Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Movies & TV > Corrina Corrina w Whoopi Goldberg, Ray Liotta

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) This came out when I was in high school. I thought it was a very nice film and I have it on DVD. I am not the biggest Whoopi fan. I liked Whoopi better in comedies. I don't buy her in dramas too much. I guess because she's really a comedianne and that's the side of her I like to see. It's just a personal taste. I LOVE Ray Liotta but I did not buy the romance between these two. It's no knock against either one of the actors but it just didn't seem to fit. The movie was fine showcasing Whoopi's connection to the child and I thought the romance was forced and it just didn't seem believable to me. They didn't fit as a couple because all the way through the film they were friends then it's like they threw that kiss in there and it made no sense.

Overall, yep this is one of the most memorable movies of the 1990's. I do watch a lot of Whoopi's films but like I said, I enjoy her in certain things. I do recommend this to someone who wants to watch a nice, family wholesome film.

Best Wishes!

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
I think they were afraid to make the romance more apparent. That's why it wasn't believable. I think they had good chemistry on it, but the director was being wimpy about that coming through, which makes you wonder what the point of it was....

Although I agree that Whoopi is better at comedy, I think she's a very good dramatic actress. But that's just my opinion. BTW, I just love Whoopi Goldberg. Not that she's perfect, but she makes me feel sunny inside for some reason.

message 3: by Bekah, Mod (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 113 comments Mod
I LOVE Corrina Corrina!! I love Ray Liotta too! Great movie!

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Jan 14, 2011 05:47AM) (new)

I don't mind a subtle romance. Some of my fave romance movies are the no sex ones like Leap Year and Laws of Attraction, and the one with David Duchovny and Minnie Driver where she gets his dead wife's heart. I actually prefer it because I like the old-fashioned vibe. I just felt like there was a hesitation to go there in this one.

I haven't watched all of Monster's Ball, but the dynamic there made sense for those characters. They were very damaged, hurting people. Some people seek solace in very primal sex.

message 5: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2005 comments Mod
This is one of my fave movies. :-) Loved it!

postcrdprincess | 383 comments I too loved this movie.

I think the way they hinted at the romance is probably what made the movie. If they had pushed the romance aspect, I think it would have taken away from the true point of the movie.

message 7: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Jan 16, 2011 04:59PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) I judge movies and books the same. With me, if there's gonna be a romance, build up to it correctly. Don't just stick it in an hour or more after the movie's been on like, "Oh let's put them together." If it had started out where they seemed to have romantic feelings for each other at the beginning, I would have bought it. But not when you wait more than halfway in the movie, close to the end. I'm like that with anything I watch. Don't just throw it in and not build up to it you know? I like the build up and that's what makes a romance believable. They had plenty of time to build up a romance between Whoopi and Ray and so I wondered why they didn't do it from the beginning. I guess the focus was more on her and the child, but if so, then leave it that way. Just never saw why there had to be a romance when it wasn't an inkling there would be one. It's like when you read a book and the author throws something in there from left field that doesn't even fit, but I guess for the purpose of them just to do so. LOL!

So my main problem was lack of build up and that's what made it unrealistic. Until that kiss and when they played that piano together, there was NO clue these two were falling in love. So that's why I just didn't buy it. Personally I saw they had better chemistry as friends.

Danielle, I do like Whoopi in some dramatic roles but maybe I am biased because I love comedies. LOL! I loved Tom Hanks until he ditched comedies and went drama. Tom does NO comedies anymore and I don't like any of the dramas he's been on. Anyway...

Best Wishes!

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I agree with you completely about Tom Hanks. I loved his comedies, Stacy-Deanne.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (Joycee) | 103 comments Please help if you can. Does anyone remember seeing this movie? I can't remember the name. It was out about ten, maybe fifteen years ago. It had Sam Waterson of the late "Law and Order". He played a plantation owner who raped a young black slave, played by the same black woman on the show "Man of a Certain age." Anyhow, he raises their daughter to believes she is white. When he dies he leave the plantation to her causing a big court case. I wish I could remember the name of this movie and where I could get it at.

message 10: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6626 comments Mod
Dee, are you talking about A House Divided? I don't recall every seen this movie.

http://www.amazon.com/House-Divided-V...

message 11: by Arch , Mod (new)

I remember Sam Waterston from the TV show, I'll Fly Away. I use to love watching that show. I also remember seeing him play as Abraham Lincoln.

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (Joycee) | 103 comments "A House Divided." That it, thank you,

message 13: by Arch , Mod (new)

You are welcome Dee.

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (Joycee) | 103 comments I enjoyed it (not the raping part) He was a man of his time, she was a strong willed and smart woman determined to make sure her daughter would not end up being a slave. He loved her, but was bound by society's rules.

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (Joycee) | 103 comments I also like him on "I'll Fly Away." That was one on my favorite shows.

message 16: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

He was really good in Man in the Moon, Reese Witherspoon's first movie. That's one of my faves.

message 17: by Arch , Mod (new)

That movie came on yesterday Rae.

message 18: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Aw it did? If I would have known, I would have tuned in. :-)