For The L♥ve of Reading discussion

archives > Books, Life, & Chit Chat ~Early 2011~

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

How was everyone's New Year?

What type of goals have you set for yourself?

What do you think of the book goal setter that GoodReads has provided this year?

message 2: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ last year i read ninety books! unbelievable. i guess 2010 was the first complete year i kept track of books on goodreads.

this year i just want to see how my reading continues. i don't like to set goals because reading to me feels more natural if i just read what i come across.

i love the goal setter! it's a good idea. and i love the stats key which tells you how many books and pages you've read.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 300 comments My new years was okay this year. I got to see my sister who was in town and I always miss her when she has to go home.

I really just want to read more books than I did last year. I read 147 books last year, so even if I only make it to 148, that works for me. I'm so excited for this year in books, it's going to be a good one.

@Elizabeth - I LOVE the stats key! It is one of my favorite features of Goodreads.

@Lyss - Haven't seen the book goal setter, but I'm so looking for that in a min. Love this group.

What books is everyone looking forward to the most this year??

message 4: by Mad Scientist (new)

Mad Scientist (madscientist) | 50 comments Mod
The stats available has been a great addition to this site!

The book goal setter is right on the home page on the sidebar. I ran across and clicked bc I'm a curious goose sometimes. LOL!

Most looking forward to.... Some of the books I just finished purchasing. I know it was more then 20. The question is which one first.

I think Personal Demons for the Fallen Angel theme :)

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 300 comments I hear personal demons is really good. Kate did a review on group blog about it.

message 6: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) I need help.

should i get Jenna & Jonah's Fauxmance or Other Words for Love for my kindle right now?

message 7: by Max (new)

Max (maxbob) Woohoo - I just hit 200 books in my list (ok, only 143 read but still!!). Just finished my first Louis de Berniers book Senor Vivo and the Coca Lord and started on Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha.
I'm reading from A-Z of authors I've not read before, Dickens (Charles) and Doyle (Arthur Conan) to go and I'll be onto 'E' :D
All recommendations gratefully received!

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 300 comments @Stray - I'll need to look those up. I think the Fauxmance one looked funny, I need to check out the other. Just a sec.

message 9: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Jen, thanks but I already got Other words for love because fauxmance wasnt available where i live

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 300 comments odd. Amazon is super weird sometimes.

message 11: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) agreed

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 300 comments @Max, congrats!! That kind of thing is always fun for me to see. I'm somewhat addicted to seeing the "books read" section rise. It's really addicting to watch the pages one rise as well.

message 13: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 23 comments I love being able to set a reading goal on here! Its fun watching how quickly (or slowly) I am progressing towards my goal. The additions of the stats are really fun too. i have set myself at a goal for 200 books this year. I have never kept track of it before. I just recently found sites like GoodReads and LibraryThing that make me excited to share all of my reading activities! It's great fun!

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 300 comments @Amy - I totally agree. Last year was the very first time I kept track all year long and it's amazing to see what I can actually bust out. I love the pages stats portion because I never really thought about how many pages I read in a year. I also think being able to see what I read makes me want to read more. I love goodreads. I like being able to keep all the books I've read in one place and all the ones I would like to read. It's nice when it's time to pick a new book to read. :D

message 15: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i think setting goals causes me to be a slower reader. is that the same for others?

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 300 comments @Elizabeth - Sometimes. It seems that everything I pick up I've been putting down lately. I feel like I'm already failing at my goal and it's only February. It's weird how that happens. Although, I think at the end of the year, I'll massively pick up to try and make the goal. Procrastination in goals. :D

message 17: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) lol I know what you mean *blushes*

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 300 comments @Stray - You been having trouble with books too? I feel like most of the ones I pick up lately are just not that good. Although, Anna and the French Kiss, it rocked, so thanks for that one, but there have been like 5 others I've picked up only to put back down. I don't know if it's me or the books.*sigh*

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I'm working my way thru the divine series by PC Cast, I'm on book 3, Divine by Blood, and I just can't get in to it. The whole series has been that way, but since I already own them I feel like I have to read them.

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 300 comments @Jennifer - I really hate when that happens. You feel like since I spent the money....gotta finish them. Been there done that. Now, I just buy the first book before I buy any others. Or I get them at the library first. It's better for my pocket book too if I don't like them. I feel for you though, I've never read those books, but still, I get ya!

message 21: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 23 comments Jen, you aren't the only one having issues with books lately. I'm not sure if my choosing books has been "off" or what the problem is. I have never started and not finished so many books in my life! I think I have put down at least 4 or 5 books in the last 2 or 3 months. I haven't put books down in years prior to these last few months. The new ones I have found that I love though, I REALLY love. The ones that I hate...I have despised! LOL

message 22: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Jen wrote: "@Stray - You been having trouble with books too? I feel like most of the ones I pick up lately are just not that good. Although, Anna and the French Kiss, it rocked, so thanks for that one, but t..."

some time ago, yeah, though thankfully it didn't last long. i was seriously doubting today's YA literature quality in general for a while though

message 23: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbaradesimone51gmailcom) | 13 comments Hi-I've been out of touch for months, but want to catch up. I too have been picking books up and putting them down and I rarely do that. Elizabeth, I have the same problem with setting goals for reading. I have so many goals with other parts of my life, I just want to read for fun and not worry about making any goals. I think I will keep track of what I read though-that will keep me from picking up the same book a year later! I need to go thru Goodreads and find some good books to read.

message 24: by Jen (last edited Feb 10, 2011 08:32AM) (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 300 comments @Amy - I feel yah there! I've never had such a problem, never not finished so many books. And then, the ones I find that I love, I really love. I don't know, it saddens me a bit. I hope it gets better.

@Stray - I've been seriously doubting what's being published as of late. I just don't get it. I was reading this post on Patricia Briggs home site about publishers and agents and the things going on and to be careful if you're looking to get published and it worries me for today's literature. That making the almighty dollar (albeit important for life), is going to pounce and take precedence over a good literature. *sigh* I really hope not.

@Barbara - I almost feel like not making the reading goal may have been wiser. I'm glad I did it because I don't make many goals, but I may not make it again next year. I enjoy keeping track of my books, like you said though. Oh, and Goodreads is such an excellent place to find books to read. I like being able to view the actual reviews of those who've read it and see the overall rating. Plus, when you make friends on here with similar reading interests, I like getting the email with their picks. Sometimes I find books I never would have found in the first place.

message 25: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) me either. that would suck

message 26: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbaradesimone51gmailcom) | 13 comments I just finished a wonderful book. Ape House by Sara Gruen (writer of "Water for Elephants". We were all complaining about not having anything good to read-this is it. I don't want to spoil anything, so just pick it up. Believe me, it's terrific.

message 27: by Jen (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 300 comments I heard really good things about Water for Elephants. I may have to give it a try (Ape House too).

message 28: by Max (new)

Max (maxbob) @Jen - sorry matey, missed your comment back a few weeks ago! I'm almost finished on 'D' now, read some Sherlock Holmes for the first time (loved it!) and am reading 'Tale of Two Cities' at the moment - really off-genre for me but I'm loving it!
I'm liking the sound of 'Water for Elephants' - not long until I'll be on 'G' :D