Classic Movie Fans discussion

10 views
Classic Actors > Underrated Actors

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eugenia (new)

Eugenia | 59 comments Mod
There are ton of underrated actors, who do you believe they are?

Wendell Corey
Joseph Cotten, he was such an excellent actor
Lon Chaney, Jr.
Vincent Price, he was famous but most people don't know the professional and hardwork he put into his craft and it's ashame.
Basil Rathbone
Nigel Bruce
Leslie Howard, who not only a wonderful actor but a extremely handsome one.
John Williams
Ray Milland
Edmund O'Brien


message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Vallery | 5 comments I will be watching a wonderful movie tonight on TCM, my favorite channel, In the Heat of the Night, with Sidney Poitier. He is an amazing African American actor who did most of his movies in the mid 60s to 70s. Now, I know I'm telling you all info. that you already know because you are classic movie fans yourself. But, I know it had to be very difficult to act during the 60s for him, but he really opened up the path to so many other great African American actors!


message 3: by Eugenia (new)

Eugenia | 59 comments Mod
Heat of the Night was an amazing movie. Really Sidney Poitier was just an amazing man. He did open a lot of doors in that movie and when he slaps the white man in that movie, I've heard stories that was the slap heard around the world. It changed the image of black people in films.


message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Lillies of the Field with Sidney Poitier is great. A Patch of Blue with Shelley Winters showed his great qualities as an actor. Also Guess Whos Coming to Dinner. A Classic of Poitiers.


message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily (egwinfrey) John Garfield. A really talented actor who was blacklisted in the early 50s before he died at age 39. I am really impressed with his roles in Four Daughters, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Humoresque, and Gentleman's Agreement.


message 6: by Eugenia (new)

Eugenia | 59 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "John Garfield. A really talented actor who was blacklisted in the early 50s before he died at age 39. I am really impressed with his roles in Four Daughters, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Humore..."

I'm gonna have to agree big time with this, I've seen 'The Postman Always Rings Twice' that was great. I watched a movie with him and Joan Crawford the other day, he was violinist from the rough part of town, she was his patron, she was married and they fell in love. I never got to see the name of it, would you know it? It was wonderful, the guy who played his friend was hilarious in it but it was sad movie.


message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily (egwinfrey) Eugenia wrote: "Emily wrote: "John Garfield. A really talented actor who was blacklisted in the early 50s before he died at age 39. I am really impressed with his roles in Four Daughters, The Postman Always Rings..."

The violin film is Humoresque. I just rewatched that on TCM last week...I had forgotten how sad it was.


message 8: by Eugenia (new)

Eugenia | 59 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "Eugenia wrote: "Emily wrote: "John Garfield. A really talented actor who was blacklisted in the early 50s before he died at age 39. I am really impressed with his roles in Four Daughters, The Post..."

That's when I caught it just flipping through the channels, I stopped and started watching and I was hooked, it was great. Loved all the Cole Porter songs, it was really good. What can I say, I really do enjoy Joan Crawford's acting.


back to top