too long, because my husband would like to read it and he is not an avid reader. It should be historically accurate and explain the attitudes and general practices of Christians prior to, during and after the Reformation.

Thanks!

message 2: by Al (new)

Al (retreadmaj) Cathy wrote: "Hello everyone!
Could you recommend a book that explains the history of The Reformation? I am looking for something that is not too long, because my husband would like to read it and he is not an a..."

You could try http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28056...

which is a decent general history that mixes in political, cultural, and intellectual history.

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (sciencemom) Thanks Al. I appreciate your response. I'm not sure that book is what I'm looking for, although it is probably an excellent book.

I was first considering "The Reformation: A History" by Diarmaid MacCulloch, but it's too long. I guess I need "A Brief History of the Reformation"! I myself could read MaCulloch's book (and may), but my husband is more of a "200 pages of casual reading per year" kind of guy. He mostly reads professional journals and the sports page. Any other suggestions?

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (sciencemom) @Jason - He's a paper kind of guy! No ebooks. Enjoy the birthday party! Ours are 9 and 11 now and starting to feel a little too grown up!

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (sciencemom) One of the things that has concerned me, as I read reviews, is the painting of Catholicism as evil. I'd like a more balanced view. Protestants aren't so perfect either. In fact, I've been wondering if I should read one book written from the reformers' point of view and one from the Catholic point of view.

I feel I should post my reason for this query. I've been reading "Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles". John Knox is a major character in the novel. I was raised as a Presbyterian and feel let down by the Knox in the book. Since I understand that it's historical fiction (with the emphasis on fiction), I wanted to find out more about that era.

message 6: by Coyle (new)

Coyle | 19 comments For a short history of the Reformation, The Unquenchable Flame is a good one. Also, if MacCulloch is too long for you, your might try out a bio of Luther or Zwingli. Bainton's Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther is the best one available. Also an option if your husband is interested in primary sources, there's a short book called A Reformation Debate that has a brief tract by a Catholic and a brief tract in response by John Calvin (which Luther read and approved of) that covers both sides of the issues pretty well.

Good luck!

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (sciencemom) Interesting suggestions. Thanks!!!
Now if it would just stop snowing......