Axis Mundi X discussion

Green Architecture for China Olympics

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
I saw a National Geographic program about the buildings that have been designed and built in Beijing for the Olympics this month. Freaking AMAZING (and yes I have already over used that word today and it's not even noon). Check them out:

http://www.wesay.com/Top_Photos/Show....

http://www.china.org.cn/english/2004/...

Just mind blowing design. I recommend checking out any documentary programming you come across about the building of them.

message 2: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments BunWatt - Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

message 3: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

NB... look! It's your new career calling you!

message 4: by Cyril (new)

Cyril An interesting interview with one of the designer's of the "Bird's Nest" Beijing National Stadium:

http://olympics.blogs.nytimes.com/200...

message 5: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

I saw on the news tonight that there's so much pollution in Beijing that the US athletes are training thousands of miles away until just prior to their event. That's brutal.

message 6: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (last edited Aug 04, 2008 09:05PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
You would think that excessive pollution would disqualify a city for consideration of hosting the Olympics. It should, anyway.
I guess they don't ask the athletes where they'd like to compete, do they?

message 7: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

nope. Pretty gross though, right? I guess that blows the lid off how we're the worst polluters on the planet. We don't even begin to compare to China.

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 83 comments Wow! I always wanted to go to China and enlist in the Terracotta Army. ;)

message 9: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments Thasss right...China is the gross polluter bar none. (psssssst just don't tell the Goreacle)

BunWatt that link was too damn funny. And in Multnomah no less. Beutiful area...kooky peeps, but no worse than the average NorCal asstard. Can I put you n the DakChar down as references? Do you think lack of opposable thumbs will be an issue?

message 10: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

I am happy to refer you as kooky.... oh wait, that wasn't what you meant? : )

(psst... the Goreacle invented China)

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
The buildings might be cool, But I think walking those streets is an instant cancerous tumor.

message 12: by Lara (new)

Lara Messersmith-Glavin (knifemaker) | 2 comments I just got back from living in China for a year. The pollution in Beijing is so bad some days that you can't see farther than a city block.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker/

Right now, one of the biggest concerns of the team managers is how to keep their athletes in oxygen masks for as long as possible before their events without embarrassing the Chinese government and creating a diplomatic incident.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I want an oxygen mask! They look cool. And I hear pure oxygen feels good. Where do I get some?

message 14: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

if the Chinese government doesn't want to be embarrassed perhaps they should concentrate on higher emission standards in their country. Just a thought.

message 15: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

awesome... tinkering with the weather for appearances. now I LOVE China.

message 16: by Cyril (last edited Aug 05, 2008 11:12PM) (new)

Cyril Terrible smog is a problem in many Asian (and other) cities. I've experienced it all over India (they call it "haze"), in Thailand and Singapore. I think it used to be a big problem in early industrial London and even after:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Sm...

message 17: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments Oh hey...thanks for the references gals! You'll know when it's time to "stretch the truth".

message 18: by Lara (new)

Lara Messersmith-Glavin (knifemaker) | 2 comments The cloud seeding is really interesting - you can set your watch by the 3 0'clock rain showers right now. It's not helping the air much, unfortunately. They've also shut down a lot of industry and are making the cars run on opposite-day rotations (odd and even numbered license plates) like Mexico City has done for years, but nothing is really working. It's a total nightmare over there. (Not to mention the human rights issues.)

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony "Other than pulling my treadmill into the garage, starting the car and hoping I come out two hours later, there isn't really a lot I can do to get ready for it."

Tim Berrett, Canadian racewalker, on the smog in Beijing

message 20: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments It will be interesting to watch the aftermath unfold. It is a rare thing indeed to have the Olympics hosted by a totalitarian regime. When it is was in Berlin '36, the Nazi's eased up on the usual restrictions placed upon the populace and generally put on the happy face but went right back to form afterward. (side history: Fritz Witt led the color guard during the opening ceremonies and later went on to command the 12th SS Hitler Jugend in Normandy and later gained the disntinction as the youngest general to die in action of all of WWII)

In the Soviet Union, the governmet cracked down hard on the populace.

In South Korea, the Olympics helped to open up a repressive regime and eventually that govt was replaced.

Today, we're seeing a very nasty crackdown by the ChiComs. So far, I think they've bungled things bigtime. If things continue as is, they are going to have major egg on their collective sour faces.

message 21: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

can i throw it? cuz that sounds like fun.

message 22: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments Here try this :::hands DakChar a lawn dart:::

message 23: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

:::wishes she had an RPG instead::::

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
anything involving a lawn dart is good